Register now to get rid of these ads!

United Speedometer Gone? Need Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'll put in another tip for Classic in Michigan. I've seen their work and it's second to none. BTW, there is no such thing as cheap/cheaper when it comes to this kind of work (unless your willing to settle for shoddy work) it's only "how much and when"?

Frank

2. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

True. True. But Classic quoted me 4x the amount that United did (which I guess could be the reason United went under??), and I thought Uniteds work was first class all the way.

3. Terry O

Terry O

If I had my stuff there I'd be sending a registered letter with return signature describing it and asking for its return. Mail an identical letter (copy) to yourself and when you receive it DON'T open it. Evidence. May be of some help if the courts are involved.

Terry

4. grander

grander

Hope this turns out better than it looks today. I have gauges there and would like to get them back. The phone has been disconnected and no message. I will be following this thread for any news.

5. Da Flash

Da Flash

OK
    Try Bob's Speedometer Service in Howell, MI. (1-800--592-9673) He was recommended to me by Classic Instruments as doing a great job and being less than half the price. They had the job done ('41 Ford panel) and returned in ten days. The owner is 2nd generation and they did very good work.
    Da Flash

6. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Hope this works out for you guys that have stuff in their shop. I hate to see so many old hot rod companies having trouble lately. However...

Classic Instruments is an alliance vendor. No, they are not cheap - it takes an incredible amount of knowledge, time, and equipment to do first rate restorations - plus they upgrade the stuff to electronic movements.

All the top builders use Classic - Troy, Johnson, Alloway, Dave Lane, Lobeck, Posies and more - there's a reason.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I agree that United's work was/is first class. We sent a bunch of work their way years ago and a lot of it is still in service doing a great job. I am a little surprised at your 4x quote from Classic but it may reflect the fact they are swamped and maybe trying to reduce the flow in their shop with higher prices. It will be interesting to see if the high quotes continue even after this down economy continues.

Frank

8. 41plym

41plym

Any updates on this? I was about to send them my speedometer for repair.

9. redlinegw

redlinegw
    from Newhall CA

Hello all, I am Shannon Hudson owner of Redline Gauge Works. I have known Rick at United Speedometer for over 20 years and this is very uncharacteristic of him so I hope we get some answers soon. I tried calling a few minutes ago and the line is still disconnected. I have worked in the instrument restoration business for 22 years and have had my own shop for the last 6 years. We specialize in instrument restorations for Muscle Cars, Street Rods and Hot Rod's. I have got a few jobs in the shop a few months ago that were pulled from United so something is up. We are a small family owned shop with 4 fulltime technicians including myself. We provide the highest quality service, fair prices and reasonable turn around times. Some of our customers are Jay leno, Chip Foose, Pure Vision, Hollywood Hot Rod's and Roy Brizio to name a few. If you need a reliable reputable place to send your gauges for restoration please give us a call at (661) 259-8891 ask for Shannon.

10. Now thats some SPAM right there.

11. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

She's just filling a Void,,,lol.

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Love those gauges!

Haha!

I'm running Plymouth in a '38 Lasalle. I was going to send them to United, but maybe I'll try Redline.

Attached Files:

13. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

I JUST came from there. They switched phone/internet providers and got screwed up royally by the new provider. He is trying to get the old system back but it will be a few days. They are still in business and not going anywhere.

14. BCR

BCR

Hey, give this guy a break.

I called him and talked to him about my gauge restoration project and told him I found out about his business on this thread. He said he had not heard of the HAMB but would check it out.

Also knew the guy who owned United and was very suprised to hear about his shop closing.

Shannon, on this board, it works best to do an into. Maybe check out becoming an alliance vendor too.

He was going to try to find out what happen to United's business and get some answers for you guys who have gauges there.

If he is guilty of spam it was my fault for not warning him about how this board works. Sorry. Mike

15. I've had experience twice with Bob's Speedometer and highly recommend them. I plan on using them in the future. They restored and updated the guages in my '31 Pontiac as well as built me a custom set of gauges using an original 36 Dodge cluster that was truly a knockout with custom colors, custom letter/number fonts, and custom emblems, etc. Talk to owners Bruce or Diane and tell them Rick from Tennessee sent ya!

16. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

We went through something similar a few months ago, so I can empathize. Five months later and we're still fighting to get our toll-free number back.

17. Thats good news. They better get on the phone and start calling ALL customers with work pending.

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

No kidding Tman!

19. You would think they would have the common sense to at least put somekind of explanation up on their website so customers are not panicing.

20. redlinegw

redlinegw
    from Newhall CA

Hey Shannon is a more common name for dudes in Ireland! Give me a break! hahahaha. SPAM? Say What?

21. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

Don't know what kind of website they have but if it's it's anything like ours it will be affected by their phone problems i.e. not being able to access it to make changes.

22. You might be right. I just tend to find that alot of companies do very little to update their websites once they are up and running and it makes no sense to me. They are there to provide info but if you don't update it they are really just a waste of time.

23. chuckw2

chuckw2
    from So Cal

True. I wish we would do something with ours but it's costs a lot of money to have it done right wnd we just don't have it to spend right now.

24. Hey Shannon. Welcome to the H.A.M.B. .. Lots of good people here.. And a few dipshits thrown in to keep it interesting. I have seen your work. Very nice. Join the Alliance (look who's talking...) There are a lot of people on this site.. It will be a good investment!

25. I haven't heard anyone mention Palo Alto Speedo in Ca. I personally haven't used them but guys in my club have with positive results. Anyone have any good or bad info about using them?

26. billsat

billsat

I had Bob's Speedometer redo the cluster in my 40 Ford. It was a rusted piece of worn out junk when I sent it to them, the gauge needles were stuck, the fuel gauge was missing, etc. In a word it looked "old", and Bruce and crew made it look new. It'll put a tear in your eye its so perfect.

27. called today whats up with that ? going by there thursday. and check it out.

28. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

I wish someone that lives near there would go by there. Maybe tell them to CALL HOT ROD CHASSIS, as well as the other folks on here that want their stuff.

29. firemangordy

firemangordy

Thanks for the compliments. It is a '33 Plymouth cluster that I bought off e-bay. I used United Speedometer for the gauges in my '41 and they look great and function properly. But, it took a long time to get them and I had to return them a couple times to get things right. I was very happy with the effort Shannon at Redline put into these gauges to make them look the way I wanted, and in a reasonable amount of time. I would use him again and highly recommend him.

Attached Files:

30. Why you should read the entire thread before replying, I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.