Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest DRAG RACING a little less cool today...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James Maxwell, Jan 7, 2010.

1. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

<table class="contentpaneopen"><tbody><tr><td class="contentheading" width="100%">BREAKING NEWS - PRUDHOMME ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"><td valign="top"><table class="artinfo_block" width="100%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle"> Written by Skip Allum Thursday, 07 January 201015:48 </td> <td class="buttonheading" align="right" valign="top"> [​IMG] </td> <td class="buttonheading" align="right" valign="top"> [​IMG] </td> <td class="buttonheading" align="right" valign="top"> [​IMG] </td> </tr></tbody></table></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    Don “The Snake” Prudhomme, one of the most accomplished drivers and revered team owners in the history of motorsports, announced his retirement today, thus ending a career spanning five decades in the sport of drag racing.

Prudhomme’s 47-year career saw him behind the wheel for 32 seasons before he retired from driving at the end of his 1994 “Final Strike” campaign. He then transitioned to the role of team owner where he led his teams and drivers for the past 15 seasons. Overall, Prudhomme has totaled an impressive combination of six National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) World Championships and 112 National Event victories.

“I feel very fortunate to have been able to make a living in drag racing and to have enjoyed some success along the way,” said Prudhomme. “I would like to thank all of the great sponsors we’ve worked with over the years, everyone at NHRA, the many track owners, operators and promoters, our past employees and team members, and all of the drag racing fans that have supported Snake Racing.”

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Time to kick back. He's earned it.

3. jangleguy

jangleguy

So, does this mean Tom McEwen wins?

4. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Yep!:)

5. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Seems like I read someplace he had been thinking about hanging it up anyway, then a couple of his sponsors pulled the plug.

Can't say I blame him. Time to go fishing or something.

6. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

The Mongoose always wins........well,:D almost always.

7. puschrod

puschrod

He's going to have alot more fun going to nostalgia drag races with all his restored race cars then he did being an owner of a team in todays NHRA. He never liked the big money/corporate america racing and talked about the old days any chance he could. Not having to chase down sponsors all the time is reason enough to get out of it. I wish him the best. He was always cool to the fans at the races and never acted like the racing super star that he is. He's just another car guy. Gotta respect that!!

8. Damn,,,,,,,,,,,,he has always been my wifes favorite. I'm not too sure that she wouldn't run off with if she had the chance. Hmmm, maybe I'll just keep this from her.

9. NHRA Drag Racing is gonna be a lot less cool without the Snake. He was always too cool to be either controversial or a milk toast corporate yes man.

10. 150J/F

150J/F

Gonna miss this guy...NHRA racing just won't be the same without him.

11. Wow,good for him. As was stated,now he can enjoy life. I met him and Tom back in the '70's up at Tri-City Dragway;two of the best folks out there. Best of luck,Snake!

12. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Well deserved to a Legend in Drag Racing.. Time to spend his retirement with Lynn, Donna and hope to see him with a Snake N/FC in the near future

13. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I'm sure the economy had a lot to do with his retirement but I'm betting he will be around a lot, racing is in his blood. Just look at Don Garlits. At 77 years old he is behind the wheel again! Last year Garlits was driving his Pro Stock Challenger. I wish Prudhomme the best but I won't be surprised to see him at the track!

14. I expect to see more of this coming from the "big guys" along with some of the day to day fuel guys.and until somebody that really cares and understands NHRA is at the helm this is going to snowball..................That being said I wish Snake all the best,I will never forget when he was on ABC wide world of sports whe the guy crashed in front of him and he just cried thinkin the guy was dead.......Thanks DP

15. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Love this stuff.

It didn't take long for the new partnership of 23-year-old driver Don Prudhomme and 20-year-old car owner Roland Leong to bear fruit as they won the 1965 Winternationals in their national event debut together. Leong's mother, Teddy, third from left, was among those celebrating.

In Pomona, the Hawaiian made a dazzling series of runs between 7.75 and 7.87 to earn Prudhomme his first of 49 wins.

Attached Files:

16. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Even legends don't go on forever. He has certainly given us much, and certainly deserves to relax a little.

17. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Yup, besides the age of the old guys they are just not suited for the big corporate mentality required to run todays teams. I have not heard if Bernstien is in for next year or not? Shoemaker is the exception, but you have to remember he ran a big corporation before he got back into it with todays cars. Kallita also has been in big business besides racing.
    Please do not think of this as any sort of disrespect for the guys I grew up idolizing, just the way the sport has gone. The days of some poor schlub that could build his car, drive his car and wrench on his car are all long gone. Todays drivers must be (for lack of a better term) spokesmodels. And they must look good on TV.

Rant over....

18. BobK49

BobK49

Yeah, I was down til I read your post, but you're right, he'll be around, maybe with his ol pal The Mongoose!

And Al K, I met them both for the 1st time at TCD too.

19. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

That's exactly right! One of my all time heroes. I remember getting my knuckles rapped in 6th grade for drawing pics of the Greer-Black-Prudhomme dragster when I was supposed to be studying math or history or somethin'.

20. rockguy92

rockguy92

I had a chance to meet him in '75 at Indy. Nice guy until he started putting on the driving suit - then he was all business. I don't think I had ever seen such intensity in someones eyes as his in the staging lanes. But, that is why he was (is) The Snake.
    The Rock

21. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Perfect.... Just my opinion, NHRA will be facing many issues in the near future.... I for one will be very pleased with The Snake appearing at nostalgic events....

Nostalgia racing just became alot more kool with the likes of The Snake....

22. I'd drive 500 miles to a Nostalgia event before I'd drive across town to see a current NHRA meet. Many former and current top-names attend these events now. I've sat and talked with Roland Leong, Larry Reyes, 'Big', Larry Dixon (Jr.), Paul Romine, Ohio George and a few others at the HRR in Bowling Green and at the Nostalgia events in St. Louis & KC. I'd expect to see Snake at these deals as well.

Best Wishes to him and I hope he has FUN again with the cars and people who made him a legend.

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I used to drive by his shop in Anahiem on the way home from work. I stopped in one evening to look and basicly be a fan. He was there and I learned more in 15 minutes than I did in college. Quite a guy. I'm not surprised he's retiring. The total corpo environment takes all the fun out of it anyway. Its no longer a family event, $35.00 to get in the door. Fooooey.
    And, really, It took him this long to actually work what, 4 hours. LOL
    Best wishes, and a long retirement to you Snake.

24. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

i met don once at topeka drags back in 90 i think, he came up behind me on a moped and honked his horn, didnt know anyone was close to me ! he stopped and talked for a few and then went and signed a tool box they were giving away to some lucky dude. hes a real nice guy and hope him the best, maybe he'll have time to hang out on here now?

25. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Well now i guess theres NO reason to watch NHRA drag racing!

26. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Hold on there pal, it's still WAY better than any ball sport.

It's sad and amazing he couldn't find a new sponsor for his team. I mean it's THE SNAKE! ...I've known who the Snake was since I was real little thanks to Hotwheels.

27. choke

choke

When I had my shop at Sears Point Raceway, during one of the Nationals. The Snake came into the shop while I was welding. He wanted a catalog of our custom Harley frames. He was a very polite person and was concerned that he might be bothering me. What a trip the Snake thought he was bothering me!!! I heard from people that he was not very friendly while racing, but I guess he had his serious face on during the races. He seemed like a very personable guy to me. Very professional and polite with no ego or attitude at all!!! I went to old shop in So-Cal one time to buy a blower. He wasn't there but his employee showed us around. I don't think he's gotten rid of any of his old race cars. They were all in lofts in the shop complete!!! He should be able to keep busy just towing his old cars around the country displaying them.

28. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

it all about corprate money force would be gone too if he did not have the well run corporation he has it is so damm sad look at the the johnson boys I believe there both with out for 2010

29. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Very, Very sad.

My best Snake story was from Indy - We were on our way back to the Motel and stopped for gas - The Snake pulls up right next to us - My LiL brother pulls out his can of Skol And asks Snake if he would please sign it - He smile's, Sign's the can - then with a real serious look on his face say's ( You know, you really shouldnt chew that stuff - it's not good for you )...!!!

Drag racing needs guy's like Phrudomme - The fact that a star this bright could not find a sponser for even 10 race's this year is real bad news. It make's me think that any group saying ( things are turning around ) are just full of crap.