Register now to get rid of these ads!

Working on my '62 Falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StevieJo, Jan 1, 2010.

1. StevieJo

StevieJo

After sitting in the driveway for the past 3 months, Jay has got my '62 Falcon in the shop. He thought it would be a great idea to have me come and help. LOL!!! I am mechanically chanllanged. But, not wanting to dissapoint him I'm giving it a go. I spent the better part of yesturday removing the grill and 2 front quarter panels (with a little help on some of the tougher bolts) but I got it done!!! Mind you, I did not come away unscathed. Many bruises, scuffed nuckels and very sore muscles to boot but I felt like I accompished something! :D Today he says I'm going to tackle the front suspension. Oh God!!! I thought the hard part was over!!! Oh well, I've got my grungy clothes and my Falcon manual under my arm. What can go wrong, right? Hehe, I hope he has some more patients in reserve for me cause he'll probably need every ounce of it he can muster. :eek: We've been getting some pics as we go. Hopefully, one of us will get some posted for everyone to see.

2. Thats the only way you will learn anything is by getting hands on experience! Going to learn quite abit pretty quick.

3. ronnie tidwell

ronnie tidwell
    from odessa tx

them falcons are worth all the hard work, keep it up, u will love the final results

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, you couldn't have picked a better car to learn with... Your post could have been mine had this board existed thirty years ago! By the way, I still have my '62 waiting for another shot at life in my back yard.

5. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

cool, whats your plans?

6. StevieJo

StevieJo

Hubbies been putting a new floor in the front for me. We are planning on lowering both, the front end and the back. I'm not wanting to do anything too crazy with it cause I love it the way it is. New paint, body work. The interior isn't in too bad of shape so we will probably just put new filling in the seats for now. New brakes, you know, the usual. Right now it's got 3 on the tree but we may end up putting a 5 speed on the floor eventually. I'm not sure I want to do that yet.

7. R Pope

R Pope

Buy a wrecked 302 HO Mustang and put all the goodies on the Fulcrum. Leave the exterior stock as a stone, and go hunting Jap crap!

8. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

9. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Those bruises aches and pains all feel great when they come from working on your own car.

Can't say the same about the ones I have from shoveling snow.

Post up some pics of the falcon. '62 is my favorite year Falcon and hopefully some day..........

10. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

the round body falcons have a soft spot on me... Need pix for sure..

[​IMG]

11. StevieJo

StevieJo

Today went much better than yesturday! I only got 1 bruise but I'm so sore I could hardly move. I'm not sure if it was from all the work we did yesturday or my bout on the Wii fit. I managed to get the entire front suspinsion off!!! Yeah! And scrapped and cleaned the interior floor. After that, Jay had me paint some stuff in the shelby mod to prevent rust (he told me what it was but me being me, I can't remember the name of it. All the while, my hubby was makein and welding patches in places that needed them. I took lots of pics and I will get them posted with some of the tech terms with Jay's help. Thanks everyone for all of your great feedback. Please, keep it coming for me.

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Hang tough. Of course, driving a bitch'n ride is cool by itself, but it's even cooler when somebody asks you a question, and you know all about it, because you were right there when the whole deal was going together. Especially if they don't expect you to know....

13. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

keep on it ,,,we got cruisin to do

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

Very kool. And doing the work no matter how painfull, will be worth it. We just spent the day changing the color of the roof of this ranchero. It belongs to a friend of mine, and is his daily driver, no matter the weather. It was his first time painting and the gloss he threw down was amazing. Keep up the good work...John

Attached Files:

15. StevieJo

StevieJo

That looks great!!!! I'm planning on using my '62 as a constant driver, if not daily. It'll be on the road more than not, I think.

16. 69fury

69fury

Right on. RoundBirdsRule!

17. JAWS

JAWS

Dear GOD you need help.........Jay is a bad influence on everyone....

nice work btw.

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Here's a couple pics, I'm giving her a crash course in uploading and posting pics so she can take it from here!!

[​IMG]

This was what it looked like when we got it

[​IMG]

Found some nice repairs from PO,,,

[​IMG]

Passenger side was so bad they patched it twice!

[​IMG]

My patches,, Be lookin for caveman floor patch tech!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She cleaned and POR-ed the inside of the frame and in the spring pocket/upper A arm mount,, after we did the shelby mod. (she got confused earlier... never happened before)

[​IMG]

new lower fender mounts,

[​IMG]

There she is,, brushing to the best of her abilities

[​IMG]

And here she's learning the magic fender removal cuss words.....

Plans are,, ranger brakes on all four corners, 3-4" drop on both ends, re-arched rear wheel opening, , shiny white roof, hot rod flats plum crazy mettalic on the rest, shiny plum colored14" smoothies w/spiders and beauty rings, pinner whites and a purple white and black interior.

The 6 is staying, will get a 5 speed sometime down the road.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  19. JAWS

JAWS

see what I mean....help and lots of it....

she should slap you Jay. I thought you said you loved your wife. teaching her bad words...shame shame shame..

20. Deadbird

Deadbird

This is very cool. Husband and wife car building. Now that's something!

Jay, I'm shocked that you wanted to replace those floor pans. haha.

Keep the pics coming. Will this be in Wayland? Sure hope so.

21. duste01

duste01

Man! I wish I could get my wife to just be around to see what I do. I would drop over dead if she actually got into the action. Good for you to be adventurous, the end result will make you proud of your acomplishments, whatever your passion.

22. StevieJo

StevieJo

Today is going to be another busy day for all of us!!!! First stop is taking my daughter, Alex shopping in Springfield then off to the HAMB-burger horeshoe lunch at Dublins at 1:00. Finally, after all of that, going to the shop the put my front end back together. Did I mention that I'm dragging Alex there with me. She's going to help today whether she likes it or not, hehe. I hope everyone enjoys the pics my hubbie posted for me last night. He showed me how to do it so I'll be trying my hand at that too later on. I should have some more up after everything is said and done today. Thanks again for all of your feedback!!!!

23. JAWS

JAWS

CHILD labor laws do not apply at Da Tinmans shop obviously....

Helping you put the car together, well isn't that why you had her?

24. Heard a little bit about this last week and thought: "I'll believe it when I see it"...well....:cool:.

I can't wait to show this to your mother-in-law.:D

I'm really proud of you! Also, only 8 posts (as of this minute, 5 of them right here) and you've started a thread - man, talk about makin' 'em count!

Can't wait to see what the "crew" accomplishes today, hope Alex has fun.

25. H3O

H3O

motor wise all you need is a 200ci six banger in there. has enough power and doesn't use up much gas. got that in my car with a 2spd and gettin 18-20mpg in the city. with a 5spd behind a 200 you should get around 23mpg in the city and somewhere in the 30's on the highway.

looks like fun.

here's mine for some ideas for ya.

[​IMG]

26. H3O

H3O

if you're gonna drop it 4in you will need to raise the driveshaft tunnel for clearence. i rubbed havin my friends in my car with me and mine's dropped 3in.

27. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

Keep up the good work it will pay off for you. Got a pic of something in the purple you are going to paint it?

BBC

28. StevieJo

StevieJo

We took the bottom one out of the front end. For some reason, Hubbie doesn't think this is right. We replaced it with the straight one.
    [​IMG]

These are the 3" lowering blocks that went into the rear.
    [​IMG]

My daughter Alex(Emokid on the HAMB) and I playing with the springs. See, we are having fun!!!
    [​IMG]

The rear at it's new ride hieght. We are going to raise the tunnel to avoid the drive shaft rubbing. Gee!!! I feel smart (with hubbies assistance).
    [​IMG]

Front view with Alex with it's new 5" drop. The upper control arm will get modified to correct ball joint angle.
    [​IMG]

Finally, this is me making motor noises, shifting gears, honking the horn and dreaming of my first drive.

[​IMG]

Purple is here: http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/HRF262.aspx !!:D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  29. JAWS

JAWS

Very cool!

30. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

keep it up,,,,its a good thing you had a big lunch