Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm a newby and I just bought my Dad a car

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by jlloyd, Dec 10, 2009.

1. jlloyd

jlloyd

You really think it looks ok? Personally, I'm a little worried about the rust on the body. Granted, it hasn't penetrated anywhere other than a pin-hole on the hood but I guess I'm a little worried about prepping it for paint...I mean, the entire car is covered with surface rust. Oh, and I don't know for sure if we're sticking with the Stovebolt, it's kinda up to him but, I hope he does. Something about the way they sound with a fenton split header and lakes pipes. Man, I hope that's what happens with it anyway. I'd almost leave the paint alone, re-plate the chrome, restore the interior, make it STOP and then do the tried and true go-fast goodies to the Stovebolt. We'll see. Stay tuned.

2. 41 Dave

41 Dave

jlloyd, Congrats on making your dad's Christmas ! It is also great that your brothers are helping you. Bet the old man will be wrenching on it on Sat after Christmas !

41 Dave

3. jlloyd

jlloyd

additional pics...for your viewing pleasure. hah!

Attached Files:

4. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Your Dad should be glad to have a kid like you!
    Welcome from South Georgia :D

5. 19chevy53

19chevy53
    from Nanaimo

BEST CHRISTMAS GIFT EVER. You Rock Dude Can't wait to see more!!!

6. jlloyd

jlloyd

Man Dave, I HOPE we're working on it Saturday! Me and Dad are the only Single guys in our family now (he's a widower and I'm divorced) and I'm sure my brother's in-laws are inviting us to dinner or lunch or whatever BUT...if I know my Dad, and I think I do, we'd both be a lot happier hangin' out, cleanin' the car, discussing ideas and making plans for how to attack the next phase. All while eating greasy ham sandwiches and drinking iced tea. Afterwards, we'll conspire while we sit by the fire;) and look through Street Rodder, Rod and Kustom or whichever Hot Rod mag I bought him a subscription to a few years back for Christmas. THAT my friend would be a pretty kick-ass Christmas.

7. jlloyd

jlloyd

I pulled the wheels out of the trunk yesterday and they're definitely the originals. A sickly shade of green with a cool little pinstripe on the smooth part between the center of the rim and it's outer edge. Bad news is that there were only 3 wheels and 2 hubcaps...I looked at the wheels that are mounted to the car and none seem to be the originals.

8. jlloyd

jlloyd

just let me know if I'm posting too much

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  9. jlloyd

jlloyd

notice, that some idiot took the plugs out before parking it. Nice little spot for spiders and other critters to live.

10. jlloyd

jlloyd

I took a brand new model that was sea foam green and tried to make it look a little more like the one that will be sitting in the driveway on Christmas morning. I'm going to let the keyring hang out of the door of the model and when he opens the present, he'll wonder why there's a key attached..and maybe start to suspect something.

Attached Files:

11. coolvato

coolvato

Job well done, thats really great what you did for your Pop's. Please keep us posted maybe even some pics of xmass day.

12. jlloyd

jlloyd

As I hoped, Dad and I spent Christmas day removing the seats and stripping the interior. This was after we got her off the trailer and up on jack stands. The Old Man was speechless but later told me it was the first car he ever wanted to buy as a teenager. My Grandfather told him "No...it's making a strange noise". I had NO idea. Here's a pic of the proud new owner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  13. coolvato

coolvato

It even looks better now then when you found it. Amazing what a good cleaning will do to an old car. Keep up postd.

14. jlloyd

jlloyd

Thank you sir! I just posted the same pic but with a little higher resolution. The day that I towed it home, I stopped in a do-it-yourself car wash and scrubbed her down and it made a difference..not much but some. He's in the planning stage now and so, I asked, "if you were going to paint it, what color would you go with?" and without hesitation he said "Orange...Chevy Hugger Orange". ORANGE? I love that color but I'd like to see an example of a '49 or '50 that's painted the same. It's his and he can do what he wants..I guarantee that it'll be authentic old school cool. I mean, the man was 16 years old in 1959. He was THERE.

15. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Very nice! Good old family values! Good luck in the New Year.

16. jlloyd

jlloyd

here's a pic of the finished model with the key attached. At first, when he unwrapped it, he didn't see the key...it had fallen behind the model. My sister-in-law told him to take it out of the box. The look on his face when he realized a key was attached was priceless.

Attached Files:

17. ELD

ELD

Can I adopt you?
    But seriously, this is turning into more than an introduction and mights be you could start a build thread on the main board where as mo eyes get a gander at it.
    Welcome to the HAMB.

18. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

[​IMG]

that is pretty rad.
    - Joe

19. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Man that is one of the coolest things a son could do for his dad! Being able to spend time with your dad is special but being able to build a cool old car with him...PRICELESS! Take lots of pics and cherish every minute, they are gone way to soon....

20. jlloyd

jlloyd

Yeah, you're right. I didn't mean to hi-jack this intro thread, I promise. So much for introductions...it's become a life story!! I'm thinking I'll start a thread but maybe keep the same subject heading? Or, like you said, a "build thread" but include the "Dad's Christmas" subject...hell, I don't know but when I figure it out I'll fill y'all in.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  21. ELD

ELD

Yeah, yeah that's the ticket......love what you did to the Model car, reverse restoration, way cool.

22. twinkey

twinkey

welcome from ND. looks like a great project.