Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead oil on clutch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by megawatt220, Jan 4, 2010.

1. megawatt220

megawatt220

Hi all The clutch on my f1 was slipping, when I took it out it had oil on the flywheel side. My question is could it be coming from the transmission? The oil looked to be clean and heavy and it seems to be unlikely from the engine.

2. On most vehicles, engine oil would be slinging off the front of the flywheel. Any engine oil on the clutch would therefore be collateral damage, as in dripped down on it from the mess around it in the bell housing.

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The "candle stick" that bolts to the front of the transmission (what the throwout bearing slides on) has a seal inside it, replace that seal, and no more gear oil from the trans will be getting on your clutch, problem solved.

4. megawatt220

megawatt220

Yep I have one on order. However if it was coming from the rear seal could it get on the disc?

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I have only seen a few cases in which the engine oil was getting on the clutch disk because of a really bad rear main seal leak (you would really notice that the engine was leaking oil). Look at the seal from the transmission is the inside edge still sharp or is it flattend some (if it's flattend it's bad), check the input shaft to see if there is a groove worn in it from seal, also does the input shaft, and the inside of the candle stick have a coating of gear oil on them?

6. megawatt220

megawatt220

Thanks will do. only a few drops on the floor so I think it not the rear main