Register now to get rid of these ads!

Local type source for clutch head screwdrivers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jan 2, 2010.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I need clutch head screwdrivers. I've called Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Sears, Autozone, Advance Auto, and Napa. Is there any local type place that I'm overlooking that may have them? I'm in Concord, NC, just outside the large metropolitan city of Charlotte. I can order some from the LMC truck catalog, but I was hoping to be able to get them sooner so I can do it to it.

As always, thanks for the help and thanks for this awesome place.

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I've seen um in big sets at the parts stores

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks dude. I called the ones around here and they said they didn't have them, but that could be because they don't know what they are. I'll drive out and look for myself just in case.

4. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Look up any of the Chevy truck parts suppliers: Brothers, Jim Carpenter, etc... they all have 'em..... All you need is three sizes and they're about 19.00 bucks....

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Clutch head screws used to be a hot item with travel trailers and mobile homes.
    You may be able to get the drivers at a mobile home parts place.

Home Depot and Lowe's have clutch head driver bits that are sold separately and in sets
    if that'll work for you, and they're open late.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. Caretaker of the 41

Caretaker of the 41

home depot,ACE hardware, and MENARDS all carry them in minnesota. if you dont have any of these then try a good hardware store. if you can't find any pm me and i can send you some monday. ASAP!

7. 61TBird

61TBird

Try Sears.
    I have a couple of Craftsman in my set that I've never used.....

8. boldventure

boldventure

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Guys, I appreciate the responses. I called Sears, Home Depot and Lowes. They all said they didn't have them. But maybe that's because they don't know what they are. They all tried to sell me clutch power drills, lol. I'm going to ride to Lowes and look for myself. Thanks again.

10. Try one of the local tool suppliers, the outfits that supply contractors and businesses. They are generally staffed with people who know what they are selling, or know how to get it. I am sure that Irwin still makes the bits, you just need to find a counter-jockey that knows how to look it up in the catalog.

Not local, but proof that they exist:
    http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Clutch_Head_Screw_Bits_p/vts-578.htm

11. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

12. Old Guy

Old Guy

13. bab59

bab59

Napa has them look in theyre tool book

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Snap-On truck usually has the sockets. My Cornwell dealer has them as well.

15. dotcentral

dotcentral

I was looking for the same thing around Charlotte about 5 years ago when I was rebuilding a Holley. None of the stores (Sears, Lowes, HF, etc) seemed to stock them, and sure didn't know what I was talking about. Tried calling a few tool trucks, forget the name, Matco or Snap-On maybe? They didn't stock them on a truck, and seemed like I was getting the run around. I wound up just using a regular flathead screwdriver, carefully.

Post back if you find a place. Seems like with all the racecar stuff in the area they'd be a bit easier to find.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

17. a40lover

a40lover

NAPA has them-Part #s M135,M136,M137,M138

18. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

OK guys, I went to Lowes, Napa, Advance, and Auto Zone to look for myself. None to be had. But good news, Big Lots had some. Of all places, who would have thought they would have them. I got a cheap ratchet type screwdriver set with bits for $6. It has 20 different screwdriver bits and metric and standard sockets. Two of the bits were clutch heads. And for the record, I have to give my wife all the credit. It was totally her idea to check there.:D

There are four different size clutch heads. The Big Lots set had two in it. I'm not sure what size they are, the package doesn't say. But the smaller of the two fits my fuel sending unit in my '55 2nd series Chevy truck (which is what I needed). Hopefully this helps somebody!

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Ace Hardware has them.

20. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Yeah I've seen them at Sears, Ace Hardware and Napa.
    I would suggest you go look for yourself if any are close and you might try looking
    for the sets of hex drive bits that use a driver that's like a 1/4" socket drive.
    It's cheaper and you can use different length extensions. Know what I mean?

21. 61TBird

61TBird

You'd better hang on to her and take her out to nice dinner....:D

22. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I will hang on to her. She's awesome. And I took her to Steak 'n' Hoagie. :D