Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs autoloc bearclaw.???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockin rebel, Jan 2, 2010.

1. I have read some bad stuff on here, about the parent company... But I want to buy the whole install kit with some kind of bearclaw latch.[ suicide the doors] any opinions or suggestions. thanks. They seem to be the only ones selling bearclaws on ebay.???:(

2. 6berry

6berry

i dont know if there is any other cheap alternatives to the autoloc stuff. maybe junk yard latches but idk any other options

3. I'm installing a set of their latches. They seem to be built OK.
    Many of the products they sell are pretty poor.

4. I just installed a set in a '41 Ford, seem good to me.

5. I have them on my truck and they work great! Never have heard anything bad about them yet.

6. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I installed a set of their "large" bearclaws on my truck. They are built well, and work fine.

7. Ole don

Ole don

Buy the bear claws anywhere except Auto Loc.

8. Weasel

Weasel

You could try Rocky Hinge - very helpful people and good quality products.

www.rockyhinge.com

9. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I like Watson's Street Works in CT, there msde is totally complete, every wire end, cable, hardware is there and very high quality google watsonstreetworks, nice helpful people too. A small mom and pop place, Steve and his wife Carol and maybe one or two employees.

10. they are actually some type of "utility latch?" pm SinisterCustom because i think he knows about them.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

12. cretin

cretin

I second Rocky hinge. They have bear claw latches with the solenoid built in so you only have to mount 1 thing in your door. I have put them in 2 vehicles and they work great.

13. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

i have the large bear claws in my doors, the quality is not as good as i thought it would be, i have had to make a repair on the right door, they are about one and a half year old

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You replied to the dude about the "parent company" and then you can't even remember. You're not very bright. Yes they make that crap. Get a clue already.

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

zman;
    Since I put you on my ignore list earlier today(you alone, are there), I can’t read your post because at the bottom of the thread it says;
    “This message is hidden because zman is on your ignore list”
    Since it’s obvious that you get all worked up every time you see my shadow I suggest you save yourself some grief and do likewise………. Have a good life. 29nash

Update. I got wishy-washy, took you off 'ignore', then you came back with more of your petty bullshit, so you are back on again. Just can't stand your boring disrespect of people that do it for themselves and don't hire you to do it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

awesome... now if we could only stop you from posting drivel.

17. We have an ignore list? Cool, did not know that. Now I can save myself from your proprietary knowledge.

Had a few dealings with this "parent company" line of prodocts. Particularly, the Zirgo fans and controllers come through my door. No where near the advertised CFM rating and just didn't work all that great. Quality was about on par for Harbor Freight type equipment.

Does that mean the latches are of the same quality, no. But I have a hard time supporting a company with such a track record and obvious penchant to outsource my entire hobby and livelihood "offshore" if you catch my drift.

18. Weasel

Weasel

I guess my first signature line applies here...:rolleyes:

19. Re: "Bear Claw" type latches

Check this company ..actually they are known as Rotary Latches..Tracked them down from the name on some latches that were in my Track T project... May have to replace what I have ..Don't know if you can buy direct from TriMark..may have to buy from a Distributor

http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/Index.aspx

Stan

20. I've used the ones made by TriMark and they're nice.

When you look for bear claw latches, look for the ones where the holes in the latch are tapped. It makes for a cleaner and simpler installation than the ones that just have through-holes that need nuts and bolts to hold them on. In really tight installations, you might not even have room to use nuts on the backside at all. It's a good idea to use some Lock-tite on the bolts that hold the latch in place on the door (since they tend to eventually wiggle loose without it).

21. I thank you all, very much...great place to get this kind of info..

22. Anderson

Anderson

Autoloc is the WalMart of the street rod aftermarket (well Speedway too).

They (the Hoffman Group) are sleazes who take everyone else's product, make a direct copy of it offshore, and sell it for half price yet advertise the same specs. Every bit of what they sell is a direct rip off of Lokar, Carolina Custom, Vintage Air, Ididit, etc. And it's all junk.

Rant over.

23. I've not had ANY issues with my Bearclaws yet........yet? damn
    Nonetheless, no issues.

24. sounds like "save your money" and find another option. aren't the rotary latches the type used on the sliding door of some delivery trucks?

25. hot-rods-to-infinity

hot-rods-to-infinity
    from iowa

I've used a M-G midget (1970'ish) latch bear claw type on my model A they are only 5/8 inch thick,2 1/2 wide and 4 3/4 long and I was able to modify the outside model A door handle to work and used the inside M-G handle to open it. Got a set off -bay for $15.00 also got the door glass to function with a little fab work. Its been 2 years and still works fine.

26. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

The ones in a cavalier or sunfire look pretty close to this design.

27. GO to an implement or heavy equiptment dealer. Thats what the first enterprising reseller did. They are found iin big trucks, tractors, loaders etc........

28. N8B

N8B

hmm, I just happen to have one of their suicide door kits for sale for cheap in the classifieds.
    You may even talk me out of the latches. PM me.
    Sorry had to do that.
    The latch systems seems pretty stout and thought out. (of course this is a set I have had for over 6 years and never installed) so they may have changed since then. The suicide kit I have is also as old. It is the 2 door self aligning systems. Once again it appears very stout, operates freely. I have never had the opportunity to check alignment though.

29. mogara

mogara

I believe Turbo26T is right, search for Rotary Latches. TriMark and Southco are a couple of the manufacturers. I bought a set of Bear Claws (whick work great) and showed them to my dad. He works on ambulances and had the very same latch on the shelf in his shop. He paid a fraction of what I did for them...

30. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

i used to work at a Freightliner dealership, they had and stocked 6 or more sizes, styles, strikers as well. any big truck shop , large truck stop w / service bays or body builder ( the kind who install boxes on work trucks ) will stock them and they are ment to be heavy duty, more so than other types possibly.

if you go near a freightshaker dealer, ask them to show you a setup from a "classic" cab.

pricing as i recall was not too bad.

hope it helps.

My 2 c worth,
    Derek