Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have a terrible dilemma!! I need opinions!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brittany Ghoul, Oct 11, 2009.

1. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Your dad is not trying to get you into a Honda, but a nice ride you could make into a nice custom.
    I do love the Buick, I have a 54 that I have had for years, but do yourself a favor and get into a nicer car, just make it your own afterwards.
    Go with your dad. He will be around long after your boyfriend is a distant memory.
    Believe me now or later, it doesn't matter, but it is the truth.
    wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

2. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So, do you love the Buick because you love the Buick, or because it was your exboy friends car and you still have a crush on him?

$5,000 is a pile of money for a 51 Dodge (isn't it a 4 door too?) Where would the Buick be with another $4,000 put into it, and who is doing the work? If Dad is a Mopar guy, he probably doesn't want anything to do with the Buick, or maybe the Buick has a real issue that would make it a bad car to repair. Maybe Dad's issue has nothing to do with the car, maybe it is with the ex, and as long as the Buick is around, so is he. Dad may think that if the Buick leaves, so will your ex. He may be right.

I'm thinking you and Dad need to look at other cars in the $5,000 range and see if you can find something you both like. Gene

3. punkspikes

punkspikes

keep the buick!!! that dodge was nice but not that nice. Oh and my knees still hurt from that damn lil ass backseat

mark

4. That dodge looks pretty nice, your pop could get it a few bucks less, sell the buick back to your boyfriend for what you paid him for it, let him fix it up and both of you will nice rides to take to a show or two, agree on the less then honest to your pop post, after boy friends , friends and hubby's ..your pop no matter what will always be in your corner, dont mess that up, make him happy giving you a gift, take the dodge.

5. Brittany Ghoul

Brittany Ghoul
    from enumclaw

I love the Buick for the Buick. And he's not my ex-boyfriend, he's my current. You can even ask him, my love for the Buick is separate from the world. He was worried for the months preceding me buying it that as soon as I did buy it I was gonna break up with him (didn't happen).

6. Brittany Ghoul

Brittany Ghoul
    from enumclaw

Thankyou for all your opinions! This thread has gone so much farther in depth than I would have expected. I appreciate everything. A verdict has been reached though!!

Went to look at the Dodge.. It was nice. Not $5,500 nice though. Yeah, a lot nicer than my Buick, and it was pretty and what not, but I just didn't have that connection. I can't part with my Buick. That's that. :D
    And sorry you had to sit behind me in that little truck, Mark. :p

My boyfriend confirmed with my dad that it was nice but not perfect and my dad told me I'd be better off keeping my car and learning on it. So I have complete closure now and I'm much happier. :)

7. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Good call. Finally came to your senses. We're gonna need the contact info for the Dodge now...:)

Now to start a thread on Coke vs Pepsi.... hmmmmm

8. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Yea, it had low miles but it had seen alot in its days. The front floorpans had holes, and cancer had spread to the door jambs, and it looks like it had been tagged by a bumper on the rear quarter. More of a $2500 car.

Im glad you kept the buick darlin. No other car would suit you like it does. Now we just gotta get it pretty-er

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

A couple of things you might want to remember about your Buick:

1) It has the original Dynaflow, which is not very efficient. If you start having issues with the Dynaflow, and want to replace it with a better Dynaflow, get one from a 1953 Buick SPECIAL. This car has a straight eight like your's, but the 53 Dynaflow had twin turbines in the torque converter, which made for better pickup from a start. No other differences and it is a bolt in.

2) Remember this car has a torque tube enclosed driveshaft, and this is the worse part of the car as far as servicing, both driveshaft, and transmission.

As far as you and the Buick, well your avatar pretty much says it all. It kinda says DON'T MESS WITH ME AND MY BUICK. Like the hair color too.

Have fun and keep the hobby alive.

10. Brittany Ghoul

Brittany Ghoul
    from enumclaw

Well said :D

11. wood470

wood470

I never made the decision my Dad wanted me to make and about 80 % of the time it bit me in the ass, but I wouldn't change any of em.

it will never be your car if its the one he wants..

12. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

Good choice! Have fun!

13. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

proud of ya girl!!!!
    i wish i'd stuck with my gut on my ALFA and kept it, against the (now ex)wifes wishes. she was always worried about "putting good money into bad.", but i never felt the car was bad money because of the connection i had with the car, even though with a full resto it would NEVER be worth the money needed to get it there.
    i'm happy with the '58 caddy i have now (it helps that it has sentimental value due to who gave it to me.) but i would still love to have that old ALFA.

14. Old Dog

Old Dog

I think the real message here is "Baby girl get rid of the car and the boy that sold it to you and I'll buy you this Dodge".

15. Brittany;
    Decision made!
    Glad you don't have to cover the tatoo.;)
    LIFE,
    Buffalo Bill.

16. Brittany Ghoul

Brittany Ghoul
    from enumclaw

Wouldn't go back and change it for the world. And the tattoo I got as soon as I decided to keep it. :D Just to really drive the point home haha