Register now to get rid of these ads!

Walden Deuce "type" chop cost?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhl1963, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhl1963

jhl1963
    from ny

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I bought a 32 roof panel from Walden a couple of weeks ago and asked the lady if they were selling any of the chopped deuces. She commented they had sold about a 1/2 dozen. I said I had heard they were around 38K and she said no it was more like 45K? Just repeating, kind of shocked me. There are lots of guys who don't blink at that kind of money. Remember an original 3 window body brought 47,500 just a few weeks ago near here and it still needed work. I would say that a good shop would be looking at 3 to 4k to do the chop and maybe I'm low.

3. ts3x65mph

ts3x65mph

45 Large Wow

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Is it $45,000 for the whole setup including chassis and Bones type stance? I feel like this is a bit different then Bones setup. It looks like they keep the 107" wheel base instead of stretching it to 109.5" which I like. Looks like the rails taper to allow for axle travel but that is neither hear nor there. $45,000 is a ton of money but so is $23,000 for a Brookville body. I think the guys that are buying the Walden coupe for that price are not the type to take from the 401k you know what I mean? Probably the guys that feel like $45,000 is more like the $10-15 thousand mark for most people.

Anybody know how the Walden Door skins are? $625 each side is cheaper then original doors.

5. jhl1963

jhl1963
    from ny

Thanks Krylon/TS, wow - so essentially thats a $20k+ chop. ouch. pretty!

6. AG F/C

AG F/C

I do believe $45K is a light roller. I recall him saying the body chopped was $35K. But that was at the Fathers Day this year, may have changed.

In my opinion his B-vill body's are way better that the ones totally built by B-vill. The chop is beautiful.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I can't believe that would include the frame thats under the body in the picture. I'm thinking that's for just the body, anyone know for sure. Better yet somebody call and order one then report back.

Frank

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

35/38K is what I was told at his open house, that's why I was suprised when she said around 45K. His work is flawless and at the price of original bodies that price might not be such a stretch. One other plus for Walden is he finishs the seams where the panels go together, I saw a Brookville delivered recently that still had the seams showing and just skip welded. I didn't go any further with Walden because I'm busy getting my 30 year 3 window project headed to the finish line. I can't imagine that price being a roller but you never know until you ask. Somebody? I think Jake might be doing the chassis. Also the roof inserts and skins I have used from Walden are expensive but the best.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. AG F/C

AG F/C

Start @ 35K for the chopped body and add a complete SoCal frame and front + rear hair pin setup and I got $42.5 sans wheels and tires. I think $45 is real close.

10. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

We get around $3500 to chop a 3-window at my shop.

11. mottsrods

mottsrods

Ya know, i can hand beat, form, whatever.....and screw up a whole lot less than $45K worth of metal and have one too! Best of all, I would have done it myself, and not paid out that much money. Their are alot of guys here on the forum that can do it too! I think they are pricing themselves into a corner and will only be able to sell to those who can truely afford it. The rest of us who have "real" budgets will either build it ourselves, or do without.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I agree totally :)
    Plus most decent original Murray built 32 3W Ford bodies bring $ $ $ NORTH of the 35 grand they get for a chopped body.
    As a overweight old guy, I do not want a chopped coupe ... but I understand a LOT of folks do. :D

13. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Seems like the Kennedy Bros has a Brookville 3 window they'd chopped for So Cal Speed Shop- Sacramento on display at Famoso (Hot Rod Reunion), with a sign on it that said they charge $5000 to chop a 3 window. Given the quality of their work, that sounds very fair.

14. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Was at "Bones" shop a few days before X-mas. 3W Brook all tacked up, looked great. Next up is a mint Henry 34 5W. Rollin boys do nice work !

15. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I'm pretty sure the price they quoted is just for the body. It's not just a Brookville they took and chopped and for an additional $15k. They build the entire body there in their own jig and do the chop as part of the build. The fit and finish is far better than anything you're going to get from Brookville. They also do things like add internal supports to the doors so they don't sag, fill the roof, etc. And all metal work is flawless. Not saying it's cheap, but if you took a Brookville body to a top shop and had them do the chop, fill roof, etc., you'd be looking at comparable money.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I heard the bodies had a chopped top, filled insert, seams leaded in, everything metal finished, steel structures in the doors, and all surfaces inside were primed with rust inhibitor. Even with all that, $45k sounds a little stiff.

