Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51-52 CHEVY car after market gauges!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Im in the market for a set of gauges and i was wondering what you traditionalist have used In you 51 52 chevies??? Obviously, NO DIGI stuff!!:eek::)

HANELINE MAKES SOME PRETTY COOL GAUGES , But i wanna see what's out there that i might have missed!!

I have the stock ones right now and i dont wanna have them restored. Im looking for an off white face to match my dash!!

Thank you and Happy New Year!!!!

2. John Denich

John Denich

This is a pic of mine kinda hard to see...they match my interior perfect and fit great NO CUTTING......

Attached Files:

3. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

What are they John? Did you have to purchase a bezel with them or?? Tell me more!:p

They do look great!

And also where did you get that little extinguisher? I think it's cool and good to have!!

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Rod & Custom this month has a feature on Auto Meter and how you can send them your gauges to be reworked and the faces cleaned up. You can even have them color match them to your car.

5. Classic Insturments - we kind of wish we would have used a black face gauge in here....

Attached Files:

6. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

The problem with that JJ is that i need this done asap for the GNRS.

I SAW THE ARTICLE IT'S COOL STUFF!!!

All you need is the original bezel and they fit perfect??? I like these gauges, but with a different color needle for my car.

7. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

What size are the holes?
    Most of our stuff is 4-3/8, 3-3/8, and 2-1/16"
    We have some that have the same genre as those Beedes. We do carry haneline as well, so if you need those let me know and I can see if Jake has wat you need over there.
    Mark
    something liket this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  8. Nothing fit perfectly due to the slight radius of the dash. This fit very well and yes the stock bezel - a good one of those can be a challenge too. If you were to paint the "body" of the gauge the color of the dash you cannot tell. We dealt directly with CI and had very good luck. This car has an LT1 in it and we had an issue when they set the package up. They correctly it quickly - overall a great group of people.

9. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Right on man!!!I talked to them earlier today and they're very cool!!! The only problem is the fuel gauge issue:mad::( it seems every company has a hard time matching the meter to the mustang gas tank???

10. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I love the gauges, i dont want the digi odometer though. calling you now!!

11. John Denich

John Denich

There is a solution to the Gas Gauge, I used a universal one worked great!

12. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

You mean a universal sending unit from the gas tank to the gauge or opposite?

13. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

14. With two round holes there are a ton of older car clusters you can adapt too - Chevy squarebody pickup, 71-76 Pontiac full size car, certain years of Camaro... and that's if you don't want to fill the holes and cut a new one for something else. The dash shape on those lends itself to using all kinds of things in there.

15. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I wanna keep the holes stock though, i have the stock ones in now with the bezels that usualy adapt to the new gauge to follow the curved dash. cool to know though for future projects.:)

16. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

Here's a couple steps to do it yourself:
    *Modifications to certain aftermarket 5" gauges...
    -remove chrome bezel, glass and inner ring from the gauge

*Using the stock gauge, you remove the trim ring, glass and inner ring, then, place these parts onto the face of the 5" aftermarket gauge and re-crimp. Re-crimping takes a little care, and is what would probably take the most time with this project.

It can be done in a couple hours.

After that, it's a matter of wiring the gauges and sensors. It's also a good idea to test the gauges before taking them apart.

17. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx Jake, the glass in my stock gauges is totally blurry and foggy , not cracked though. I thought i only needed the chrome bezel for these modern gauges. The hole is 4 1/2" BTW.

18. i liked the whiteface speedo and 4 n 1 guage setup i had in my 51, it was from Dolphin gauges... also had an ez-wiring setup in it too. no problems and no digital stuff!!! ran a SUN mini-tach in the center of the dash where the clock was supposed to be....

19. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

For a perfect fit, as Jake says, use the old trim rings or maybe open the holes up a bit and rear mount the gauges through the holes. That would definately be the best value and fit
    Mark

20. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

You should be able to use the glass from the aftermarket gauges, it just won't be the same fit, but close. Most 5" gauges on the market are actually slightly smaller than 5". The housing diameter is something closer to 4 9/16" and the outer diameter of the stock bezels is just under 5".

We've tested this gauge conversion on our 3in1 gauge sets and the Beede 5" speedo/quad sets, and I'm sure it will work with Classic also.

21. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Here's the measurements of the bezel i found laying around in the garage.

Outer section is 4 1/2"

[​IMG]

The inside lip where the glass lays flat against is 4", the glass is 4 3/8"

[​IMG]

Here's what the inside of the bezel looks like, and the glass is 4 3/8"

[​IMG]

22. HanelineJake

HanelineJake

We did an install story in the March 2003 Street Rod Builder (probably not going to find it online). It has pictures and step by step instructions. If you send me your address, I can mail a photocopy to you.

23. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

pm sent

24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

any update on this. Ian, what did you end up doing..

I am in need of either updating the factory stuff with new guts or going with a replacement set up. I see Classic Instrument has a 4 5/8 gage that would be close.. the curve of our dash is what I am not sure how to handle.. or how to mount them from behind if you do not use the factory housing..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  25. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Will be in the same situation in a few months. I too am running a mustang fuel cell in my 52

26. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Hey guys!!! what i ended up doing is a so cal speed shop gauge panel and i have yet to hook up the speedo. there is a place here called north hollywood speedo and they charge 55$ for a cable and labor. pretty cheap, but haven't done it yet!!!!!:eek:

27. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Hi Guys
    We came out with this mounting solution a few months ago, uses the factory eyebrows.
    Mark
    [​IMG]

28. todztoyz

todztoyz

very nice!

29. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

I wish you did mechanical odometer. I would buy a set. I dont like the look of digital odometer.

30. FONZI

FONZI

Mine we took the stock glass and use as template to cut out of stainless. Then took slightly smaller SW gauges and cut holes I. The stainless and used the stock bezels too put it back together. I will try and fi d a pic.