Register now to get rid of these ads!

somebody blow up e-bay....please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heyitsnate, Nov 26, 2004.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i'm hawkin' my truck on the bay,and i 've been getting a lot of dumb questions,but this takes the cake!
    Question about your item

Dear nate,

Is this how this car came, I mean I know it's kuztom but did you just cut the bed off then do some stuff to it.

2. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

hey! my post got scrambled...but you get the idea....let's hear some dumb questions you've heard....

3. Key words 33/34 ford rat rod,,,,,,

The e-bay add was as follows,,,,,word for word,,,

I'm sellin' a 33 ford grill shell,,,,rough and rusty,,,chrome in very bad shape,,,a few bars broken,,,good for rat rod,,, ,,,thank you,

The reserve was set at $150.00

Now you can imagine how nice it is for 150 fun tickets and I had 3 photos showing how rough it was,,,,with a lotta hard work it could look fair!

1st. dumb ass,,,,will it fit a 38 chevy?

2nd. dumb ass ask,,,,will it fit my car?,,,,this guy is a real rocket engineer,,,he dosen't say what kinda car he has!

3rd. question,,,,Is the chrome in good shape?Duh!

I had 22 different people bid on the shell 64 times,,,
    even with these 3 idiots somebody bought it for $975.00,,I still don't believe it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. haring

haring

I will blow up eBay tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

5. AntiBling

AntiBling

Not really a ebay question, but when I sell stuff on the internet, I usually sell a lot of stuff at one time. These are common emails I get. For the record I always post a price with something, and 99% of the time pictures, lots of them if its something to show a condition.

"How much are you looking for it."
    "Do you have any pictures of it."
    "Ill give you $$$ for it."

Not such stupid questions, but when they dont express what "it" is, Im kinda at a loss. So at first I would indulge.

"What item were you interested in?"

Response,

"What site are you from and what are you selling"

Seriously some of these people should be castrated.

6. I'm just pissed about the guys that outbid me on something by 12 cents.

7. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

WTF...

I did not even know you can fucking bid in that small of an increment........ damn that guy is cheap. cause even with broadband, you don't really have the time to bid by the penny.......maybe 50 cents at the least or you'll get sniped at end...

8. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I think its the snipers that do that. I was following a 31 vicky for ten days, and a guy bid against me the day before. the end, but he bid 6500.50 which set my bid off by 50 cents then in the last 30 seconds of the auction he out bid me by a whopping 50 cents. I was so pissed. by the way what is this snipeware, and where do these guys get it?

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

[ QUOTE ]
    I think its the snipers that do that. I was following a 31 vicky for ten days, and a guy bid against me the day before. the end, but he bid 6500.50 which set my bid off by 50 cents then in the last 30 seconds of the auction he out bid me by a whopping 50 cents. I was so pissed. by the way what is this snipeware, and where do these guys get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll never know if the winner had placed a bid of $7500.00, and saved himself $999.50. [​IMG]

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I always bid in odd increments - usually $0.51. It's useful for small ticket items. For larger ticket items where the increment goes up, I do the same & bid odd dollar amounts.

When you get outbid by an odd amount less than the increment, I think what happens is the proxy bidding actually works the way it should & it doesn't just compare your two maximum amounts. So your proxy bid before your max bid was beat & your max bid is less than his max bid...he only has to bid more than the increment the first time.

I do use sniper software - it actually keeps me from bidding any more than I really want. It's far too easy to bid early, get outbid, & go back to bid more than you initially intended because it either a - pissed you off or b - the more you think about it, the more you want it. I also like to fool myself by thinking if I don't bid on it & bring attention to the item, I might get it cheaper...rationally, I know it doesn't really work that way, but it makes me feel better. Kinda like setting my alarm clock ahead & then hitting the snooze button - I know I'm not getting any more sleep, but I feel like I'm getting away with something somehow! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I liken it to a woman at a shoe sale... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I have had the high bid with my snipe service and still lost the auction because it wasn'r a whole bid increment, but since I wasn't technically out bid, I don't get a notice. And yes it may appear that you were outbid by 50 cents but that guy may have bid much more than that. I get outbid that way a lot and it still pisses me off.

12. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

People with sniper software piss me off.

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    People with sniper software piss me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple things come to mind:

"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"

&

"Fight fire with fire"

It used to piss me off too, but living over here, the majority of the auctions end while I'm asleep, so I can't stay & watch 'em. I'd much rather submit my bid to my sniper software, than try to wait up to bid at the end.

If you're going to tell me to just make my bid, I'll refer you to my previous post - where I feel like I'm saving myself money. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. An interesting comment received via email from a bidder on my 462" Buick powered, roll bar equipped 32 roadster:

"I don't like the Buick engine or the roll bar...." [​IMG]

Another that set me off a touch was a demand, not a request, a demand - "Send me all the pictures you have and all the specifications about the car."
    I think that one from either a total jerk or a snot-nosed 14 year old.
    (My apologies to all right thinking 14 year olds who may have been offended.)

Yeh . . . I still got the car, it was a bargain to my mind, but I ain't sending it to the home for idiots.... [​IMG]

15. I posted a truck on ebay the ad read....
    this truck is very rough needs a lot of body work, tires back window, a lot of body work!! not currently registered.
    replies i got...
    could i drive this truck to alabama (i'm in California)
    how's the body? [​IMG]

16. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

it is not just ebay..... 15 years ago i used to buy & sell 20- 30 vehicles a year. I'd sell , trade , swap them with folks.

I had a Ford courier p-up. A real ruff turd, no front bumper, tires fair, battery would start it 1/2 the time. 150k miles on it.

I ran an ad with photo in the truck trader here in phoenix knowing I'd get many calls on a $400.00 truck. I had a description of many problems with the truck.

People wanted a near new truck for 400.00.

A guy at the shop I worked at the time came up and starts showing me the 400.00 truck in the Truck trader.... "looks good" he says. I called him a dumb ass and pointed at the Courier 50 feet away...... look like that truck?? I asked him.

[​IMG]

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

18. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I just scored 7 road maps and tourist guides from the '50's including California and Florida (I collect auto ephemera) for £1.99 plus £2.50 shipping. [​IMG]
    I'm pretty happy with that.

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You must be one educated dude to use 'ephemera' correctly in a sentence... [​IMG]

I had to look it up! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Gracie

Gracie

Isn't ephemera when a guy acts sissy?

21. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I sell parts on the net all the time.
    I always put "free shipping" in with the price in my adds.
    frist question 65% of the time,,, " how much to ship to..."
    LOL
    I had a sterring wheel that did not sell after three weeks ( not here ) I doubled the price, it sold in a day ,WTF?

22. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Yeah, eff ebay...I had the highest bid on a set of Spider Caps and some bastard outbid me in the last 5 seconds!

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Find something you want on Ebay, say for $50,and you REALLY want it. Put in a bid for $5000 and I'll guarentee you'll own it. Now if someone puts in a bid for $4,980 you still win. YOU did say you REALLY wanted it didn't you? [​IMG] [​IMG] Again, bid what you will be willing to part with for any item, if you don't own it at auction end someone else wanted it more. When that happens don't cry about it because you were trying to get it cheap. Remember I just told you how to own anything that's on Ebay.

Frank

24. Rathbone

Rathbone

I bid what I think something is worth to me at leave it at that. So obviously I never win. I guess I'm the guy that makes sure everyone is paying above market value for everything.

25. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm just pissed about the guys that outbid me on something by 12 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're really that pissed off about 12 cents,
    then you should've bid more....

I've said it before, but ebay all depends on who is looking
    for what, and when....
    I've scored killer rare parts for CHEAP, and there have been
    a few times where I paid alot more than some people would pay,
    but I really wanted the part and now I have it....

Overall, I'd say that the price vs. part ratio has averaged
    out fairly well for me....
    I've only been straight ripped off once, and only recieved
    one or two items that weren't quite up to par as far as the
    description went.... not bad for 5 years and 200+ purchases..!!

Later, Snacks....

26. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

[ QUOTE ]
    Find something you want on Ebay, say for $50,and you REALLY want it. Put in a bid for $5000 and I'll guarentee you'll own it. Now if someone puts in a bid for $4,980 you still win. YOU did say you REALLY wanted it didn't you? [​IMG] [​IMG] Again, bid what you will be willing to part with for any item, if you don't own it at auction end someone else wanted it more. When that happens don't cry about it because you were trying to get it cheap. Remember I just told you how to own anything that's on Ebay.

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]
    fab32 hit the nail on the head,someone told me this once and it made all the sense in the world........
    It was my wife who told me! [​IMG]

27. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

[ QUOTE ]
    You must be one educated dude to use 'ephemera' correctly in a sentence... [​IMG]

I had to look it up! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone in england uses english properly compared to us.... so i guess they are all more educated!!!

i had to look that word up also.

28. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

[ QUOTE ]
    Isn't ephemera when a guy acts sissy?

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHA

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

You really can spend a bit more on eBay and justify it. If something is going for $100.00 at most fleamarkets, most people never factor in the lost pay you could make taking the day off, gas to & from the meet, plus food etc. It has never rained inside while I've been bidding or selling on eBay. [​IMG]

30. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I love ebay. I sell more than I buy and have very few problems. Yeah I get the occasianal question the answer to was there if they would have read the text, but it isn't a big deal. And I have been stiffed a couple times, still no big deal. You accept it as part of having the whole country come to your auction. I was offering most of my stuff here first but I almost always get double on ebay for the same stuff. My biggest problem is newbys, I have to educated about one a week. They win and then decide they don't want it or take forever to pay, or pay 5 seconds after the auction ends before you can invoice them for the total with shipping.
    I did have a little pissing match with another seller a couple weeks ago. I had a set of bumper brackets up and I always get $125-$150 for them if I make sure there aren't another set advertised. I run mostly 7 day auctions, then this clown lists his on a 3 day auction to end an hour after mine. I got $93 for mine and he got $86. I sent him a message and told him I didnd't appreciate it and he had actually shot us both in the foot. We had a few exchanges with him playing tough guy and threatening me. I stayed cool and just the facts. He finally settled down and appologized.