Register now to get rid of these ads!

what was your first car and how did you get it ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1963nova, Jan 3, 2010.

1. 60HT

60HT
    from So. OK

My first car was a '57 Chevy 210 2 door sedan. I worked at my uncle's gas station the summer I turned 13 and saved my money. My dad found the car for me. It was a six cylinder PG car, pale yellow and white. The old man that owned it was asking $300 for it and my dad talked him down to $275. Dad was hauling horse trailers at the time and a friend of his who painted them told me he would paint it for me free if I picked a color they already had for the trailers. We went with black. One day before I left for school Dad asked me for the keys, said he needed to use my car that day. When I got home it was sitting in the driveway with a set of Cragars and new tires on it. I put some black mid '60s GM buckets from a junkyard and a black back seat in it. Still had the six and 'glide in it when I sold it several years later. My mom drove it to work for a few weeks once when her car was down, a 90 mile round trip every day. Excellent driving old car. This was in 1974.

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Hey 1963Nova,

It seems that you had to do alot of work to earn back that $50 (even in 1985 dollars).

3. 231ramona

231ramona

1940 Plymouth Pickup. My brother saw it for sale in the local pager. Paid $300 and my dad drove it home to the farm. I was only 14. I proceeded to take it completely apart as that was the only part of the restoration I could afford and I just had to do SOMETHING.

4. Abone29

Abone29

My first was a 1963 Corvair,2 door,burgundy color.That was in 1968 .I traded a Honda 90 for it.It was a real turd,leaked oil from everywhere,but I loved it,hell man I had wheels!!I drove it for about a year and traded it for a 57 Ford Fairlane.That car was a jewel,292 with an automatic,an original unmolested car.Damn I wish I still had it.

5. Got my first car in 1968.
    '47 Ford sedan.
    Paid $100 for it and it drove well.
    Had to pay it off at $10 a week before I could pick it up though.
    Only earned $20 a week then.
    Dechromed and painted it.
    Drove the shit out of it then moved onto a
    '35 Pontiac 3 window coupe which I still own.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  6. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

Got my first car at age 13. Got it for my Birthday from my Grandma and Grandpa. My grandma was talking to a lady at a tire shop and the car came up. They paid for it and then I got to pick it up 2 weeks after that. It was a 65 Mustang. 289 auto and white... Not much to look at but to me it was better than any other car on the road.
    I still have it 20 years later and have yet to drive it.
    I love that car.

7. Convinced my Dad to sell me the family 51 Stude 2 door with bad transmission for $20. (1958) - realized quickly the rebuild was over my head - found a junkyard tranny for $5 and put her in. That ole studebaker V8 surprised a lot of folks but it could never beat my Buddie's old Hudson. Kept me going all through High School or I kept it going - we both got our education. Wonderful time to grow up.

8. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

1967 Ford Fairlane....two door, 289, automatic, air. I paid $800.00 for it. I put a set of Boss 302 wheels from a 70 Boss Mustang and I was cruising in style. Oh this was 1971.

9. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Mom and Dad bought a '39 Ford DeLuxe tudor sedan for me Nov. 22, 1963...the same day that JFK was assasinated. Had a really nice body with black primer on it. Got it from a friend for $65. Towed it home as the flathead had crank and rod parts hanging out the pan. Ended-up putting a little 60 horse engine in it that I found which had aluminum Edelbrock heads on it. Had to sell it a short time later when we moved to Texas. DD

10. megawatt220

megawatt220

32 Chevy I was 15, in 1965, friend of my older brother got drafted and sold it to me for $200. Pushed it home got it running and that's when the fun started. I'm still dragging old cars home

11. screwball

screwball

My first car was a 58 chevy belair hard top. When I 16 my grand father died he left me $1000.00. So I started to ride my bicycle around the neighborhood looking for cars for sale. I found the 58 parked in an underground apartment garage with four flat tires and with an inch of dust on it. It turned out to be a friend of my sisters and he sold it to me for $500.00.

12. tiger mark

tiger mark
    from burbank,il

Last year 1LOWTRUCK gave his son a 51 chevy p/u for his 16th birthday.

13. 63sprintinsabin

63sprintinsabin
    from Sabin, MN

My first car was my 63 Falcon Sprint convert. Drove the crapp out of it and still do. It was my parents car that I learned to drive in. Drove it to high school college and now work weekly (when there isn't snow on the ground). One day I will give it to my daughter, she loves the car, in fact both of my girls were brought home in a Falcon shirt after being born. The only problem is that I only have one. Sometime in the next 15 years I need to find another one to give to my youngest daughter.

14. selohssa

selohssa

Mine is a 1953 chev 210. It was my dads first car and he gave it to me when i turned 9 to use as a father/son project. My grandpa bought it for my dad for $50 in 1964. The original owner died while it was getting a new clutch and all my grandpa had to do was pay the mechanics bill.

15. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

1966 Chevy II I bought in 1973 for $50. My friends pushed me home on foot about 1/2 mile. After a new battery and tune up it ran like a top. That's what it costs to fill a gas tank now!

16. burnout2614

burnout2614

first was actually a 67 ford swb fleetside trk, 352 3spd, I was 12, started driving everywhere at 14, wrecked it at 17, I am 46 now and only recently sold what was left of it. lots of memories.

17. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

My son's 70 Nova..1985 He's still got it. Moved with him during his 5 years with the Marines.

Attached Files:

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

my parents had a pretty nice 64 1/2 mustang that was basically stock, v8 4 speed car that they sold to their friends when they wanted to buy a house ( i was like 8)
    well the friends got a couple dui's in the first year and parked the mustang under an apple tree and let it sit. (they were NOT car people) and it sat until i was 15 and expressed interest in it. well, they said i could buy it for $650 since it probably would never run again unless it was rebuilt, etc. (again, NOT car people)
    well, i sold a motorcycle i had and gave him $650 for it and my dad and i went over there with a charged battery, fresh gas and some oil. we topped of the oil, put the battery in it, and dumped a little gas down the carb and wouldn't ya know it that son of a bitch fired up, and once all the smoke cleared it ran fantastic.
    we drove it home. dude had the balls to say " well, i didn't expect it to run, how about a few hundred more dollars?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. yeah right dude. that was the running joke with my dad and i for a long time. how about a few hundred more? you serious??

19. chilly1

chilly1
    from Tacoma,Wa

56 Chev 4 Dr 6 cyl. I was 14 yrs old my Dad got for me to learn on. I had 6 mo. and taded it for a 62 Ford Fairlane 260 V8 3 spd on the floor.Way cool at that age keeped it for 5 yrs.
    [​IMG]

20. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

A 1960 willys 4x4 pick up with a kaiser flathead inline.I was 14 when i got it.It was my grandpas truck,I never did get it on the road.I did work on it though for two years straight and then a guy I know was a second owner of a 70 nova and he wanted the truck bad enough he traded me straight across.His was daily driven.I couldnt pass it up.I miss them both.......GOOD TIMES.

21. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

'49 Chevy bought from a friend for $100.00....

[​IMG]

22. cwayne

cwayne

'57 Chevy B/A......... $900 off a car lot in So. Calif. 18 years old. Drove it about a year and off to war, mom and dad sold it for $600 with the back seat full of 45's.. remember the recorder player under the dash.??

Attached Files:

23. 1963nova

1963nova
    BANNED
    from ohio

no way a record player under the dash ? now that was the extra add on of all times . how well did it work? did it skip alot? what was your favorite record?

24. George

George

Chryslers had record players & they were standard speed either. My 1st car was a '64 Malibu 283 for 120$.

25. Plumber 1

Plumber 1

A 1961 Chevy Nomad station wagon. White with a red interior. 283, auto. trans. One of my father's friends gave it to me in the summer of 1970. Drove it for about 1 year until the trans. died. I gave it to the junkyard. Still was rust free.

26. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

1974 mustang two. what a mistake. i paid 500 for it two weeks after i got my license. if u could start it it would go wherever u wanted, but once u shut it off if u didnt start it within fifteen minutes u had to wait atleast two hours before it would start again. did a few things to it and sold it to buy a 1953 chevy. i owned it for two months as did the guy after me and after him. last i heard the guy cut it up. good riddance.

oh, and the car was red with a white vinyl top, pea green leather interior and a chain steering wheel.

27. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

1950 Studebaker land cruiser. I was 8 and Dad told me if I could get it running I could drive around the field roads on the farm ( about a 1 mile rectangle.

I drove the daylights out of it until my dumb ass little brother drives it ACROSS a plowed field and hit a dead furrow. The car stops instantly the dumb ass kisses the windshield and the motor goes out the front of the Studebaker and bounces a couple of times before coming to a stop.

My dad either trying to get rid of the old cars behind the barn or kill me, give Studebaker #2 a 1960 V8 Lark. I got it running and drove that my senior year in high school. That one I street raced and eventually blew the motor missing a shift.

Next Dad thinking maybe 4cyl might be safer for me buys me a 64VW, and you guessed it I discovered Sport Car Rallys and Auto-Xs so after that I was on my own.

28. Blam

Blam

I bought my 58 International p/u for $300 when i was 10 years old (23yrs old now) with the money i had saved from irrigating the fields for a few different farmers. I used to cruise that thing all around town Sweet idaho. It is geared soooo low, i would carry a piece of plywood in the bed so that when i got stuck in the fields i could stick it in 1st gear, get out, shove the wood under my tire to get some traction and then hop back in and away we go! We moved into Boise when i was 13 and my days of driving were over til i was of legal age. I still got it though, it's kinda taken a backseat to some of the other projects i've had, but when i get back home i plan on messing around with it a little bit.

29. James427

James427
    BANNED

When I was 14 (1972) I mowed lawns and raked leaves and made enough to buy a mini-bike which was promptly stolen by the "brothers" that lived nearby (Detroit). When I was 15, I mowed and raked and shoveled snow again, but this time I wanted something faster and harder to steal. I saw an ad for a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere CONVERTIBLE for $125. I asked my mom and dad and of course they said no. So, of course I didn't listen to them and hitch hiked 15 miles over to see it getting there about dusk. It turned out to be a real nice car. Dark green with a white top and interior, 318 Big Block and 3spd! I only had $97.50 and offered it to them and they accepted $95 and gave me back the $2.50 for gas.

Only problem was I had never driven a car before, much less a 3spd! I waited until they went into the house and tried my best to drive it away lurching and screeching the tires and of course stalling it. It took me a few blocks to get the hang of it and by the time I got back to my area I was almost a pro. I parked it around the corner from my house. In the morning I'd get up to go to school, hop on my bike, ride it around the corner to my car, throw the bike in the trunk and drive to school and everywhere else! Ah, those were the GREAT old days!!

30. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

1989 nissan sentra xe.....I know you all are jealous as hell of the rare xe model. Wanted a 1959 Biscayne my uncle was selling. my grandad was buying and had to go with what he wanted to buy. Sweet heavens that Biscayne was gorgeous!