Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gasser on Maui..... but it's just another '55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2Loose, Nov 19, 2009.

1. 2Loose

2Loose

Had this '55 4dr Chevy rusty old beat up thing given to me last year, it's an original Maui car that has been sitting in a pasture for the last 16 years! I got inspired reading the gasser project thread posted here on the HAMB about Shakey Puddin, so thought I'd make a gasser styled rig out of it, had enough parts laying around to do it. Been working on it for about six months now in my "spare time", still got a lot of work to do on it, but it's coming along. It's certainly not a "nostalgia" job at all, just a fun project putting a lot of spare parts to use. Sort of what I might have done way back when if I had these parts available (aluminum heads, 5 speed tranny, Demon carbs for example). Thought I'd share some pix with you guys:
    [​IMG]
    Did some web pages here with pix and weekly updates for my buddies off island
    Aloha to all,
    "2Loose" Willy
    Maui, Hawaii

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 41hemi

41hemi

I love your car!! Keep us up to date on the progress please.

3. solid

solid

Real cool car. Just drive the poo out of it. I love maui. I got to change the tire on our rental car near the beach there. Most relaxing tire change ever. Cant think of a better place to cruise around in a old hot rod.

4. 2Loose

2Loose

I've been looking for an old style rain gutter clamp surfboard rack to put on it! mo rusty mo bettah....
    But then I'd have to fix the rain gutters....
    Willy

5. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Welcome to the dark side Willy.

We are old buddies.:D

Hood looks familiar. Where you score that? ;)

6. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

eh howzit brah, do you work at a golf course by chance?

7. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Hey 2loose. Welcome to the HAMB.

8. Lucky444

Lucky444

Right on Willy. Looks like you've been smoking on that build lately! Nice work.

9. 2Loose

2Loose

naw naw naw, ol time sugar cane worker, retired now, just jammin on my rods....
    no time for golf, but still hit the waves, slong as not over head high these daze.....
    hood came from another HAMB'er, Steves32, Thanks Steve....
    It's a solid hood....
    The rear wheels I want to use are on a 5-1/2" bolt pattern......
    The Moser axles I have are drilled for 4-3/4" bolt pattern, am measuring to get an exact fit for a 5-1/2" bolt pattern, have the axles and the wheels in my shop, measuring and marking to get it right, don't want no wobbles when this is all done....
    No machine shop around here is set up to do it, so will do it myself, and very carefully !!!!!!!
    (Isn't that how porcupines have sex? Very Carefully?)
    W.

10. bill3337

bill3337

Hey, looks like it's going to be a gas! :) I've seen your truck when I'm in Maui (I spend the month of March there every year for the last 30 some years. I think I've been by your place, if you live up in Pukulani. I met two brothers who live near you (or did at least) one had a 55 Chev and a 34 Ford coupe and the other had a big block Model A coupe. I haven't seen them for a few years though. I look forward to seeing the Chevy on the strip next March......Bill

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool ride! Just got back from Maui yesterday. Did you go to drags? Some time list places/events for car nuts to go to on the Island. Be sure to contact 50merc808 at 808 Speed Shop near Honolulu. I posted some pics from there on my thread yesterday: Hawaii-Rods, Kustoms, Racing. Aloha
    Check out thread: 1955 Chevy Survivor "barnfind" Gasser Project

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  12. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

I like this Thread...:D:cool:

13. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Need more pic's, but looks good from here. I need to go back there soon.

14. Butch M

Butch M

keep the pic's coming that's cool looking 55......

15. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

oh Ok, reason I asked is I used to go over there for work and there was a guy (dont remember his name) that worked for one of the golf courses in the shop repairing all the golf equipment, he had a 55 chevy ..... at first I thought it might have been you! :)

16. 2Loose

2Loose

There's all kinds of pix posted at the link shown below, going from when I first found this car to where I am today, it's on a bunch of diferent web pages, tried to sort it out by what parts I am working on. Almost got the rear end completed with now, brackets fabbed and welded in place, everything painted, putting it back together tonite. Then getting started on the roll cage, the tubing I have is pretty rusty, so gotta wire brush it down to clean metal and primer it before starting to set up the cage, lot of work, but it will be worth it!

Link To Willy's "2Loose" 55 Gasser Homepage
    Maybe I can add that to my sig, will take a look....
    Aloha,
    Willy

17. 2Loose

2Loose

Just testing, to see if that link shows up in my sig....
    Aloha,
    Willy

18. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

I used to live in Lahaina. I think I might have met you at the cruies night over near Denny's. Cool car by the way.

19. 2Loose

2Loose

Yup, probably did meet ya, I used to hang in Lahaina a lot, have become a homebody (shopbody?) lately though, hardly ever head down that way any more, surf and my cars, that's it lately for me....
    Willy
    PS, finally got started on the roll cage for this car....

[​IMG]
    More Pix Here....

20. 2Loose

2Loose

Too many things going on at once, 4 1/2 grandkids, cuz's all ovah da place, man, how can I get anyting done on da gassah....
    Oh yeah, Christmas, NewYears, Family up da gazoooo....
    Love it, but man it puts da hurt on da wrench twistin time....
    did manage to whack off a set of bbc fenderwell headers and find a set of Olds flanges on Jegs, should show up any day now, just gotta move tubes 1&3, and 2&4 back to match up da blown Olds ports, no problem!
    Aloha, and
    Hau'oli Makahiki Hou from Maui
    2Loose Willy
    [​IMG]
    Link here, but will add more later....

21. Cool build, I like the idea of using up parts laying or hanging around, guess you Maui rodders are not too worried about snow huh?:eek::D.

22. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

I'm lovin' it. If that was given to ya, that is amazing. I love the direction you are going w/it.

Shootz,
    Adam

23. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Sir you have an AMAAAZING talent! Keep up the great work!

24. 2Loose

2Loose

Home and family projects got ahold of me, but am back on this project....
    Thought I would add a front sway bar, so I fitted in a ranger pickup rear bar, with a little tweaking I got it to fit in there pretty well....

Yeah, I know, don't say it, they didn't have sway bars on gassers "back when....", but I intend to drive the wheels off this rig, so thought it would be a good idea to add one. Behind the wheels and fenderwell headers no one will ever see it anyway....
    [​IMG]
    Link to more sway bar setup pix....

25. JAWS

JAWS

Looks good to me.

26. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Moving along and lookin good man.

The interior and firewall is exact color as mine, kind on trips me out. Well my body is now primered though...Also mine is a 2 door, 210 sedan. Your progress is ahead of me though. I will catch up soon I hope...

27. 2Loose

2Loose

Well, I've been away from the computer for awhile, but have been busy on the gasser project....
    Got my fenderwell headers welded up, just need to smooth out some of the welds and paint 'em flat white.....
    [​IMG]
    Also been patching and welding the holes on the floor, mostly where the cage tubes go through to the frame....
    [​IMG]

Now I'm going to set up the throttle linkage, the clutch linkage, and the fuel system.

And I've been getting "sidetracked" by my 62 panhead chop job. It's a bike I did back in the late 60's, and put it away almost exactly 20 years ago, time to get it running again. Have it on the stand next to the gasser project, so I am working on both now...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a Link if you guys want a peek at the bike project, am posting over on the Jockey Journal....
    Aloha,
    Willy

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Nice gasser, and even if it is another 55, it's not the run of the mill '55! Nice work on the front axle chop!

29. JAWS

JAWS

Nice work. nice chop too!

30. 2Loose

2Loose