Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasser55

gasser55

I have people ask me all the time if my awb 55 has hydraulics.....Hydraulics WTF????
    [​IMG]

2. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

I was told they didn't have 4bbl's in 1967

3. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

Some of these are hilarious. I've asked stupid questions before but never that bad.

4. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

a couple of years ago i was at my work (a large mercedes benz dealer) christmas party i got into a argument, 15 of them against me, i clean cars for a living but i was at a table with about 15 of our mechanics from work, i said i was going to adapt a m90 supercharger on the side of my old holden six, they got really pissed off and denied that it could be done, started making fun of me and saying i lived in fantasy land, one pulled out his mechanics trade card from his wallet and claimed he was rite becuase he had the card to prove it.
    i adapted it myself with no major problems and it all works perfect now and was fairly simple and i have no idea what they were on about and dont care, i guess being mechanics they may know how to remove and replace standard parts but have no idea of what can be fabricated on the front lawn at home becuase they probably waste their weekends watching tennis and playing golf.
    i dont talk cars with them anymore, they just dont seem to understand them.

on the way home from winning best custom at a large show i was advised by someone that i had a nice car but i could get a huge amount of money for my car if i could find the original parts and panels to return my car to stock, the only way to get him to shut up was to agree even though i knew doing so would waste years of work and halve the value when i could go out and pick up a stocker quite cheap.

why is it when you rebuild and customise a car to suit your personal taste to enjoy yourself that everybody thinks its a temporary investment you rebuilt for something to do.

5. The appraiser once asked what year my studebaker was, I had to explain "No son it is a 63 Dodge Max Wedge car" he appraised it at $17,000 which saved me a bundle on insurance for a couple of years but they added $10,000 when the next appraisal was done. Neither of them had any idea what it was.
    Also have a customer and friend and expert who I helped bring his race car from 14.49s to 10.40s who looks at everything I do and says "That will never work" What did you do it that way for?" It is so bad that two other friends sometimes follow him around the shop saying that behind him (right Vern?) and he doesnt get it even then.
    The crowning moment though was back when I was building the SrDragster he looked at the front suspension , put his hand on his hip and said "Don't like it, don't like it at all." I walked outside and said to my wife who had just stepped out on the porch. "The new car is going to be fine" "Why" she said. Doesnt -------er like it?" She didnt even know he was there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  6. Shit I thought I was the only one that got that kinda crap!:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

7. mopar210

mopar210

just a couple of mine , the 1st couple (OT) i had shown this car car for many years and heard these all the time . WHAT COLOR IS THAT um.... blue ! or , i had , or my dad had , or my cousin had a 69 charger just like that , or DOES THAT HAVE A 440 IN IT ? as i point to the hood script . now with the 29 i have heard , where did you get the kit from ? or why did you use all that wood in the roof and inside ? and of course , what color is that , um..... green (single stage with flattner is the answer) if i mention the flattner thing i always get the infamous "deer in the headlights" look. and of course this on all the time , did you drive that here ???

Attached Files:

8. Nvr2Fast

Nvr2Fast

I got the "when are you going to paint it?"

My response was, "I don't have to, Chevrolet was kind enough to do it for me back in 1956."

Similar question, "Why don't you drop in a small block?"
    My answer, "Chevy didn't like the idea when they built this particular car, so why ruin a good thing."

Attached Files:

9. I know the kid was put up to it.But I was asked what year Chevy my car was.I told him its the best looking 57 Chev you'll ever see.Saw him walk away and tell about his encounter to some dudes a bit older than me.Didn't see much of a chuckle out of 'em.I sure had a smerk go'n.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe it's just me but, how is asking whether or not a cars going to be painted a dumb question? I guess if it was someone who knew your plans, but...:confused:

11. In defense of an O'Reily's...
    I went up to my local shop that I have been dealing with forever and got a set of rotors for my wife's o/t Explorer. Told him the year and the engine and that it was 4X4...he pulled the set and I was on my way for the night. They were about two inches too shallow at the hub! Went to O'Reily's and told the 'kid' the same information. He typed it in the system and then asked me...."Wait, is this a two door?" I said, yeah...and then he said " I guess that's why they make us ask all these damn stupid questions!" and laughed. Bought the rotors there and they fit like a glove.:rolleyes: Went back to the local guy and said his were wrong, he told me no they aren't, Explorers are common and he sells the brake parts all the time...he looked them up again, looked out into the parking lot and said "Who knew they would put different rotors on a two door?" I bit my tongue and didn't respond "the kid at O'Reily's!":mad:

Ignorance is not brand or age specific....:D

12. jangleguy

jangleguy

As you can imagine, I get lots of questions about my V-8 Morris Minor. The weirdest thing that ever happened was one year when my brother (Rocky) and I had it at Bonneville. We were gassing it up at a gas station in Wendover, when a tiny elderly woman walked up and told me I should be ashamed of myself for "ruining a classic car". I chuckled and started to explain that it was a rusted out shell when I got it, but she went into an angry rant and ended up threatening to beat me with her giant purse! We hauled ass out of there, with Rocky laughing his ass off the whole time...

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

I had the exact same thought. If it's in primer, it's "primed", not painted. There is a huge difference. Seems like a legitimate question for someone to ask....:)

14. confederate

confederate

A "car guy" told me once, that my Impala came from the factory with rear leaf springs.

15. burnout2614

burnout2614

I get the mpg question, when u gonna paint it( my 33 chev has matt clear over base black) and "dont it run hot with that little fan?" All good questions, I answer them. BUT the guy who kept insisting that there was NO WAY I could drive my car on the street without fenders...............!!!! I didn't try to answer

16. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

My brother lived in Denver while going to school. Had an O/T 79 Regal that we pasted together before he left. On one occasion, of many trips there, the guy at the parts store said he needed a whole new wiring harness cause his was just to messed up. Shortly thereafter I went out, spent about 4 hours taking care of MSC issues on the car and the next day we drove it back to KC with the speedo @ 80 all the way! Didn't replace a single wire in that car, EVER....

17. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

I hate when they say nice caddy. Also "how do you get over speed bumps", or can you drive it? No you idiot i had my car teleported here from outer space.

18. DrJ

DrJ

Maybe they're asking about the valve lifters? :cool:

19. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

I love this story. It seems odd that some of the old crabasses in our hobby feel the need to exclude anybody new. It makes more sense to encourage a young kids interest in old cars, than sqaush it. If I had a son I'd much rather have him driving around in a classic than some jap four-banger crap box.

20. hoodrich56

hoodrich56

nice bel air

Attached Files:

21. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Nice rat rod kit car! (fighting words)

22. While at A filing station filling the tank on my 32 some Idiot say to his buddy and I quote:: Wow thats the same size Hemi my Dad had in his new 1963 GTO :: I like to Bull shit but sometimes you really have to admire a pro!

23. pdc

pdc

Had a guy at work tell us he had a buddy who "built" a engine for a O/T truck. The engine twisted the frame in half. Then he told us he built a motor that had double roller rockers, with a cam lift of .240 WTH. He said it was wild, told us that it was in a truck but if it was in a car you couldn't control it.

24. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Question: Did the order ever come in for the pipe? Just wondering...

25. airmentbob

airmentbob
    from san diego

here is a scenario at a car show...i had a younger cat with a 4 door 57 chevy 350 motor no mufflers so it sounds fast that he bought from a friend, running, tell me that he could smoke my 55 2 door sedan (454 bbc 5 speed) in an 1/8 mile strip because, here's the funny part, "the 454 doesn't kick in untill after the 1/8"

i get this one a lot too...is that a 56? the last one i responded to was "nah, it's a 55...the 56 is the ugly sister" people don't like when i give that response

26. Him: With no front brakes, thats a death trap.
    Me: They're drums.
    Him: Whats that?

Or
    Parts Guy: You can't have a '66 Barracuda, they didn't build them till '67.

27. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

So if you had to repaint that car all you would have to say at the counter is I need blue paint? I had this same response from a guy at a show when i asked what color was on his 33 ford. Pissed me off. I could see it was an orange car but what shade. Just smart ass responses from smart ass people is all.

28. I have lost count of how many Pontiac "experts" have told me that they had a '67 2+2 just like mine but it had tri-power from the factory. Yep, right, Pontiac discontinued multiple carburetion after the '66 model year. The larger displacement (389 to 400, 421 to 428) and the improved cfm of the Quadrajet made up for the change. I have the sales broceures and the factory parts books from that time with me and show it to them. Not to mention employment in GM parts departments from counteman to manager since 1970. But I still get told "My car was specially built".
    I can count on two hands how many factory "freaks" I've seen over the years.

Like Ed Cole's two seater 61 or 62 Pontiac LeMans, a early 70's custom F body with a aluminum big block and GM Styling tags on the lower fenders, Mac McKeller's 63 Pontiac with a 421 OHC motor, you get the idea.

I don't doubt that more are out there, but if I had a dollar of every "experimental" car or engine or transmission that I have heard of, I could have retired years ago.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  29. mopar210

mopar210

i guess i should have more specific , the title of the thread was "so called expert" i believe . the um.. blue remark happened at an o/t event , a national mopar event , and said expert was standing by the open hooded car , beside the lf fender tag (paint code) . he was a self proclaimed expert , and he did ask what color is it , in 1970 the challenger had 19 colors , 3 of which were blue , eb3 (very very light blue) eb5 (medium blue) and eb7 (dark blue metallic-"mine") big difference in all 3 , and most experts do know where the paint code tag is loctaed on a mopar , and which line it lives on . i guess my mistake was in using an o/t example , an example which apparently was lost on some . mopar210

30. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

I can see your point on the "expert" Remark. I have had several mopars and familier with the paint codes. Sorry for sounding like a dick. But like I said I had this same response from a guy and it really burned my ass. I knew it was custom . his wife was really nice and said it HOK tangelo pearl. So again sorry for sounding like a dick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.