Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects anyone mess with boats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu, Dec 29, 2009.

1. alsancle

alsancle

That is cool.

2. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The best 2 days of owning a boat are, the day you buy it, and the day you sell it!

3. narducci

narducci

Her's one I built and sold last year
    15' crackerbox, all wood, epoxy glass over
    SBC power, no transmission or neutral, turn the key and you are moving
    speed= well over 100 with the right power

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That heavy boat went over 100 with a SBC? Wow. What was the size of the prop? (Diameter and pitch?)

(You mean mph not kph, correct?)

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took an old wooden speed boat for payment from a guy I worked for, needed restoration but was all there. Gorgeous looking boat, made in Oz and looked like a clinker Chris Craft.
    Well it sat beside the garage at my parents when I joined the Army. I came home on leave to discover my father had cut it up with a chainsaw to use the wood for spit roasting a but of beef to celebrate my first leave. Food was good but the boat......UGH.

6. Here's what I know from messing with boats...take any part from a car, and put "Heavy Duty" in front of the name and the price doubles. Put the word "Marine Service" in front and the part triples. Put the word "Aviation Service" in front of it and the price goes sky high. I ain't foolin' with ya' either.

Bring your wallet. :eek:

7. narducci

narducci

That boat is not as heavy as you might think. The race boats go well over 100, Of course thats with 700 hp on alcohol.
    With a mild ( 300 hp )SBC, they will go 70 or better
    300hp prop size 12" x 17 pitch

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  8. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

With a 17 inch pitch prop, you'd be revving the heck out of that motor to see 60. That's a ski prop.

I don't see that hull design going 100 with a jet engine. No offense, just sounds a bit optimistic.

9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This was a 15' Glen L design with a 348 Chevy, I was told it was scary fast @ 70!

Attached Files:

10. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Hulls like that look cool but they have way too much boat in the water to go that fast.

You have to get the hull up and out of the water - the boat needs to be hanging in midair. Then, you can move.

This takes HP but most of all it takes a different type of hull design.

11. Sideplatesix

Sideplatesix

Wooden Speedboats Aussie Style.
    This is a great site.
    Check it out.

Classic Australian Wooden Powerboat Association
    http://www.cawpba.com/

Cheers
    Thommo

12. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I think I'll stick to cars for the time being.

13. Paul B

Paul B

I have a 24'offshore boat with a300 outboard. love it nothing like just chillinn on the water. beats hanging at car shows in the summer. Ive gotten out of boats but they keep pulling me back. plym 49 utube jersey skiffs if you dont beleve that that 15 ' crackerbox wont do 100 mph. Cost $$$ but you only go round once.

14. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

No boat with a 17 inch prop is going 100, that's for sure. Even 70 is pushing it. I run a 28 to touch 104.

15. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

You are wrong. If you have an outboard with a speedmaster style gearcase your ratio is usually around 1 to 1; a normal high performance outboard is usually in the 1:8 to one ratio area. Therefore if your running a 27 pitch prop on a standard lower unit then switch to a speedmaster you will need a 15" prop to turn the same rpm's at the same speed. Most drag inboards actually overdrive the prop.

16. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Before we get all apples and oranges, what's the ratio on that 15' Chevy?

17. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I'm not sure what he is running but most of those skiffs were 1:1. My buddy down here has a black 49 just like yours. It has a 62 409/409hp with a halibrand quick change and a 4 speed borgwarner. The car was built by the former owner of Numedia dragway in 1964. The body and interior are box stock, it is a cool ride.

18. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I figured he was running 1:1. Glass over wood with that hull, you are pushing a lot of weight and dragging it right across the water. I still don't see that boat getting much past 60.

Your friend's ride sounds really nice.

19. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

finding abunch of stuff for sale

Attached Files:

20. I absolutely love those old C-C boats!

My Dad, who was in the Navy (and hated boats!), calls boats "a big hole in the water you pour money into!". Having owned a total of one boat myself, I'll stick with cars...BUT if the right deal ever comes along!

21. hotshoe

hotshoe

here you go, you buy i'll deliver!!

Attached Files:

22. narducci

narducci

Do a little research before you doubt a crackerbox speed. Your sterndrive boat is a v-bottom which pretty much plows through the water. A crackerbox has almost nothing in the water and beleive me, they do go well over 100 MPH!
    I never said mine went 100 with a 17 in prop.
    The theoretical speed with a 17" prop is about 84mph. A direct drive crackerbox is about 80% efficient giving 65+ mph.
    The 700hp alcohol boats also use direct drive and I dont know exactly what prop they use.
    Like the other guy said, check out Jersey speed skiffs, they use a very similar drive train and hull size.
    Put brain in gear before engaging mouth

23. narducci

narducci

24. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Damn I miss my Chapparal. Had a Mercruiser 454. Maintenance on a boat isn't really all that much different from a car. Sure there are some differences but the workings are close to the same.

Attached Files:

25. narducci

narducci

That is a good one, is that a Villain 26? I worked for a Chapparal dealer for a while. Chapparal in my opinion is one of the best qualty boats out there.

26. gasser55

gasser55

I hope to have my 76 Hondo runnerbottom finished in a month or so.........Going out to the shop tomarrow to drop the engine in it.

27. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Well, I stated that that boat would do about 60, and you confirmed it.

Perhaps you should engage more carefully. I never stated that my boat was a v bottom or that it had a stern drive. I only said that I run a 28 inch prop. In fact, my boat is a modified tunnel with an outboard. It is called a Hydrostream; perhaps you have heard of them.

28. SleightsburghMC

SleightsburghMC

I have a 51 Penn Yan Swift 12ft. Also built a Glen-L Hydro. Gotta love the old wood outboards. Always had good luck with Kiekhaefer Mercury outboards.

29. moefuzz

moefuzz

I've been trying to get info on this one, The sound is Unbelievable.
    It's V12 powered.. I Wonder if it's a late Ferrari V12 as it Kinda has that sound.

<object height="525" width="660">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cEGDgzmTxDs&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="525" width="660"></object>

30. Trumped

Trumped

I was just out today.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014