17. Bobby doesn't just get a Brookville body and chop it for a customer. They completely assemble their bodies. You're not gonna find a better shop doing chopped Brookville 3w bodies,IMO. Their roof inserts,door skins,etc are all top quality too. Just go to their next Open House and see for yourself.

18. And the alternative is.....

19. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Well, assuming you do start with a stock Brookville body at $23k, if you go to SoCal, Troy, or any of the big name places, the chop is going to run you close to $10k. Filling the roof another $5k or so, and that puts you in the same spot. I've been to his shop and seen the bodies in person, and the work is first rate. If I can't find an original in the next 12 months or so, I'm probably going to buy one.

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

uh...fiberglass? :)

and btw, I'm not knocking Bobby. I had one of his inserts in my coupe.

21. HAHA! I guess if you don't care wether it's steel or not,there's alot of glass bodies out there...already chopped too!
    Steel=$$$$ How did you like their roof insert?

22. If you wanted to copy the way Walden Speed Shop chops a 3-window, as shown in the Street Rodder article. Here's the break down

Cost of ONLY the sheet metal seen in the article for chopping the top (not including shipping charges):

From Brookville's 2010 Catalog:
    Complete Right Side ($3,500), Complete Left Side ($3,500), Cowl Top with Vent ($995), Stock Firewall Band ($115), Smooth Deck Lid ($895), Front Roof Panel ($800), Rear Roof Panel ($1700), Tulip Panel or the above deck lid panel (not listed)

From Walden Speed Shop
    Roof Insert - $400

Grand Total $11,905

and then you still have to purchase: all the interior bracing ($1,400), doors ($6,000), garnish moldings ($1,895) , dash ($595 - $1,150 ), sub rails ($1,500), front floor ($240), rear floor, ($275), below deck lid panel ($595), interior wood ($2,000), an additional $15,000.

That will leave you around $18,000 (45,000 - 27,000 = $18,000) to:
    - Build a jig for the body
    - Fit, weld, metal finish every panel together
    - And for chopping the top.
    At $50 an hour for labor, you'll have 360 hours (9 weeks, working 40 hours a week) to get the everything done.

Some how $45,000 doesn't seem that bad to me.

23. $50 an hour labor? Try about $75 an hour. I don't anybody who chares $50 an hour for labor these days.

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Several years ago I turned down 40K for my 3 window body. Knowing what I know today maybe that was where two fools met!

25. Blame the low estimate on the fact we're isolated up in Spokane. The next city over 75,000 is either 3 hours, East or 6 hours, West, and you have to cross a mountain range to get either one. People expect the shops around here work for cheap. Still at $75 an hour, you'll only have 6 weeks or 240 for all the labor.

26. What's your guys estimate for a complete build? If Bobby's 32 3w is $45k,then after completing the car,would you say $20k,$30k more? Paint,interior,wheels and tires,wireing,glass,Lic and Registration,and i'm sure i'm missing stuff.

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Bobby's inserts are first rate. It had a perfectly matched contour to the top.

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Real world?...add $80,000. Ask me how I know...

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Quote from the Street Rodder article;
    "*The (Doyle Gammel inspired) bodies are built on a custom jig with patterns for every cut, ensuring each body will be the same level of perfection as the first".

I guess I'll go out on a limb and be the first to say that I've got mixed feelings about this. The thing I don't like about this is that down the road, I can see someone seeing a 32 3/w pulling into a show and stating "I can tell from here that's another Walden/Brookville 32". Maybe it's all the "ZZ Top" fiberglass cookie cutter 34 3/w's that "overbred" in the 80's that haunts me, but to me hotrodding is that each car is individual. Sure, some will have filled cowls and hidden hinges to set them apart a bit, but chopping these all the same is much like popping pre chopped, rounded 50 Mercs out of a mold. Just not my cup of tea.

That's not to knock Bobby's terrific skills or products. His workmanship and products top notch, and this would be the way to a hammered 3/w for some folks.

30. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

But at 45k i doubt there will be one on every street corner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.