Register now to get rid of these ads!

1960 Ford F100 questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn-core, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Barn-core

Barn-core

I'm looking at a '60 F100 on my local Craigslist, and had a few questions I hope I can get answered. The truck is a long bed, I would shorten into a short bed, does anyone have the wheelbase measurements for a short bed so i'll know how much I'll need to take out. Were the stock wheels 16" or 15"? 5 on 5 right? Does anyone know what the stock tire size would have been, or even better, have any suggestions on a good size to run? Pictures of your own truck are also welcome. Thanks, Barn-core.

2. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Ford pickups used 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern from 1940 until the 1990s. In 1960 most had fifteen inch wheels.

3. I have an spare short wide box I'd sell you for $200, U-pick. Needs a new floor, but that's a whole lot easier than shortening a long box.
    I'm 9 hours north of you in Salem, OR. PM me if interested.

4. 60s are pretty cool in my opinion, I have a longbed as well. You can get a lot of what you need at Vintage Ford here in Sac if you don't mind making the trip. Heres a picture of mine in progress, the Y Block and Fordamatic are currently getting rebuilt.
    [​IMG]

5. Barn-core

Barn-core

5 on 51/2, of course, brain fart on my part. red sled, thanks for the offer on the bed, but I've got a guy a little more local that parts out these trucks, and can get one from him for the same price. It definetly would be easier to start with a short bed, but I'd still like to know the wheelbase to know how much to take out of the frame.

6. Tacho

Tacho

The original tires on my 1964 F1 were something like 70R 15 (thirty five year old Michelins when I inherited Tacho), which of course is a tire aspect that is now defunct. The new tires on Tacho are a very equivalent tire ratio of 235 75R 15 and were purchased at Pep Boys.
    At the moment, my truck has unmodified suspension and sits pretty low.
    To give you a better idea, the front bump stops measure 3" to the top of the beam. That will probably change this summer.

Attached Files:

7. IIRC the W.B. is 18" shorter.

8. Short box is 110" wheel base

Long box is 118" wheel base...

Here's my long bed:

[​IMG]

9. Glad I said "IIRC". Obviously I didn't "RC"! I just checked LMC's website, and sure enough, Todd is correct.
    Nothin' like the HAMB to keep us all in line...and informed!

10. Barn-core

Barn-core

58 Fridge, nice truck. What was the size on those tires, and how did you go about lowering your truck? red sled, and Todd, thanks for the numbers. The one I'm looking at already has the rear flipped, and monoleafs up front. Going to look at it this weekend, hope it all works out, I've been wanting one of these thrucks for a while now. Thanks for the info guys.

11. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I think the stockers are 6.70 x 15 bias ply. That's what was all over mine. I went to a radial, 215 70 15 I think. It REALLY made it handle better, like a completely different vehicle.
    Pick up one of the orange reproduction owner's manuals, too, they're on ebay and other places for around $10 and are a wealth of information.

Why are you hell bent on shortening the long bed?

BTW, welcome to the minority...those who think these "Fridges" are attractive.

12. Barn-core

Barn-core

Just like some people can't hang with a four door, I can't hang with a long bed. Just how I was raised I guess.

13. Still a rule amongst the Camaro crowd, but times they are a changin'....

___

14. I love 57 to 60 pickups, best looking ford trucks ever!

15. I was raised on Cadillac's and Imperial's...people can change...

Early on, I wanted to change mine to a short bed also. After I lowered it I was glad I hadn't. These have such a tall cab profile, for me, the proportions work.

Fridge, I would like to see some more pictures of your truck...really dig the big chromies and the double-pinner whites...

16. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

17. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Mine's a 64 longbed and I agree about the look after the truck has been lowered. A truck that's tall, short, and low all at once isn't my style either. That's how my eyes see it, but its your truck and you were asking for measurements, not opinions. If you were, i'd have said just start with a short box truck and forget about cutting a bed, frame, and everthing else that's going to require attention.

18. Barn-core

Barn-core

No offense to the longbed guys. I think longbeds look good laid out on the ground, but I intend on making this my daily, and I've owned too many ground scrapers, and bags are out of the question. I would obviously rather start with a short bed, but it's not like they're making these things any more. The one I'm looking at has enough going for it that taking a few inches out of the frame wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'd also like to swap in a T-5, so I'd like to do those mods together so I only have to have my driveshaft cut once. Who knows, maybe by then the longbed will have grown on me... (but I doubt it)!

19. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I was dead set on owning a short bed. I even bought a 59 shortbed but I decided to stick with my 58 long bed. I did mono's with reversed eyes in the front and and axle flip in the rear. I'm going to be adding a 2" drop axle very soon as well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  20. 100% Matt. I dig your 58! Did you notch the frame for the axle flip? CPP is supposed to have a notch kit that allows you to not cut out the bed.

21. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Yup the rear was notched. I used a cpp notch kit as well.

22. magoo1

magoo1

I cut eight inches forward of the front spring perch. Welded and fish plated using piece cut from frame. Shortened driveshaft eight inches. Oh mine is a 1960 F-250-292 V-8, big four speed and 456 rear end gears from factory. 8 lug sixteen inch wheels.

23. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Since I last posted I took 8" out of the center of the frame and 5 3/4" off the rear of the frame. It was easy to do. Shortened my drive shaft picked up a swb and my truck is now a shortbed

24. nick5446

nick5446
    from Boston, MA

Hey Matt - I know this is an old thread so hopefully you're still around. I've got a similar truck and was hoping to get some info from you. How much are you lowered? How'd you lower it? What size tires are you running? Also, do you ever haul anything in the bed? How much has your payload been affected?

I'm planning on doing the spring mount reversal in the rear for about 4-5" as well as the monoleaf reverse eyelet springs in the front from John's F100 for 4-5" drop as well. I'm a little worried because I routinely carry dirt bikes and motorcycles in my bed. The occasional bottom-out is fine, but if it becomes an everyday thing I'll be annoyed. I'm not totally adverse to notching my frame as well.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Nick

25. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Ill send ya a pm. Make sure you do an intro in the "intro section" . There's is lots of info on these trucks.

26. How about the width of the rim?

27. Damo67

Damo67

I am after a set of original 5 stud 15 inch for a 1960 also. Did you find any?