Register now to get rid of these ads!

COE project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Jan 1, 2005.

1. A friend of mine bought a 40 ford COE. The cab has now been blasted, and is on the rotiserie in my shop.
    The chassis is bagged, and I'm trying to talk him into making the bed roll back. Anyone else building one of these? I'd like to see some pictures, maybe some paint ideas. I'm thinking black with flames.

Attached Files:

2. LongGone

LongGone
    BANNED

Dee Wescott built a bitchin' COE a couple of years ago, a little more old-style traditional. Maybe there are pics on their website (just for inspiration)?

Mike

3. Bob Drake has one in Grant's Pass, Oregon. His still has the flathead in it..
    My buddy, Eddie has one here locally but it's a 40 chevy COE......subframed with a chevy V/8. He hauls his 49-50 Olds cars with it.

4. This one came with a 390 ford behind the cab. My buddy Ray is a hard core chevy guy, so the 390 is gone, 454 is going to take it's place. He's going to haul his very un-traditional blown pro street A sedan with it. The car wouldn't be appreciated here, but it's hard not to like a 650 hp, chopped, tubbed, sedan with an 8 point cage when it pulls the front wheels...well, for me anyway [​IMG]
    Does that make me bi?

5. LongGone

LongGone
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    This one came with a 390 ford behind the cab. My buddy Ray is a hard core chevy guy, so the 390 is gone, 454 is going to take it's place. He's going to haul his very un-traditional blown pro street A sedan with it. The car wouldn't be appreciated here, but it's hard not to like a 650 hp, chopped, tubbed, sedan with an 8 point cage when it pulls the front wheels...well, for me anyway [​IMG]
    Does that make me bi?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm too old, I guess. "hard core chevy guy" so he has to have a GM motor in his "Ford". The logic evades me (tonight, last year, in the '60's, etc.)..

Neat looking truck no matter.

Mike

6. The A is running a chevy too. Go figure [​IMG]

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

Nice looking truck !!!

8. Rusty

Rusty

That is sweet. I need one of those to go to the swap meets in.

9. carmerlin

carmerlin
    from west texas

I WORKED FOR A SHOP THAT HAD ME BUILDING THEM A 39 COE ON 96 DODGE 1 1/2 TON WITH CUMMINS DIESEL BEHIND THE CAB. ITS STILL NOT FINISHED 4 YEARS AFTER I LEFT. ITS ON BAGS TOO. Keith

10. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

Go jeepers creepers on that truck.
    -Crew

11. BUICKS38

BUICKS38

Cool truck. That thing would be great for a swap meet truck.

12. Cshabang

Cshabang

As for paint, Black with flaked flames, LOWNSLOW style! well, that is if it fits the era build. Blue, or green would look good. Maybe some old style scallops, or striping, if flames aren' def. sorry no pics for you

13. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

14. phat rat

phat rat

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    This one came with a 390 ford behind the cab. My buddy Ray is a hard core chevy guy, so the 390 is gone, 454 is going to take it's place. He's going to haul his very un-traditional blown pro street A sedan with it. The car wouldn't be appreciated here, but it's hard not to like a 650 hp, chopped, tubbed, sedan with an 8 point cage when it pulls the front wheels...well, for me anyway [​IMG]
    Does that make me bi?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm too old, I guess. "hard core chevy guy" so he has to have a GM motor in his "Ford". The logic evades me (tonight, last year, in the '60's, etc.)..

Neat looking truck no matter.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was mandatory to put a GM in a Ford when doing an engine replacement. Are you saying there's another way?

15. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought it was mandatory to put a Chev in a Ford when doing an engine replacement. Are you saying there's another way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cadillac is always a good option...

16. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Don't the 460 Fords get better mileage than a BBC? More torque as well?

Cadillac 500's certainly do on both counts.

17. flatheadV-8

flatheadV-8
    from New York

Tinbendere....any pics of the COE project? Would love to see them since I am currently looking for a '38-'47 Ford COE myself.

18. Have you checked out the other COE threads here. Hundreds of COE'S to look at.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219018&highlight=coe
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288541&highlight=coe
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=333

And the best COE website out there with hundreds of pictures and build stories.

http://www.ozcoetrucks.net16.net/Index.a.html

My choice is the Cadillac 500 - Best torque and horsepower of the big blocks, bullet proof high nickel blocks, killer low end torque, and decent gas mileage. If its a Hot Rod it doesn't matter what brand of engine you put in it!

My all time favorite COE.
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1939 Ford COE Project</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. flatheadV-8

flatheadV-8
    from New York

checked out some of the pics from the other threads....now I want a COE even MORE!

20. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

Nice project. Keep us updated.

21. wayfarer

wayfarer

22. wayfarer

wayfarer

23. 21tat

21tat

Those are awesome. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

24. Rodder29

Rodder29

I agree they are interesting units. I like them as ramp trucks, very cool.

25. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

Five year old thread... If it were new today I'd still make the Cadillac comment I made five years ago, and five years later my COE still isn't done. At least I'm consistent!

26. COEbuilder

COEbuilder

At the Goodguys show in 2007 in Spokane 9 COE trucks appeared. I took a photo of all 'em ... ticked off the Goodguys big time .... but hey the COE guys had a blast, and all got their own calendar in the deal. Fun Day!!!

Attached Files: