Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heating your shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 Leadsled, Jan 4, 2010.

1. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

I love the idea of radiant heat, maybe next garage! I am getting quotes on a couble of different systems. The feedback had been great! Any other info is welcome, if I need info on cooling the garage I guess the left coast can chime in LOL!

2. I have a 40X42 X 30ft high barn that I insulated. I heat it at first with a 375,000 btu propane heater. Within about 5 minutes , it gets nice and warm and then use two smaller propane heaters to keep it at temperature. My Shop I have a 45,000 natural gas Resnor heater. It is 24X36 and fully insulated. Once it gets to temp, the heater only cycles on every 40 minutes or so. I HATE THE COLD!!!
    My wife keeps the house at about 60 degrees and says wear a jacket if your cold . I am still cold and she says, wheres your hat? WTF? I go into my garage and crank it to 70!!!

3. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

My garage is 21'x27'. I almost got a dayton wall/ceiling mount, but didn't like the idea of drying my eyeballs out while my legs and feet are still 20 degrees colder.
    This is what I use and I'm pretty happy with it, esp. for the price. I keep it mounted to the ceiling during the rest of the year. I like this one because it can be used on the floor, where it's the coldest. But since there is no temperature lately(supposed to be below zero for the next few days), it takes a while to get the shop up to a reasonable temp.
    Either way, a good heater for the $$. Found it at car guy garage.com for around $240.

Attached Files:

4. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I've got the wall hung Dayton, here in Buffalo it has been in the teens, Mostly insualted 500 square foot garage, not used everyday, but it will get it so I can work with a sweatshirt pretty quick at these temps. I have 2 electric fans that I use to move the air off of the ceiling to the floor to help circulate the heat.

5. I have a 26 x 32 ft shop with a 10ft walls and 20 ft ceiling. Ran r-38 insulation in ceiling and r-13 in walls. Ran a 70000btu house furnace upstairs with heat ducts run down to the floor like a house. Works terrific. Unit is quiet and floor is warm here in Wisconsin. I also run two ceiling fans. I ran the gas from the house and the budget gas bill has not changed. I leave it at 50 degrees when I'm not using the shop and at that temp the furnace rarely if ever runs. When I'm working I set it at 65 and it still hardly turns on. I think the key was running the ducts to the floors and using the ceiling fans.This system is alot quieter,safer and efficient than running the old reznor hanging furnaces as well as the propane floor units. The Menards down here handles all the piping. Good luck.

6. sir

sir

I just keep throwing it in....

Attached Files:

7. swampratxxx

swampratxxx
    from the desert

Usually a long sleeve T-shirt will do but sometimes a sweatshirt is required.

8. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

we ran out of heating oil today. This was taken around 5 this afternoon.And we still worked for another 3 hours
    [​IMG]

9. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

i think there is something wrong with your thermometer it looks like 37 degrees, that is a shitty outside temp let alone in the shop.
    I think mine says 73, more like it:)

10. Home Brew

Home Brew

I have a Dayton ceiling mount in my 24 x 36 shop. It has R19 and R38 insulation.It stays above freezing wiyhout heat and goes to 65 in a couple hours. A long sleeve shirt makes it comfortable even on the floor. Yesterday it was 4 degrees and was alright in the shop.

11. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

we use a Black Gold waste oil furnace i get used oil from the town garage/ race cars/ friends and where ever. We poor the used oil in 55 gal drums w/ a filter piped in about an inch up from the bottom, there is i nipple w/ a valve on the bottom to drain water out, then we trsnsfer the filtered oil to our fuel tanks. Doing it this way i have changed the filter on our furnace once in 5 years. and its free heat minus your work.

12. wahoo54

wahoo54
    from Oklahoma

I bought a used gas heater for a house, 150,000 BTu and converted it to propane. Heats a 30' X 50' insulated shop real good but the cost of propane is crazy so I only turn it on when I'm going to be out there for a while. Learned to just set it on 60 deg F. and save a heck of a lot on the propane.

13. I have a heated floor, when we poured the floor concrete, we installed electric heating cables in there. Cold floors are total killer for my ruined back. It's -24 F today so the heating is needed...

