Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats best stromberg97 or holley 94

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r600, Jan 4, 2010.

1. r600

r600

can anyone tell whats best stromberg 97 or holley 94?do they have the same baseplate pattern???cheers adrian

2. Holley: better and cheaper; Stromberg: cooler and more expensive, just like everything in life.

P.S. Same baseplate pattern. Both look cool and are traditional.

3. The Holley flows a little more air.

4. R Pope

R Pope

97's are better for multicarb setups, the 94 has a vacuum power valve that doesn't work well with more than one. That's why 97's are the standard hot rod carb on hot flatheads.
    For a single carb, the 94 is probably the way to go.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

97's do not have a venturi vacuum for stock type 50-53 loadamatic distributors. In case you plan on using one.

6. r600

r600

i want to run eelco 4barrel adaptor with 2 holley 94 on small australian v8 with 253 cubes,will this be ok or stromberg 97 better suited???help

7. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have 94's for my Y block . If I could afford the Stromberg 97 , I would use them . They are easier to get to run on multi carb set ups . On the other hand there are many posts and articles about the rebuilds and what size power valves to use on the Holley 94 . Not really that hard to rebuild either and the Holleys are 1/2 the price ! Parts for both carbs are very easy to get . Either one will do the same thing performance wise .
    It really comes down to what you want and what you can afford !

RetroJim

9. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I am sitting back with my popcorn watchin this one.

10. qcy2k6

qcy2k6

Holley 94s are the best way to go.

11. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

And you're basing this statement on what? :confused: Have you owned both carbs and installed them on the same engine? Swapped jets, tuned for max performance and tested acceleration times? You haven't? Ahhh... thanks for adding so much crucial info to this thread.

r600 - Either carb would be fine for your engine size. Possibly the 97's would run better, due to reasons mentioned above. However, the quality of the carb and the tune on your engine could make all the difference in the world if not done properly... no matter if the 94 or 97 was bolted on.

12. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Nailheadroadster has the right idea and some good advise. Actually, either carbie will suit your need. The secret to success is to tune them together for your motor. Just remember opinions are sometimes like bootys, everybody has one.

13. krooser

krooser

No matter which carb you use make sure rebuild 'em with a quality carb kit and use new shafts and linkage as needed... loose throttle shafts are a no-no.

If you buy NEW '97's buy the "genuine" article NOT Speedy Bill's...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010