Register now to get rid of these ads!

cable x

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lorolr, Dec 30, 2009.

1. lorolr

lorolr

Anyone used the cable x? It converts the electronic impulse from a transmission to a cable output so you can use the original speedo. Thanks.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Scotch

Scotch

I spoke with Auto Meter about this, and they also sell a similar product.

My research showed that those who had them liked them, and there are no glaring reliability or performance issues.

I need to install one myself, so I've been doing the homework.

Yes- they're kinda pricey. But if it means I can get a functioning, accurate speedo again, I'll drop the dough.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is interesting. I have never heard of this. I need to research this further....

My only concern is that it says it is compatible with most oem sensors. If you have a 78 Chevy TH-350 , could it be converted etc.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And a TON cheaper than converting an old speedo to electric! Been doing tons of research on doing a speedo conversion and it is expensive and frankly, would sort of be a shame to ruin a nice original speedo by ripping the guts out.

I like the idea!

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it's probably a stepper motor attached to a cable, it counts the pulses of the electronic sender and converts it into a precise rotary motion. You should be able to adjust it to be extremely accurate also, or at least to the accuracy limits of the old speedo

7. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

If anyone has some first hand experience with this device, please pass it along. I get asked about this unit from time to time, but I've never had one around to test. I'll probably have to break down and buy one. Had someone that wanted to use a GPS pulse generator to create a speed signal for his original, mechanical speedometer.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've sent several customers that buy the S-10 electric trans for my flathead conversion but have a manual speedo to this company but have no feedback. I'm sure the dollars scare some guys. Once they get your E-mail you get almost weekly up dates from them.

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Jake are Haneline selling your GPS speedo thingy yet ???

10. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

OK, thanks. Going to look into the AM one someone mentioned earlier in this thread too. I'll likely get one, or both, sometime next month, and maybe post our feedback here.

and yes, the gps pulse generator is available.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am running one in a project Lincoln Continental, it is driven by a TCI transmission controller, but it is the same as the stand-alone one. It works well. Use a new speedometer cable, and make sure that you have large radius, smooth bends in it. The motor is only so powerful.

[​IMG]

12. pinky49

pinky49

i've run them on 3 cars, and once you have the calibration set correctly, they work really well. for the money, they're worth it to me not having to reinvent the wheel to drive a mechanical speedo.
    just an opinion, ed

13. sounds like a transducer or possibly a encoder as they both change electrical impulses to mechanical ones. their has to be a said formula that each manufacture has for their mechanical speedometers or they are basic on one single formula. squirrel chime in!