14. outlaw256

outlaw256

i was using 150,000 and 55,000 btu kerosene jet heaters but with that stuff at almost 4.oo a gal. and using almost 10. gals. a day went to used hired hand heater (from a old chicken house) this winter.250,000 btu heats up the shop to 70 in about 15 min.48 x 60 ceiling insulation only and 3 pull up doors.thats when it was 20 outside. after spittin chicken feather out for the first hours use it works great. and its QUIET!!!

15. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The thermometer was correct. It actually got down to 33......that is when we left :(........come on Saturday !!.........heating oil delivery :)

16. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

My shop is small but it has a natural gas outlet. A visit to a local flea market turned up a 1950s gas heater for $12. Gets it toasty in no time.

17. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

man that takes all the fun out of working in the shop, reminds me why i moved 31 yrs ago:)

18. This is EXACTLY what I had hoped to do in my garage. Went with a 65K hanging LP unit instead. Been kicking myself in the ass over it ever since.

19. Screws

Screws
    from Baltimore

In my 'rented' space we have a Dayton gas heater that hangs from the 20' ceiling.

We figured out a 'trick' that might work for some of you in the same type of heating and space situation. After about 30 minutes, the ceiling level down to about 10' is plenty warm (we have a storage area that is at that level and it's very nice up there on a 30 degree day). We took 2 fans and directed them to blow upward from the floor. This convects that warm air at the ceiling down to the floor level and makes life a bit more tolerable and helps to keep heating costs down. Ceiling fans and hanging fans pointing downward would probably also do the trick.

-Screws

20. Wood stove & a lot of hot air!

21. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Ditto.
    My brother in law heats his with geo-thermal, hot water in the floor.
    works great for him

22. Gigantor

Gigantor

I got this neat old "wickless" kerosene stove with a manufacturing stamp of 1933. I rebuilt it all and found replacement rolls of non-asbestos wicks online. Took a little finagling to figure out, but managed to get it running good. It vents through a stove pipe and has a gravity fed tank. It was 10 below the other day and I had it to 45 in the garage in about 15 minutes. It's old as shit and scary as even once you turn off the fuel flow, it still takes a good 5-10 minutes to burn off what's left, but when has old machinery ever scared us off? Best part it was free. Of course, when the hell did kerosene become so damn expensive?

23. Heater? I just put some coveralls on. And if it's still too cold, I throw on the nudie flix on the TV.
    ahhhhh, California

24. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

I use portable propane blower type heater (175,000 btu if you use two 40lb propane bottles together). I only use one, so I don't know how much less heat I get. It is noisy but it works pretty well. My building is pretty drafty so I don't worry about exhaust. You don't smell it much but if you work this way all day you will get sore throat so I try not work more than 1/2 with it running.
    Rebecca

25. I use a furnace, regular old house furnace (small one, like for manufactured house) and I just build a single plenum on top and it just blows into the shop, no other ductwork.

My garage is detached and is concrete block so I had a few things to overcome, like digging a 30' long trench for the gas line, drilling through the block and of course teh roof stack but it was well worth it.

I used tank top radiants in the past, and have a natural gas radiant I may hook up as well if I feel i need it but this furnace brings my garage up to 50 in short order. I don't keep it running all the time, and I need to insulate garage door and ceiling. I flip it on, go inside and get ready to work by the time I am back out its more than enjoyable.

Here is an old pic, you can see it in the corner, without the plenum on it.

[​IMG]

26. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

Long johns and flannel. Same heater as my truck!

27. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

11 degrees this evening,,seldom does it get this cold.
    Global warming = $ Hoax.
    Anyway,,too cold to work in the shop so I work in my home 2 car garage using an upright propane tank with heater on top.
    Doing brakes and heater core change out and a brake light switch then beer management.

28. Took a better pic while I was out there this weekend. Plain & simple forced air, one plenum heats up plenty well.

[​IMG]

29. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

So how do those floor-heat systems work? Just a closed system with a water heater and a pump? Do you have to leave it on all the time (in winter anyway) to keep it from freezing?

Google searching didn't turn up much besides gibberish and sale pitches. No real explaination of how the shit works or how you install it.

30. sixtnut

sixtnut

Reznor ceiling gas heater. I don't know the BTU but it does an excellent job. I paid $30.00 for it 2 years ago.

( garage under remodel, installing a 4 post lift )

Attached Files: