Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to mount bags on a Galaxie wagon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Odd Rodney, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Odd Rodney

Odd Rodney

Ok nice short and sweet.

Im reworking a "HACK" job done on my 64 Galaxie wagon. It has full air ride susspension but the lack of craftsmenship was unsafe and ugly so I have taken it upon myself to rework the system and the setup.

The rear of the car already had a triangulated 4 link but the welds were shotty so a new one is being put in...by me.

The former bag setup had the rear bags mounted to the 4 link in front of the rear wheel...to the frame.

I would like to mount the bags to the axle but Im wondering if the ride quality will suffer.

anyone who can offer a suggestion as to where the rear bags should be mounted for maximum lift and ride quality would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Rodney

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Rodney,
    Here is a pic of were I mounted the bags on my '62 Monterey Wagon (same chassis as your '64 Galaxie). I don't have the car on the road yet, so I can't tell you how it rides. Hopefully it will give you some ideas, though.

[​IMG]

3. fakesnake.com

fakesnake.com

I think those bags should be behind the rear axle. Here's a couple of shots for you on different options. The first shot is a 61 Ford wagon and the second shot is a 62 Mercury (2 door convert).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Just curios, why behind the axle instead of the front ?

5. Reds 29

Reds 29

Generally speaking bags mounted behind the axle will give a softer ride. Bags mounted in front of the axle will give you more lift. It is still dependent on size, how they are mounted etc.
    Red

6. fakesnake.com

fakesnake.com

I am by no means an expert but you are limited on space in front if you run shocks. Plus, if it is triangulated 4 link that gives you even less room.

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

It seems to me that running the bag between the frame and axle ensures that the fully compressed height is a little higher than if the bag is mounted fore or aft of the axle, which would allow the axle to go all the way up to the bumpstop (you do run bumpstops, right?). It isn't probably a big deal at running height, but one of the main draws of the air suspension is being able to park it with the chassis LOW isn't it?

8. cracker head

cracker head

Got anymore pics of your setup?

9. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

as long as the suspension moves freely, i wouldnt think the location of the bags would affect the ride that much. my 51 ford was ontop of the rear end to the top of the c notch, and my 47 buick is infront of the rear end on the link to the frame and both ride the same. I have knee shocks on the buick and it was really easy to mount them because they don't take up very much room at all. I would suggest shocks, especially in front.

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Cracker,
    Check my album, there are a bunch of pictures of the chassis.

11. lgh1157

lgh1157

Here is my 64, cut out the O.G crossmember and welded one right in front of it so i could run longer upper bars . . . . :

[​IMG]

Bags behind because of space, but i might do a new set up like faksnakes, but i will run the lower bars with bags on em and keep my upper bars the same :

[​IMG]

12. ryno

ryno

id run the bags on the lower link bars in front of the axle.
    way less pressure will be needed to lift the car, thus creating a softer ride.it will also lift alot higher, think change flat tires.
    with doing a set this way you wont need as much trunk space for a upper bag mount/xmember also.

13. lgh1157

lgh1157

Frozen Merc - are your links level at ride height ?

Depending on where the bags are located on the bars it would take more pressure. . . . . . way more pressure

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  14. brewsir

brewsir

I would think that running the bags in front of the axle would require more pressure to lift the car as the bar is essentially a lever...a longer lever will need less muscle to get the same effect as a short lever.

15. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Yes, The lower links are level at ride height. The picture was taken from above with the frame sitting on the bump stops, so it is not the best.

16. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

How low are you guys getting with these setups?

17. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Mine sits on the orginal bump stops with no air pressure. I didn't feel there was any reason to c-notch the frame and go any lower.

18. fakesnake.com

fakesnake.com

Here's how low mine will go. Any lower and my rack and or oil pan would be touching the ground. Sorry about the larger pic.

[​IMG]

19. lgh1157

lgh1157

I sit on the frame with no notch

L

20. southern iron

southern iron

bring it to me i'll fix it for ya

21. jscoma47

jscoma47

This is the way I run'em on my truck... it rides real nice and took up the space where the coils where. Above the axle is a very common placement. I look at it this way... if you can mount the bags as close to the way stock coils would be you are going to get the best ride.... thats what the engineers are paid to figure out at the factory.