Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Ford Falcon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by newfalconowner, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Rick,

It looks real good. I am very partial to Falcons. I like your Avitar. Here is a drawing a friend did of my Falcon. Same Rat Fink theme.

Good luck on your project and keep posting updates.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. 28Abone

28Abone
    from Toronto

Hi there I see the car is coming along nice...... I was wondering how far you set back the motor in the frame? from the front bumper mount holes, I have [​IMG] been busy on mine as well. Keep up the good work! Dennis. :)

3. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

I will measure tomorrow for you, i just fit in in til my pan looked good,lol.

4. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

few more pix from tonite

Attached Files:

5. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

Im putting in a 390 in my falcon,, looks like your using a small block?

6. 28Abone

28Abone
    from Toronto

Hi there,
    yes I am I just wanted to get a idea of it....... Thanks for your reply Dennis. :)

7. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

where do you want me to measure from,, the front of the crossmember to the mount? or ???

8. 28Abone

28Abone
    from Toronto

Hi there, from the front cross member to the middle of the motor mount would be nice thanks, Happy New-Year
    Dennis. :)

9. StevieJo

StevieJo

Looks great!!!!! I know you are probably as excited about your Falcon as I am about mine!!! Keep the pics and posts coming so I can see how it's going for you.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

I hope you are putting a gusset or two on those mounts.After seeing your working conditions I'm gonna have to quit complaining about mine.It is great to watch your Falcons progress,looks like you can handle ANY problem thrown at you!! ROY.

11. shagg'n

shagg'n

Nice work,car looks awesome!Amazing how the cold doesn't matter when you're having fun!Press on brother!Shaggn

12. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

yeah soon as it warms up i will be back at it,, nothing like workin in -15*c garage with a leaky roof and no heat..

13. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

heres the pass side mount,, needs another gusset and final welding, but looking better

[​IMG]

drivers side

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  14. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

if it wasnt for my little grinder melting on me i might of had the trans crossmember done. its only -5*c lately so pretty warm out there..

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This project has been on my radar for a while, but I don't know if I've said just how cool I think it is. I think the '62s have the best styling of the Falcons, and there just aren't enough 390/4-speed anythings in the world.

-Dave

16. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

17. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

got the trans crossmember figured out,(yes there is the stock rubber mount being used), now its on to the firewall and flooring... update when i get it figured and tacked on.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  18. 65COMET

65COMET

That looks alot like an automatic!! I have been told not to run a rubber trans mount along with solid engine mounts,it may crack the trans case. ROY

19. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

thats a mock up trans, and the motor mounts are getting revamped soon. thanx

20. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You don't want to mount the trans solid with solid engine mounts it will crack the case, nothing wrong with using a rubber trans mount with solid motor mounts, if the chassis flexes the rubber mount will save the trans case.

21. fastphil

fastphil
    from lufkin tx.

great progress on your ride.snug fit with that oil pan.i was concerned also ,but sounds like your on top of it.might want to weld some lateral bracing on those motor mounts. engines want to move front to back.i'd be worried about that small tubing cracking.

22. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I agree you wouldn't want to solid mount the tranny with rubber mounts on the
    engine, but the tranny should be alright rubber mounted but I hope you're putting
    a third leg on the engine mounts going back or forward or a engine limiter of some type

23. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

thanx guys,, once i make headers i will finish bracing the motor. i just want room for the header tubes before i go bracing the mounts and having to remove some.

24. nutajunka

nutajunka

Not to discourage you, but what are your welders capabilites? The welds look kinda sketchy to me, especially the weld on upper control arm mount needs to be really good. Probably won't hurt to make some sort of u-bolts or straps to make sure it stays in place. I think you need more rake on the upper control arm mounts. I could'nt dream of working in your conditions up there. Maybe when your close to doing your finishing work you could get someone to burn the welds in a bit deeper. Stay safe and good luck!

25. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

not discouraged at all, i jsut ignore comments like that.. this is all mock up stage right now (as mentioned lots). once everything is all laid in place then i will burn it all in.. thanx

rick

26. 65COMET

65COMET

The comment I made on solid mounts was told to me by two different trans builders in two different parts of the country.I have had solid mounts in my 10 second 4-speed Comet for 15 seasons,NO cracks!Rick;my comment on the type of trans was not meant to be more than a bit of a rub on your signature. ROY

27. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

cool, no problem :)...

28. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

Nice build. It's got a mean stance, and even with a stock 390, and the light weight, it should move you along at a fair pace. I'll be over there this summer,at Scotia Speedway. I hope to see it on the road

29. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

i hope too, well let me know when your around,, if its mobile lets go scare some girls :)

30. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

got my new motor mount kit from welder series, i made my own motor plates so just got the lower parts... they will be on this weekend so have nice mounts :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.