Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935-1936 Ford pickup tech for the masses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

It's not exactly what you are looking for but check these out http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page61.html I used them on my 36. They are nice pieces but took alot grinding to get them to fit inside the rail as they are 3/16 thick but are strong.

2. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

3. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

What is different about 36 pickup mufflers and exhaust pipes, versus passenger car? And where can I buy stock ones?

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dont think there is any difference.
    Why do you think there is?
    Passenger car/pickup chassis were almost identical
    (the pickup frame was slightly thicker)

Roothawg, I looked at my 35 front fenders and you are right...holes instead of slots

funny that I had not noticed that

5. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Mac's catalog and others list them both as passenger only, while the forward pipe and crossover fit either pickup or passenger. The 35-38 passenger muffler fits 38-41 pickup, the 35-40 tailpipe fits passenger and commercial except pickup (the bold type is from the catalog description.)

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

I think thats awful picky and you can use anything you want

7. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Ok, but what is different, and what parts are sure to fit my truck correctly. This is an original vehicle, I'm not going to cobble up parts to fit.

8. Catman36

Catman36
    from NC

Thank you to all in these posts. Root, I have learned alot from you in these forms.
    I am getting ready to purchase a 1936 1 1/2 ton cab chassis truck. plans are to build it to flat bed for my farm. it has original engine and 4spd trans, but planning on to convert it to a nice 100-130hp diesel. Still planning the build configs. Can someone tell me where to find new replacment harnesses, weather striping, door and window seals. This will be an off frame rebuild.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

10. losdiablotejano

losdiablotejano

I am still trying to figure out the difference between the garnish moldings on the 1935 and the 1936. Does someone have pictures that clearly show the difference?

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

There are no door garnish moldings on the 36. The only garnish molding on a 36 is the rear window. I'm sure there may be some really late 35's , early 36's that might slip through but as a general rule of thumb , that's the way it usually is.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

******UPDATE*******

I have had several people asking about cab mount wood dimensions. I took a set of mounts and measured them out. I have made templates and mailed to my buddy here on the hamb, CVSTL. He is going to take the dimensions and enter them into autocad and build a pdf as well. We will post them as soon as he gets them done.

No pressure Clay...........

13. hermn8r

hermn8r

Thanks, I need the measurements as well.

14. oldtin

oldtin

Roothawg, Thats good news, I'll be watching.

15. DaveAyer

DaveAyer

I was just wondering if the '36 ford PU frame is the same as a car frame. I need a good frame and I found a PU with a sound frame.
    Thanks, Dave

16. oldtin

oldtin

truck and car frame are pretty much the same from 35-40.
    Some argue about thickness, but both will work.
    Car frame has some brackets that will have to be removed to put truck parts on.
    There are also some variations on the radiator mounting height.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  17. mow too much

mow too much

Dave, scroll back through this thread, there is a post showing the difference in 35-40 frames, the man difference is the car has the side body mounts behind the doors and the PU does not. and there is a difference in the radiator mounts, that are riveted to the front cross member and frame.

18. Here are pics of the 2 different door interiors for 35 and 36. As Roothawg stated on this thread, the early 1935's had the screw on window garnish molding (last picture), the late 35's and most 36's had no window garnish (first and second pics); the interior door sheetmetal has the door handle stamped into it. Both 35 and 36 have a rear window garnish molding. 35 and 36 doors are interchangable on both cabs; you just have a choice as to garnish molding or no garnish molding. I have to say that the built-in door handle is a weak spot and is prone to cracking as seen in the pictures.

I have yet to see a 36 with door garnish moldings. I think that if you see a 36 with garnish moldings, they have had the doors replaced with those off a 35.

Lets all thank Roothawg for this great thread and info!!!

My 2 cents
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  19. On the topic of garnish moldings. I recently purchased an extra set of the vertical metal garnish moldings that go on both sides of the interior windshield. I was informed to measure carefully because they are different lengths for 35 and 36 cabs. Can anybody verify this??

20. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I didn't think that that minor change in the base of the A-Pillar between 35 & 36 made any difference to the inside, and since the doors and windshields interchange, I would think that the inside garnishes would interchange too. Just my thoughts, though..... don't know for sure.

BTW, I got the cab wood pattern drawings from Roothawg (in a custom flamed envelope), and will get to Cab Wood drawings done in the next couple of weeks.

21. Dirk35

Dirk35

My 35's driver side inner door was also cracked like the one pictured, but it was a easy fix... weld and grind with the little roundy grinding stone for the dremel.

22. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Thanks Roothawg......all good info.......but there is differences on the Bonnet Sides Cooling Louvres other than the Badge being relocated.......below are examples.....1st pic is 35 & 2nd Pic is a 36 ;):)

http://www.carnut.com/cgi-bin/05/image.pl?/show/05/stul/tul0179.jpg

http://www.carnut.com/cgi-bin/02/image.pl?/show/02/lou/nat1047.jpg

OK!...now does anyone have or know any where I can get the rear Bed Specs/Measurements from for a 35 pickup........Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

Maybe the 37 could be different since the windshield is split? I don't know oif any differences on the 35-36.

Pvcerod, thanks. I forgot to mention that.
    I also have a book that shows the specs on the overall dimensions. It is listed above but it is too small. I am going to rescan it bigger.

24. 36rustrod

36rustrod

Thanks cvstl. I have been bugging root for awhile now. Thats the only thing that is holding me up on starting on my sheet metal. Engine, transmission, torque tube and rear end all finished and installed today! So on to body! Anyone know what kind of wood was used? I have a small piece of a cab mount and it looks like ironwood, but not sure.

25. 36rustrod

36rustrod

By the way,anyone know where to get the stuff to mount the bed? All i have is the bed sides and floor. Is there some kind of sub structure?

26. jj mack

jj mack

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bigger version.

Attached Files:

28. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Tell me about the doors: are 37 doors the same as 36 doors?

29. pvcerod

pvcerod
    from Australia

Thanks heaps Roothawg & jj mack for that info.:)

Roots is there a Spec Sheet like the 36 for the 35 ;)

30. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

'37 doors fit fine on my '36.

Gary