Register now to get rid of these ads!

AA/FA Bantam roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58fed, Jan 3, 2010.

1. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Some of may have seen the couple of build threads for the Chassis Research styled TE-440 FED's. 51box has his thread for his dragster, currently I have two more going together in house but, I also have a Chassis Research R-16 AA/FA going together. This is a replica of a New England car that raced from 1964-'71. The owner search high and low for his original car, it was a steel bodied Bantam roadster. In the early days it ran an injected Desoto Hemi in the A/A class, then it moved up to a blown 354 Hemi in the AA/A class, the car wrecked, it was rebuilt and then bumped up to the AA/ FA class.
    The chassis was bought early 1964 right from Scotty Fenn. It was a Chassis Research R-16 chassis, running a CAE front end with a solid mounted early Olds rear. It was a direct drive car.
    The owner, Jack Brady and myself have been putting in a lot of time, locating parts, carefully placing every aspect of the car to the way it was, although not the original car, or parts, we are making sure everything is the way it should be. I'll post more details but I'll let you guys see some of the pics now.
    Let us know how we are doing.

Attached Files:

2. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

The cool part about this project is, a lot of the parts are coming from other local guys that want to see this come together. Old time racers, hot rodders, and friends. The motor and rear axle come out of Bob Ellison and Rick McGarvey's AA/GS 33 Willys that wrecked out at Indy in 06, we lost Bob that day, Rick wanted the parts to go to Ed for this build. The clutch can and some other pieces came from Bob Snyder's old Top Fuel dragster, Billy Belmont sold Ed the CAE front axle. Jack Brady contributed some parts as well as Bobby Demarco, and myself. The body is coming from Rod 'n race. Its just a really cool deal to be part of.

Attached Files:

3. hotrodihc

hotrodihc
    from London Ont

man thats a cool piece

4. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

I just re-read my original post and wanted to be clear, we are scratch building a replica of the original car as he couldn't find the original parts. The owner was able to locate an uncut R-16 chassis and he was a draftsman by trade so he made accurate blueprints of the original R-16. I fabricated the "new" chassis using his prints.

5. scrape

scrape

looking forward to seeing more.....

6. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Here is one pic of the original car. Not sure who took the pic but it was from '69.

Attached Files:

7. Iron-Iceberg

Iron-Iceberg

That altered says Chizler on it. Is it Chris Karamesines car?

8. I dig this project alot and will be following along.

9. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

It does say Chizler but from what I was told by Ed Pearsons, "Chizler" was slang for a chrysler Hemi. Don't know if that was an east coast slang derived from Karamesines or not. Anyone want to chime in, feel free.

10. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is a full size photo of the car in 1969.

11. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Ed Pearsons AA/FA continues making progress. The Rod and Race: Bantam body arrived this week. Ed is trimming up the body to fit the chassis, while Charlie Raffi helps controll the fiberglass dust.

12. Church Key

Church Key

13. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] The body is set in place, this will be the ride hight. Once the wheels arrive finish fitting of the body can begin.

14. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Here are a few pics of the Bantam, making progress. We fit the driver into the car to locate the seat and the controls, this is Churchkey here on the hamb. Jack is pretty excited about piloting this AA/FA, this is a replica of the first car Jack saw go down the strip and hooked him for life on racing.

Attached Files:

15. rockguy92

rockguy92

That frame looks like it could be used HA/GR dragster. Nice work.
    The Rock

16. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

rock, the frame is an exact replica of an original Chassis Research R-16 Altered chassis. The original car had the same chassis in it, the owner found one that was untouched and pulled all the dimensions, luckily he was a draftsman and made blueprints. It was nice to be able to build off of them. Thanks for the compliment.

17. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

great thread...missed it first time around. any updates?

18. Ruiner

Ruiner

Man, those AA/FA chassis' weren't complicated, were they? :D...I look forward to seeing this come together...

19. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Just found this. Very cool.

20. paintcan54

paintcan54

Keeping my eye on this one, very cool indeed.

21. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

I'll post some pics tomorrow or Monday, we've made a lot of progress since the last pics. The car is rolling now and quite a bit of the details are finished up now such as the controls, chute release, fuel shut off lever, clutch pedal assembly, etc... We are going be in real good shape with this in a couple weeks. The painter was in today to look at the work ahead, the upholstery will be done in house. We are getn excited about it. Its coming out pretty spot on to the original, we have made some small changes along the way, things that he wanted to different the first time and some other safety items.

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

23. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is the car as of 3/8/10... The chassis is just about complete, with some minor tabs to go. Please excuse the rear wheels and tires, the new slicks and wheels should be here shortly. The big news is... The original front wheels were located, and bought back. Car owner Ed Peasons dismantled the obsolete race car in 1972 and sold of the wheels to a friends of his in his home town of Woburn, MA. The friend still had them, and Ed just recently bought them back. Things are shaping up with just about four months of Saturdays in the project. I will keep everyone up to date as things progress.

24. Church Key

Church Key

25. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Thanks for posting the pics Jack.

26. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is the car running at New England Dragway 1969

27. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is car owner Ed Pearsons at the Boston Car Show 1968

28. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Wanted to update on the progress with the Bantam. Ed purchased a set of ET wheels for the rear. Ed fabricated the clutch pedal, tank brackets, radiator mounts, etc... I spent some time welding them up. The car is really taking shape now. I'm going to be finishing up my work on it soon and then it will go to paint and upholstery, Ed's going to get them motor together. There are so many misc. brackets and details on builds like this, you can work a couple weeks and not feel like you're moving forward. No matter how small, it has to get done though. Here are a couple pics.

Attached Files:

29. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens