Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1931 CHEVY COUPE BUILD:"The Don's" first Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Dec 28, 2009.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks for the heads up but unless this motor ends up being a waste I think we are good to go. With a baby on the way I am trying to get this car running very cost efficiently. We do have a bunch of stuff to sell that came with the car like running boards and hood ornaments etc. so that should get us new rear tires and brake master cylinders. Thanks for the heads up Mac!!!

2. sinks88

sinks88

thats great!!!! Nice story!

3. Gotcha- let me know what else you're getting rid of- I'm looking for some wire wheels and other stuff for my '28!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Alrighty Mac. I sold the wire wheels and tires off to Zach at Suhr Speed a couple months ago so I have nothing in the way of rollers. I have two of those winged men that go on as a radiator cap, bunch of engine do dads, pedals for the Mechanical brakes (not sure if I can use those), etc. I'll put a list together this weekend.

5. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Good lookin' out for the Don. I'm subscribed!

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Alright I guess I can throw some questions out there for you guys to answer if you can.

What should I be looking for as far as Juice brakes go?
    Gearjammer gave me the heads up on using the stock '31 Chevy axle and spindles with '54 Chevy backing plates and drums. But what about pedals and master cylinders? I was looking at some '39 Chevy units which include the clutch and all but I am not sure since the info is not as regularly available like Fords are. What are you guys recommending?

What tranny is a cheap option to throw behind a 250?
    Saginaw 3spd??? Or should I be looking for something else. I originally wanted to keep the torque tube which was going to be hooked up to a '54 Chevy rear but now I am not sure I am going to be able to because of the engine to tranny to driveshaft issue. Were mid 50's Chevy trucks using a torque tube still?

What about chopping these cars?
    From what I have read it has stated that through the center is the best option but how do you deal with the wood? All of the wood is original and in good condition carrying the original Blue color and I would like to keep that intact. Is there a special epoxy to join the wood together after it has been cut?

What's the opinion on the stance?
    I wanted to get a drop axle in there but I am not sure that his driveway will accept a low nose when entering. Once I was faced with that obstacle, I decided to leave the car up in the air like many Model A coupes that have been recently been popping up on the board. I think with the 7.50's in the back the car will look pretty cool but that doesn't mean that a 2" drop up front would look worse right? I'll have to do some measuring to see if the drop axle is out of the questions I guess. The other option was to flip the axle on top of the spring and build a new crossmember so that there is clearence and the car does not bottom out.

Give me some input my friends.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

7. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Not sure if this car needs a chop....But does need a visor. If you do the chop and want to secure the wood, use steel straps and screw above and below the cut line.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Gotcha! I do have the visor in the garage and it's in great condition so expect that to be a part of the car for sure. Thanks for the heads up on the straps.

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Visor is a no brainer. If you are going for L6, that will help with steering box, etc. I would re-locate the front crossmember if going with a 250/292, need a little space for the CS Damper/pulleys. Keep the front crossmember the same if you go with 235/261.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The Rocket was in there only because I had no available floor space in the garage. It most certainly would have been cool but I traded to Thunderbirdesque for some heads and so it's on it's way to New York as soon as my brother comes down next week.

I wanted to run an engine that would be pretty easy on the wallet if something broke and I think the 250 is that engine. SOort of like the SBC of inline 6's I think. As far as the tranny goes, I think $35.00 is about right haha!! I'll start looking for one asap.

What if you chopped through the center like I said. You couldn't get the channel to line up right so that the roll up still works? I'm guess anythings possible but if it's a difficult task and the we might lose that option, the old man might not go for it. He's already not sold on the idea!

11. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

lose the roll up windshield?? why? the mechanism is above where you would chop it, mine still has the roll up windshield, use a biscuit joiner where the wood meets, tighten all the orig carraige bolts where the wood meets the roof brkts etc, and use the biscuit joiner there as well it tightens up all the wood, I did this on 2 cars and used a ton of biscuits on them works nice, use gorilla glue on them done.....

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Just my opinion. The header with the rollup takes up about 4" of space. If I left it there and choped out 2 to 4 inches I think my neck would be bowed to look out what's left!

Stand back and look at it. I would never chop it. Here's my (off topic) '29 daily driver, not chopped. If I decided to lose the tall and skinnys, and lower it, I don't think a chop would improve on it, with or without fenders..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  13. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

original steering box is junk, you will never like driving this car with that box in there, use a 57 chevy p/u, it has way too many turns lock to lock, so lengthen the steering arm to get it back down to normal, its a great box and can take alot of abuse, 2' drop to the orig axle wont cause any clearance problems, I wouldnt move the axle to the top, there is just no room for it and causes more grief than needed, use the stock springs, play with the leafs, I cant remember how many i have in mine, I think I took 1 out, it rides perfect, I can check that for you....use as much stock stuff as possible, it works

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks for the advise fellers! I'll look into the steering box and the rest of your wisdom I'll treat like gospel. Thanks for the help and any more input is always greatly appreciated.

15. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Great story and nice work on the car. Good luck!

16. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

that was cool of you... good deal dude..

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Evel!

I started thinking about the steering box last night and went out there and played with it for while. The original one steers so nice right now and pretty effortlessly I might stick with it until I can get a better idea of it's cons. I'll keep and eye out for the '57 box like you said Gearjammer just in case I spot one cheap. Need to pick up the engine this weekend and perhaps find a tranny so I can get that mounted in. Might get some stuff done this weekend but I need desperately to clena my garage before my brother comes down with more shit!

18. I love the pic of your bud torchin wearing RayBans. Classic!

Your my new hero...not only because of the kind act you did, but for growing that beard back!

19. HARD EDDY

HARD EDDY

J. James you are the man. great story love the car.need more good people like you.

20. Just can't wait till the snow melts so I can start drivin mine again.
    Great job on the coupe. You are not alone. I met a guy from MS with a coupe buid and I.ll send him a link to this thread, Bob.

Attached Files:

21. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

You did a great thing. I thnik that this will help build a stronger relationship along with a great hobbie.

Jeff

22. BLAINE 816

BLAINE 816

I have a soft spot for 31 chev. Coupes. We ran a 31, olds powered in a/gas and aa/gas in the late 50s and early 60s.at the old kcta drag strip
    in kansas city . Keep up the good work ,post more pics. As work continues.

23. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Nice vibes for the New Year, thanks for the story and pics.

Will Kimble

24. HotRod33

HotRod33

Giving him the car is pretty cool............ looks like a great car.......

25. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

Hey Jeff, good to see that someone else tackled a '31 Chevy. It is so much more work than a Ford, especially when all the wood is gone.. I replaced all the wood and fabricated a frame that fits over the chassis so I can channel it anyway I like. Also I pinched the front and rear of the chassis so I can fit some Ford parts... and it looks so much better when you made a high or low boy out of it. I narrowed the A pilllars and made my own screensurround and put a '31 Ford visor on. I had the same storing problem as you did. Keep the pics comin.

Leen

Attached Files:

26. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

This picture belongs to the storing problems...

Attached Files:

27. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Jeffery, That fuckin' RULES!The Don looks chuffed to bits wth his Coupe and so he should be as its gonna be bloody AWESOME,Oh nice beard too by the way!:D:D

Nick.

28. dotcentral

dotcentral

I didn't see this answered before, but if memory is working, '55 1st series was when the trucks went to an open driveline. I think the cars went in '53 if PG, and '54 for manual.

29. mr.heavy duty

mr.heavy duty

what a great thing your doing. i'm impressed with the heart your putting into your relationship with your father inlaw. if half that much heart goes into that chev it will be first cabin in anyones eyes.:)

30. Jeffrey,

Sorry for the delay in pics- too many irons in the fire this week! I'll get them taken and sent tomorrow.