Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can somebody run a VIN, plate for me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rods Ta Hell, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Does anyone have access to a database? I can PM the #'s to you. I have the VIN # and license plate #, but Carfax wants $35 to look it up.

I'm looking to buy a running engine out of a late model for a project (drove it, runs fine). The owner is parting it out. Though he owns it, I don't know if it's got a lien, up for repo, been reported stolen, etc.
    The price is right for the engine, however the catch is that he lives in an apartment and I'd have to remove the engine at my place-then he'll trailer it away. Easy enough, however, I don't want to end up with a vehicle if he vanishes and the car is hot or up for repo, etc. and parted out in my garage!
    My only cop friend is now retired/out of state, so I don't have that connection any longer.
    I don't feel comfortable walking into the police station with a VIN/plate of what could be a problem.

2. chitle

chitle
    from ventura CA

PM me the info, with your phone # ,and I will check it out and call you back.

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Just call your local DMV. They wont give you personal info but will verify owners name if you supply it and status of ownership. Tell them you wish to buy the car.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Is there a way to find out the last owner of an older truck ? I have a truck with no title , no biggie but I have the vin plate still on the cab and still on original frame . Then maybe I could get a lost title re issued ?
    Has anyone ever done this one before ? I live in Pa and we have to do an "enhanced" inspection , pain in the ass ! If I had a title that would be a huge help and a hell of a lotta less headaches to go through . I have no idea what state the truck was last registered in .
    It's a 1937 Plymouth p/u truck so collector titles are not around !
    Any help would really be great !

RetroJim

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I tryed that with the Nebraska DMV and they said they only run Vin numbers for law inforcement. I explained they said, tough shit!

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Due to the privacy laws now, it is near impossible for most people to get any info from the dmv.

Old plates can help, old registration slip in the glove box or over the visor?

On the parts car for the engine, I'd first ask the guy if he has the title or other proof of ownership on the car. This day in age I don't think that is too much to ask. Or if it has a plate on it send the plate number along with the vin to the appropriate volunteer.

7. Note that CARFAX and similar methods will only work on 17-digit VINs. That is, it works for vehicles built in the 1981 model year and NEWER!!!

8. Most, if not all States, now require YOU to be the current and registered owner of the vehicle before they'll divulge that info nowadays. They will not provide you the info otherwise.

9. CHOP36

CHOP36

To RETRO JIM , Iam from PA i go to a MV office to flip titles in dealers names that i do work for.If you PM me vin i can find out if it is registed in PA.I wont be back at MV till next Thrusday.Back in 72 we had a 38 Plymouth pu that we used to run to get parts with at gas station.I sold truck in 75 that the guy never transfored title that we got back because he never paid rent on garage about 5 years later.Let me know if i can help. Marwyn

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's a 2000 model year. I'm just trying to save myself the $35 Carfax charge to get a simple answer as to wether the vehicle is hot or legit. Was hoping someone on the HAMB works at a dealer, etc. and could run the VIN for me.

11. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Again, you just have to call the DMV (here in Ca) and tell them you are thinking of buying this car/truck...give them the VIN, they will tell you if any back fees are needed, and/or if it's been reported stolen.

12. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

PS...I just did this on a '63 Studebaker thispast Monday, had to spend 35 minutes on hold though.

13. CHOP36

CHOP36

IF you can pm me vin i can get one of my dealers to do car fax or auto check that is the one the major auto auctions use if wont be till Monday

14. dbradley

dbradley

I have got 'some' info on cars by just using Google. Put in the VIN and search.

15. CenValyCali

CenValyCali
    from Hanford

Send me the info and I'll have my buddy check it out. I should have your answers tonight.

16. eBay gives you four free listings for cars a year and now has their own equivalent of Carfax right in the listings for cars with a 17-character VIN. Post it for sale there, then end it early before it hits their searches, cost: Free -

17. Yep, Here in California you can just call DMV and they will tell you if VIN is clean or not. Simple.

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.
    I just called the DMV and they said it's not hot but the title has a lien on it. I'm guessing he's upside down on the payments and is trying to sell parts off of it to get cash.
    My concern is that he'd report it stolen as soon as it hit my driveway.

19. johnboy13

johnboy13

I'd run away as fast as possible.