Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone used Eastwood's powdercoating kit?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyford1, Nov 24, 2004.

1. I have been thinking about ordering Eastwood's home powdercoating kit. Has anyone tried this kit? Is it worth it? I already have a oven I got for free, so that parts covered. Give me the pros and cons.

2. I have a friend that has used it,,,worked well on the small parts,,,not so good on a rim and probably his fault ,,,,,he used an old commerical oven.

There is a place that powder coats not 3 miles from his house,,,,he could have saved money! [​IMG]HRP

3. I have used it alot. I have powdercoated most of my front suspension for my Barracuda with it. I haven't tried rims, but if you have them clean and light coats, I don't think it would be a problem. It rocks. I wouldn't want to pay to have someone else have that much fun. [​IMG]

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I've used it a lot for the small stuff on my 52, wife got me an old commercial oven from her work. It works great.

B [​IMG] B

5. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

I have the chicago pnumatic kit that works really well. ( Its a little cheaper than the Eastwood kit) I have used it for alt cases, brackets, etc. My brother has used it on much larger stuff with a lamp with good success.

Like everything else, its all in the prep work.

Steve

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    I use the first generation kit and I love it. The aluminum intale, cast iron thermo. housing and fuel block are done in the cast aluminum. The cast iron carb throttle bases are done in the black wrinkle finish.

For me it's easier than mixing paint and the clean up is easier with less overspray. Another nice feature is the part is ready to bolt on 15 min after it's baked. You don't have to abandon the shop to prevent dirt form getting into the fresh paint.

7. Thanks guys. I'll probably go ahead and get one. Maybe Mrs. Santa will be good to me. [​IMG] Tommy that intake looks great. How has the coating held up on the motor?
    HRP, what was rthe prob. with the rim? That's mainly what I wanted it for was to do wheels.
    One more question. How far does the powder go. How much will the 1/2 bag do. 1 wheel? 4 wheels?

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys. I'll probably go ahead and get one. Maybe Mrs. Santa will be good to me. [​IMG] Tommy that intake looks great. How has the coating held up on the motor?
    HRP, what was rthe prob. with the rim? That's mainly what I wanted it for was to do wheels.
    One more question. How far does the powder go. How much will the 1/2 bag do. 1 wheel? 4 wheels?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still sitting on the shelf waiting it's turn.

My oven will just barely take a 16" rim so I haven't tried one yet. It can be difficult to get big parts into the oven without disturbing the powder. It takes a little planning.

I bought the cans from Eastwood. They seem to go pretty far. I think you can buy it cheaper in bigger quantities.

9. CountryMoney

CountryMoney

10. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

I have the first generation Eastwood kit. It works just like they say. I have coated lots of small parts for my cars plus a couple of bows for an archer friend, some aluminum sheet metal for a panel jam, and a Lakewood blowproof bellhousing. A friend borrowed it and liked it so well he bought a Harbor Freight unit. He says it works just as good.

11. yngrodder

yngrodder

Whats the chrome powder coat look like? does it look like ceramic headers or like that chrome paint? I was thinking about doing my intake in it but I would like to see what it looks like first.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I tried the "almost chrome" from Eastwood. It looked pretty good BUT you have to use clear over it to keep it from oxidizing. The clear kept screwing up even though I did it the same way. It turned brown like it was burning. The Eastwood guy said they had some problems with the clear. I don't know if they got it fixed. It would be great for carb linkage, fuel blocks and other small detail stuff.

13. If anyone has pics of stuff they powder coated at home, let us see 'em.

14. james

james

I guy I work with has another job at a place that builds high dollar marine big blocks for racing and military use, and he makes quite a bit on the side powder coating some kinda special stuff on pistons using the eastwood kit. I've seen some intakes and stuff he did-- very nice quality I just wish my motorcycle frame fit in his oven!

15. fastcat

fastcat

I have the frist gen kit and I have done everyhitng from small parts to the front inner sheetmetal on my cougar to the frame for my packard and other stuff like the dash, suspension, rear end.etc.etc.etc I use a small IR light to cure. It taked a long time and you need patience but it comes out very well and holds up great. I do some of the rearlly big stuff (ie frame) in sections by taping puttiung the powder on a section, pulling the tape and curing it, then tape along the same line on top of the poweder I just cured and spray the next section. Shawn

Attached Files:

16. fastcat

fastcat

frame

Attached Files:

17. yanktankdriver

yanktankdriver
    from kansas

Yeah it's all in the prep, just like doing any other painted parts. Our local guy won't do any coating without sandblasting first, he requires it. That's pride of workmanship.