Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC in a 28/29 RPU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by budd, Jan 1, 2010.

1. budd

budd

i wish i had a flathead going in but i don't, so my question is, what is the general location of a SBC, 283, in a 28'29 RPU, distance from the firewall and height above the frame rails, thanks in advance for any help.

2. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Well I say have at least 1 in between the fire wall and the distributor so you can get the thing out if need be. As for the height above frame rails, that would be determined by ride height, suspension travel, and also how high in the tub you want to be sitting over the tranny.

3. budd

budd

at this point i'm thinking of running an old mallory dual point and a crab cap, it will be a full fendered, 4" drop axle, pretty much just the norm.

4. to put a sbc into a 28/29 that is full fendered and has a stock dimension frame you will need to recess the firewall about 3"....that will give you room for a point distributor and a mechanical fan. for height , i copy Pete & jakes frame mounts..they have the horizontal tube for the bolt about even with the top of the frame

5. teddyp

teddyp

you could use a mallory unite dizzy its the same size as a duel piont

6. budd

budd

and then i would use a stock rubber insulated motor mount?

7. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

It's a tight fit. You will need to recess the firewall 2-3 inches regardless of the distributor. Here is a photo of my 28 RPU with a SBC.

Doug

Attached Files:

8. yes , i like to use napa # 602-1054.....about $7 each

[​IMG]

9. budd

budd

thanks for the pic, my next question was if the gas tank needed to be recessed as well, and the answer is...no..i think the crab cap will give me lots of room.

10. budd

budd

thanks, part number and all...geez what a great guy

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy used one of those light weight stamped wheel barrow tubs for the firewall indent when he put the small block Chev in his 29 A full fendered roadster in the mid 70's. I think this is the car, http://www.hotrodhotline.com/featur...ateandrew/html/09nsragoldenstateandrew_31.php with a different owner and more frufru added on to it. Note that you can see the recess in the firewall for the engine setback.