Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stainless welding to sheetmetal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flop, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Flop

Flop

this is on a project i have for a customer.. i cant think of any other way to attach the stainless to the steel besides spot welds. screws/ nuts will be seen. the perforated polished stainless is gonna go inside of the visor over the taillights giving it a more finished look since the taillight area was changed.. any suggestions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the stainless wont cover the taillights just mimick the inside of the little visor to clear that up.

2. bobjob55

bobjob55

can you silver solder the stainless ???

3. Flop

Flop

i have no idea ,stainless is a new animal to me... i have a tig so that will do everything i just dont kno if those 2 metals will go together nicely

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yes you can weld stainless to steel.

5. Flop

Flop

dig it thanks man!! now next question should i use stainless rod ? will there be any crazy corrision later?

6. If you weld it you might want to spray the regualr steel with a Weld through primer (UPOL copper is about the best) to keep the corrosion to a minumum under there.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

309 rod will work the best for the two dis-simular metals

do it every day here at my facility

we like "blue max"
    keep yer glasses on after you weld it..when the weld cools the slag will pop off..really sucks if your standing there looking at your weld and dont have safety glasses on:eek:;):cool:

8. Flop

Flop

yeah the weld thru was for certain k13 ,shits expensive!!!!

will the 309 rod filler metal rust or is that a stainless rod, von rigg?

9. 309 is stainless

10. Flop

Flop

dig it thanks guys!!!!!

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its stainless

look up
    "blue max" rod..its nice shtuff

let me know if you have a tuff time getting it..

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Been welding steel and ss with ss 308 rod for the last 20 years, haven't had a problem yet.

13. art.resi

art.resi

Lots of tricks you can do with a tig.

14. This is no big deal....both are steel thus both will weld together, MIG or TIG

Also, you can weld chromoly with steel.....the whole deal here is "What's the purpose", "Why am I using the process I'm using?" etc......

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should etc....

Really depends what & why & what kind of outcome you want.

Joining stainless with mild steel just lets your fillet weld rust later down the road while ss looks nice.....so should you do it, can you do it......??

If you run out of wire on a mild steel weldment, yes you can use ss wire etc......but is it cost efficient......it's all them types of questions a cert'd welder will respect.

Carl Hagan.

15. Louie S.

Louie S.

Von rigg fink is right buy some 309 and weld it, we do it all the time.

16. Flop

Flop

thanks guys trip to the welding store for some 309 rod tomorrow ...do they sell rod in small quantities or do you have to buy that huge box?

17. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

depends on the store , they may want you to buy a box which is typically 10lbs , get a small rod 0.045" or 1/16" , i,ve played with 308 and DOM and it welds very nice , you may get lucky and be able to buy it by the rod or in a 1lb bundle i was able to get Silicone Bronze in a 1lb lot from 1 source where another only sold it in 10lb boxs

18. sloorider

sloorider

could you weld studs on the back of the stainless plate, then secure it through holes drilled in the metal with nuts or am I in left field?

19. Homemade44

Homemade44

As posted you can weld it. If it is only a trim piece you could use one of the new panel adhesives to attach it. The panel could be put on after painting the main body.

20. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Any stainless rod will be fine. If you have some SS tie wire laying around you could use that for fill rod.

21. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Just so you know, 'standard' steel is a iron/carbon based product, and is classed as a 'low alloy' steel. The carbon content is usually made up in hundredths of one percent. Other elements can be added to the mix to make chromoly or tool steel or any of the many differing tensil strength's designated for various structural requirements.
    Stainless steel is classed as a 'high alloy' steel. It generally has 10% chromium and may contain other elements which make up the different alloys of stainless steel. Some are as high as 30% chromium! Most all forms of stainless steel contain at a minumum 50% iron.
    In general you need to match the filler rod to the stainless steel to be welded, (same number). There are some exceptions to this 'rule'. To make sure you use the right filler, consult a welding supply house or one of the large manufacturers of welding equipment. Don't take someone's verbal recommendation. They have nothing to loose. However if you have a weld failure and someone gets hurt, it's your ass!

Just food for thought ...

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

22. Flop

Flop

thanks for the input steelsmith...no critical welds here (purely decorative ) gonna be about 10 spot welds 16/th of an inch holes in the perforated stainless to the visor deal.