Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcpmo1, Sep 2, 2007.

1. rcpmo1

rcpmo1
    from Missouri

I'm looking to convert my 1964 fairlane 500 to a gasser and i'm looking for a good conversion axle to transplant instead of spending the cash on a new kit. I've looked at a mid 80's jeep 2wd or a 52 chevy truck but it has the drop to it if anyone has any ideas please let me know. I'm looking at transplanting the small block chevy with a big block chevy during this conversion.

2. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

Speedway Motors.

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Measure up a Econoline lunch box van, to see if its wide enough........Littleman

4. The Shocker

The Shocker

I used MAS (great kit) on the Ranchero and by the time you rebuild the worn out doner axle and mounts ,it probably wouldnt cost much more to have new stuff.Besides they will make it to the length you need...

5. Autoslim

Autoslim
    from texas

I've got an econoline axle (1966) for my 64 Comet and it is too wide (36 inch spring pad center line). Most just cut out 5 or so inches out of the axle and drag link and weld back up. By the time I get mine hung, I'll bet I could have bought a new speedway axle.

autoslim/jeff

6. Rat32Chevrolet

Rat32Chevrolet

speed way motors = it will fit , it will be safe, and it will cost you less .

7. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Absolutely right. Worked for me, and many others from what I see.JMO

8. rcpmo1

rcpmo1
    from Missouri

Thanks for the input, Satan I'm having trouble finding the MAS kit could you or some one shoot me a link. Thanks again.

9. For the smaller cars the Speedway or MAS axle works great, not really for the bigger cars, too narrow.

10. John1964

John1964
    from BC, Canada

do a search here on HAMB. Lots of good posts on Fairlane, Falcon and Comet straight axle conversions. Amount of money you will spend depends on your skills and resources. If you have to pay someone to do all the modifications on a oem axle, your better off getting a new kit. An oem axle will need to be shortened to make it "look" right. The 64 Fairlane front frame rails are 31" from center - center. An Econoline axle will need to be shortened. See link below for pics of my 64 Fairlane Straight axle

http://members.shaw.ca/blueoval/64fairlane.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. RudYsBAckyArdkUsTOMs

RudYsBAckyArdkUsTOMs
    from st pete'fl

ok guys im trying to get the best deal for tmy 57 chevy/gmc pickup.should i arch the leaf springs? or do i needa get an axle from something else id prolly need a heavyduty straight axle huh

12. rcpmo1

rcpmo1
    from Missouri

Thanks for all the input, Gave me alot to consider.

13. racer bill

racer bill

have a friend wanting to do fairlane 1964 gasser do you have any pics of yours?

14. I assisted a friend that isn't really a fabricator or welder with (2) speedway staight axle kits. A 64 failane and a 427 64 galaxy, they were both super easy and simple and we had everything together and tacked with in a few hours.If it were me i would run a i-beam though, I think it looks way more bitchen. One thing I have heard about the speedway straight tube axles is they have the tendeny to tweak a little bit after a while?