Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville History: Herda 999 Streamliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AZAV8, Jan 24, 2007.

1. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

This one is for the Bonneville historians or the Hot Rod Magazine collectors. Bob Herda built a beautiful blue, mid-engine streamliner numbered 999. In the early 1960's Hot Rod magazine did a feature article on the car and Bob with detail photos and a cut-a-way drawing of the car.

I would like to know the month and year of that issue so I can find a copy to buy. Also, if there were any other articles on the car and/or Bob.

I have always loved that car and was deeply saddend when Bob was killed in the car making a run.

What do you know about the magazine issue, the car, etc.? Do you have any pictures? Let's see 'em. Google doesn't bring up much at all.

Thanks now for any info.

Flat Power likes this.
  2. noboD

noboD

Have you tried the LSR site yet? I sure miss those cutaways.

3. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Thanks for the tip. I'll go try the LSR site. I am looking for the Hot Rod Magazine issue so I can go find one to buy.

BTTT

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you're sure of the year it was in Hot Rod I'll look through my collection. :)

5. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

I found out the issue is March 1964. I ended up searching on eBay and one guy had the contents listed of the various issues. Its the issue with the first pictures of the Ford dual overhead cam Indy V8. Now I have to find an available issue at a "reasonable" price.

Thanks for looking.

If anybody has any pictures of the car I would appreciate seeing them. So would all the other Bonneville buffs. Thanks again.

6. psychocross

psychocross
    from Seattle

I have some images of Bob Herda with my father & a good collection of the Chrome Yellow 360 Markley & Hoffman cars.

http://picasaweb.google.com/psychocross/BonnevilleChromeYellow360More#

7. March '64 HR article

Attached Files:

8. Phil ... the December 1966 issue of HOT ROD magazine included a feature article on the Herda-Knapp-Milodon #999 Streamliner.

Peter ... Thanks for bringing this (almost 3 year old) thread back up ... looks like you've added some more cool pics to your "Bonneville" Picasa Web Album.

Jimmy ... You beat me to it! (I was gonna scan my copy tonight) ... anyway, thanks for scanning the article and posting it here.

9. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Jimmy B,
    Thanks for posting the Hot Rod article on this great streamliner! I have down loaded it to my computer so that I could read it and it is a great article. I did not know that the body was made by Don Borth, I knew Don back in the 80s and 90 before he died around 1995. He was a truly fantastic aluminum guy as is very evident from looking at the body on the Herda car. He also did most of the work on the Mickey Thompson Challenger and also the Summers Brothers Golden Rod.

Thanks again!!!

Rex