Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anyone know anything about old Porsches?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Dec 29, 2009.

1. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Wow never relized the interest in Porsche's.
    I have a 1952 Pre A Cp. sitting in the weeds out back, not in real bad shape for a 58 year old car.

2. repoguy

repoguy

Well have fun in your limited, one dimensional world!

3. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I used to own a 1964 Porsche 356B. Of all the cars I've ever owned, this is probably the one I'd most like to have back. The old "bathtub" Porsches were built like a bank vault. They don't have much torque and really aren't that fast, but they are wonderful little cars, amazingly well built and well engineered, and really fun to drive. Rust is a major problem and parts are extremely expensive. Body work is too. This car looks like a real find, if it's not too rusty, or too pricey.

4. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

these old porsches are growing on me ,just finished body work on this 59.let me know if you dont want to buy the one you found

Attached Files:

5. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I think it would look fantastic parked next to my duece. Plus my wife really likes it. You guys have been a world of help. Thank you.

6. theorangecouch

theorangecouch

Man...jump on that. I used to have a 61 super90. They are a lot of fun and worth a-lot of money, especialy the convertables. Verry Disireable. They do make repoduction parts. finding parts can be tricky but if done correctly you will have a gem. Good luck!

7. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

"Mr. Porsche and the Designer of the VW's were brothers"...quoting falconwagon62.
    Nope, they were closer than that, They were the same person. Dr. Porshce designed both. The VW was first. And the engine is, to those who do not know these cars/engines, the same as a VW the same way a Ford V8 is the same as a Chevy V8. Eight cylinders in a V. Water pump in front. Carb on top. And so on.
    This looks like a model called the "Conv D". A cabriolet has a headliner and a few other upgrades. The engine is of no consequence. After fifty years in the Porsche business I offer this.....read and read again the posting above by Stude Trucks. Restoring one is a VERY costly undertaking. And, if not done to concours standards, you will have lost money and ruined a very collectible car. Better to buy it and then sell to a Porsche type. Not a hot rodder or anyone who does not know what it is.

8. James427

James427
    BANNED

Well???? Have you bought it yet? And my opinon of value having sold a few 356's latley is that the highest figure quoted here for "as-is" condition is not high enough. It would not surprise me if that car brought $50,000 on e-bay hosed off as-is. If it has the Carrera engine and is a real Carrera just triple the value. A Carrera Engine alone needing rebuld can fetch $60,000 or more. There are a pair of Carerra carbs on e-bay now for $20,000 JUST FOR TWO CARBS!

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

UH OH, sounds like Porsche folks are just like Corvette and Thunderbird folks.

10. RichG

RichG

...they're worse, far, far worse.

11. 356a

356a
    from CA

It's a roadster not a speedster. Not a convertible d. Not a cabriolet

it is not a carrera ( or it wouldn't say 1600 on the back)

with all the parts there worth a lot more than 15k. Probably redone worth 80 plus k depending on how well done. Mire if really well done

parts easy to get. Engine easy to rebuild. Rust where the battery is maybe on the longitudinals. Body gaps are the key thing to look at. And tough to get a crease out of hood if someone didn't close it right

maybe 40k plus. If it was a complete speedster as is (it's not) 75k. Rebuilt 150k (it's not)

12. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

It's just one step away from a volkswagen right :)