Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tommorrow is elvis' birthday!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unkledaddy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

2. Okievoodoo

Okievoodoo

No but buddy of mine is doing two tribute shows this weekend... and I'm have a nutter/nanna sandmitch...

All hail the KING!!!

3. billygoat67

billygoat67

i can remember the day he died , i was 11 yrs old walked into the house and the console stereo was on heard it there for the first time. i wasn't a big fan but my parents liked his music and watched his concerts on tv for free. wow times have changed.can you imagine where music would be today if he was still alive?
    and you talk about a car nut, check out some of his rides.
    R.I.P.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

it's also my grandson's birthday. he's the king too.

5. wfopossum

wfopossum

Gonna be playing Elvisfest here in chapel hill tommorow to honor the king.

6. ratster

ratster

to bad he was a junkie, he'd still be with us

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Day before my own!!! Of coarse it was a few years prior also.

8. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

maybe we'll get lucky and TNT will run a movie marathon! but seriously you have to give respect to the king at least musically

9. swimeasy

swimeasy

Thanks for the heads up! I always break out my mexican velvet Elvis artwork on the KINGS birthday- no kidding!

10. billygoat67

billygoat67

his movies are realy cool to. my fav is clambake, neat cars,boats and women. don't get any better

11. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

12. studematt

studematt

My son has the same birthday as the king and he will be four tommorrow. When you ask him who else has the same b-day he says Elvis. Oh and yes he already knows his music and who he is when he see's him on tv.

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

In the summer of 1956 I left Santa Barbara, California with my older brother to drive back east to Bar Harbor, Maine to visit our Dad. We were in my brother's customized '53 Ford: worked flattie, lowered, nosed, decked, shaved, skirts, lake pipes, '56 Olds taillights, duals with Smitty's and what I remember to be Delta-Polly Blue paint.

We had the AM radio on the whole way and the two songs that kept playing were
    "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley and "Transfusion" by Nervous Norvus. I'd never heard
    of Presley or Norvus til then but when I got to Maine I bought my first 45 record,
    "Hound Dog" on the RCA Victor label.

I was eleven years old that summer, and lucky enough to travel the full length of Route 66 in a Cal-Custom listening to Elvis!

Life was great!!! Different world then.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  14. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I saw Elvis live, twice.
    Once in Buffalo NY and the other time was on his only foreign tour.

15. Also the 30th anniversary of the death of my best Friend, My Dad, still miss ya Dad, RIP!!

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Named my dog after him

17. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Seen him two times when i was 12 :) what a show.

18. guiseart

guiseart

...where did I put my Elvis tree?

19. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I fucking love Elvis! Definately one of the coolest performers in music history. Story goes he shot one of his cars when it wouldn't start. Who else does some stuff like that then or now? I was 5 when he died, but I remember the day. It was like the world stopped turning. My mom had his albums and I used to listen to them all the time. I was crazy for Suspicious Minds, still am.

TCB forever!

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Headin to Memphis huh. Have fun. It's like an estate sale with nothing for sale and some dead people in the backyard by the pool.
    Dude

21. the king is dead long live the King!

22. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Tell me when its CASH`s birthday...Thanks

23. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

even thu i was a young pup when Elvis pasted, but i remember this date on the account its when my pops pasted due to a self inflicted gun shot wound, i sure do miss him everyday

24. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

back in the early 50's my family was driving north out of tupelo and spotted a young man carrying a guitar and thumb pointed north. we told him we was just heading a few miles further. he was happy to get the lift.
    when we got to our destination and i'll never forget what he said...thank ya....thank ya very much..as we drove off. i've often wondered...nahhhhhhh..just bullshit!!!

25. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

This thread was posted yesterday so today's the big guy's birthday. He'd have been 75,I think.
    The first record I ever had was Elvis's 45rpm "Heartbreak Hotel", which I found when I was a young kid while walking to church on a Sunday morning!
    Not to hijack this thread but does anybody know anything about "The Elvis Hot Rod" ...who built it, it's connection w. Elvis?

Attached Files:

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

"The Elvis Car: Profile of a Hot Rod."

Due to their frame design, Model A Fords don't look right as highboys. "The Elvis Car," John Athan's famed 1929 roadster, was one of the first cars to employ the time-honored solution of mounting a Model A body atop 1932 Ford rails.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 align=center sizset="62" sizcache="29"><TBODY sizset="62" sizcache="29"><TR sizset="62" sizcache="29"><TD sizset="62" sizcache="29"><CENTER sizset="62" sizcache="29">[​IMG]
    For "The Elvis Car," John Athan combined a Model A
    body with a Deuce frame. This clever trick would
    later become a classic modification.

</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    As a teenager in 1937, John bought the body for $7 and the Deuce frame for $5.50. He began building the car, but didn't finish it until after he returned home from military duty during WWII.

While Deuce rails would come into common use, John's roadster featured numerous touches that made it one of a kind. The windshield glass is the rear window from a 1939 Chrysler, and the surround and posts were cast and machined by John in his machine shop.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD><CENTER>[​IMG]
    John Athan tediously cast, machined and fitted
    many parts of "The Elvis Car" to give the hot rod
    its famously unique look.

John also cast the carburetor stacks, as well as the triangular receivers that connect the wishbone ends to the frame on each side. "I sold a lot of those pieces to Ed Almquist back then," explained John, "He included them in his catalog. We made a few bucks."

Other unique items include the handmade engine-turned dash, the 1940 Mercury trunk-handle/license-plate light, and the custom-bent headers. Cutting and fitting the headers was tedious, but they gave the car a unique look that was far ahead of its time.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 align=center sizset="68" sizcache="29"><TBODY sizset="68" sizcache="29"><TR sizset="68" sizcache="29"><TD sizset="68" sizcache="29"><CENTER sizset="68" sizcache="29">[​IMG]
    Athan's one-of-a-kind roadster was featured in
    many TV shows and movies. But it achieved
    legendary status after being driven by Elvis Presley in Loving You.

The roadster gained its greatest fame as Elvis Presley's ride in the 1957 film Loving You. After playing that role, it forever became known as "The Elvis Car," even though it found its way into other movies and television shows.

John lived the hot rod lifestyle in his car, cruising with friend Ed Iskenderian, flouting the law, and making speed runs at the dry lakes. He drove the car for 40 years until he put it into storage in 1978.

Tom Leonardo, Jr., convinced John to let him restore it in 1998. After the restoration, John had the car placed in the NHRA museum, where it served as a beautiful reminder of hot rodding's vibrant past.

27. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Hey unkledaddy, great answer! Thanks!

28. rusty28a

rusty28a

29. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

BP,

I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar. Love it!!

30. retromotors

retromotors

Ah Dude, you slay me!

Always brief and to the point. :D