Register now to get rid of these ads!

John Milner's Dragster ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zack Methvin, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Does anyone know where and/or who owns the dragster that John Milner played the driver for in the movie More American Graffiti ?

2. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

I'm not sure who owns it, but J. Neal East -- a former auutomotive writer who runs a car book store in So Cal, had his car used to make the sound track. So if you can track him down, he might know. I have seen that car featured in one of the big magazine (Motor Trend, Car and Driver or Road & Track) not too many years ago.

Chances are pretty good it was Motor Trend as that's the only one I get. And the only reason I get it is that it's on my card and nearly impossible to cancel. But since I collect magazines and have all the cool MTs from the '50s and '60s, I don't kill myself to get it dropped.

3. This one?

Milner Dragster in Staging Lanes (More American Graffiti).jpg
    Milner Dragster (More American Graffiti).jpg
    Milner Coupe & Dragster (More American Graffiti).jpg

Sorry ... I don't know where it ended up after the filming at Fremont Raceway was completed.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. Where is the 57 "Bull Puckey"?

5. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

6. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Do you know what town or any more info for Neal? I am in Texas and not real familiar with cities/towns and such in California.
    Thanks,

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Was'nt it a Kellison ?

8. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

i sold the owner some blower drive stuff over 10 years ago it's in the north east somewhere :rolleyes:

9. Nope.

10. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

I wonder if it in still running. If any of you can find out anything i would really appreciate it.

11. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

12. im no help here, but id like to know more about this movie and the cars as ive only seen it once years ago. all i remember is being disapointed that the coupe didnt feature much in it. hope you can dig up some more info on the dragster.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Neal used to live in Alhambra,CA. at the time that MAG was filmed. He moved to Littleton CO. and kept the Doane 32 here in Pasadena till 96. This was probably the car used for the "soundbites"??? That car was taken apart in 86 and never made it back together under Neal's stewardship until the restoration by PC3g-SO-CAL Pomona.

Could that Digger be a Tom Hanna????

14. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

i wonder who,s car that is , sure looks like BLACK DEATH the 57 that the late Ron Filkins used to race in the mid 80,s

15. [​IMG]

I was driving from Arizona to Noth Dakota a few years back to pick up a car I had bought on ebay. I remember stopping at a museum along the side of the road in South Dakota. I do not remember exactly where but, it was in the western part near the Mount Rushmore area. There were a bunch of old hot rods and restos all over. There was a place to eat too. I was looking at a slingshot digger there. The gal in the museum told me that was the car used in the AG movie.
    I had no reason to doubt her but, do not know for sure.
    If you really want to know, you can probably find this location with some searching. Hope this helps. it was around 2005 or 2006. It was not on an interstate but a 2 lane hwy in a rural area as I remember it.

Steve

16. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

SWEET! I'lll take it....:D

17. never saw one of those before...thats got to be a pretty rare piece

18. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

wow, thats awesome, where (or, should I say, When) did you find that thing?

19. racer756

racer756

It looks like you can build it as a coupe body also..

20. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Thanks a million guys. I will follow up on your leads.

21. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

The big Auto museum in South Dakota is Pioneer Auto Museum in Murdo, S.D. on the western side of the state. There website is pioneerautoshow.com

Goodluck!

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  22. DCarr

DCarr

23. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

This could have been the place too. They sell a lot of cars. They are in the Rapid City area.
    http://motionunlimitedmuseum.com/index.html

I started a thread about this same topic a few years ago. It amazed me then, that NOBODY knew what happened to that car, or the "Hunt Brothers" car. The movie isn't that old, I can't believe those cars just disappeared!

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The "Hunt Brothers" car was purchased by Pierre Poncia and was rebuilt and raced at some GG's events (late 90's) it was called "The Sniper". There were 2 dragsters out there during that time, One the accual car and a flimsy copy used for promotion around the country. It is my belif that the original is at G.Lucas's "Skywalker Ranch" in a prop barn.

spanners likes this.
  25. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Hey Zack,

Good question on the Milner dragster. I was watching AG2 about a week ago and wondered the same thing myself about where the dragster was.

Keep us update and thanks!

1940 Willys Coupe

26. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

looks like the model kit shared most of it's content with the "Jawbreaker" model kit. i have one but it doesn't contain the body work for the Milner car, just the coupe body. i think the Ramchargers kit is the same as well.

was there two "Milner" dragsters used for filming? thought i saw that in a post.

Dave

27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

No, only one was used for filming, and then they put one together for promotional tours. The last filming scene for the dragster was it going through the shack at the end of the strip, that way if it got bent up too bad it would not hold up production since the final scene was already done.

28. motorhead711

motorhead711

I remember someone at dragfast 2 years ago talking about milners dragster. Last I heard it had been torn apart, and pieced out but someone in Los Banos has the body. That's all I know.

29. [​IMG]

Yes, I have been there too but, that is not where I saw the digger at. The Pioneer museum on right on an interstate on flat land if I remember correctly.
    The place I am talking about is in a hilly or mountainous area and on a 2 lane hwy. Much more remote than the Poineer museum.

Hope this lead helps you.

If I can remember anything else, or find pics, I will let you know.

Steve

Lawrence Clayton likes this.
  30. You might check over at WDIFL.com. Ewald has a pretty good idea where lots of that old stuff is.