Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pinstripe brush question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Upchuck, Aug 17, 2005.

1. I believe they are sent to the,"Big Nut Pile in the Sky".I was told some time ago by a reliable source that the reason brushes are so expensive is:
    The squirrel hair used(at least the best hair)comes from Siberia.They tried to raise the squirrels in captivity but it didn't work very well.That means they have to be trapped.Then the hair that is used for the stripers comes mainly from the base of the tail.This hair has the right qualities(not too stiff and not too floppy)for striping brushes.The rest of the hair is used for other brush types such as lettering quills and the like.
    When I was out at Mack Brush one time,I was watching the girls assemble brushes.It's really a neat operation and the way it is done negates any trimming of the brush shape.
    First they sort the hair into piles using a palette knife(something like a knife a pharmacist uses for separating pills).The hair comes wrapped in paper about the diameter of a coffee can.Then they pick up the hair(they wear rubber gloves)and make a full twist in the clump of hair which causes the hair to lay out in a knife blade shape.Then they take a dab of glue and apply it to the end and affix it to the handle and set it aside to dry.
    Then the excess hair is cut off the handle end and it is wrapped with thread and epoxied.
    To watch these girls doing this is nothing short of amazing;I had trouble following their movements.
    If any of you ever get to Michigan and in particular the Jonesville area,you really should check out the company.I'm sure either Mike or Chris would be more than happy to give you a tour.Just to see some of the artwork on display is worth the trip.They are located right on US 12 in downtown Jonesville approximately 25 miles west of Michigan International Speedway.

2. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF
    BANNED

Yea, you can. I live in Cincinnati and there is three diff places here to buy one shot. California aint shit.
    As for all you guys Bikering over trimmed or not trimmed... I told you what works for me... How many of you guys are production, everyday stripers, or is it a hobby for some side money. Either way is FINE. I salute you all!!! And incourage you to continue.
    Trimming about a 1/16 or an 1/8 off of a fat 00 sword brush at the base on each side works great FOR ME! Try it... If you dont like it, dont do it.
    The guy was asking about what works for us... And I told him. I dont treat my brushes as "Sacred instruments of the Gods" as some do, I dont soak them in oil and all that shit (Thats fine if you do) I use them a few times and as soon as they loose there bounce or start acting up I throw that fucker over my shoulder and grab another. That brush is equal to a flat head screw driver to me. Use it till its done and move on.
    Now, I'm sure this method will have some of you ol boys so fired up that smokes commin out cher ears, But again... Its what works for me. I stripe a lot of the top rods out there. At Goodguys last year, I had striped 3 of the 5 main contenders for Street rod of the year. I did 2 of the ridler great 8 this year... This method is working FOR ME. I listened to all yer ideas and filed some away to try out... Thank you for them!

To the guy that started this post, Good luck. The best advice out there is KEEP STRIPING!!! Stripe anything that will sit still, over and over and over....

Once again... DILLIGAF

3. Wow, the HAMB is has got to be one of the best places for Stripers to hang out or let it all hang out, bar none.

I striped successfully for 26 years with the green ferruled 00's, recently I switched to 000 blue ferruled Macks in search of a thinner, more tighter design capabilities(AW raised the bar for me)the last 3 years. It seems to "act" a little better for me now as I approach "old fuck" status.

The Mack 20's will definately get ya started in the right direction. Just remember to "practice, parcatice, practice" and respect your elders. :D

Joel

4. Jester

Jester
    from Blevins AR

Hey Pan I'm still waiting on that panel you said you would send me.

5. I have always used the oo Mack with 1-shot and a little turpentine to thin it.

6. artiep

artiep

Some strippers trim their brushes to get rid of the point on the very tip of the hairs. Its pretty common to try to control line thickness.

7. RatRoy

RatRoy

Until you really know what you are doing the only trimming you do should is remove loose hairs in the Mack brushes. ;)

8. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I only trimmed the loose hairs and the very-very tip of the brush.

I just got a Kafka #3 but I haven't tried it yet.

9. Mr.J

Mr.J
    from NJ

10. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

You guys realize this is a 4 year old thread right?

11. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I ;ve been using the green Mack stripers for over 30 years. I also have in my collection , several blue Macks , a few Dominicans, some Scharffs , and just the last few years have been usingthe Kelly Mack line of brushes, which I really like . I will say however that I do trim most all of my striping brushes and sometimes even a lettering Quill. I usually take a fat 1/32" off the tip , and about a 1/16" out of the heel , I don't like those short hairs by the ferrel. All of this is personal preferance and each striper has his own techniques that work for him . I guess it all comes down to trial and error for all of us .

12. Gator

Gator

I noticed that - WTF?

13. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Since you enjoy pointing out revived old threads, you'll be really busy here on the HAMB......there are a bunch.

14. wild willey

wild willey

I too am NEW to this KICK AZZ form of art and I CANNOT stop!!! If there is one thing I can share witcha, it's this........ Don't LIMIT yourself to brushes!! I have Kafka brushes and I have pulled with Macks. What I am trying to say is this VARIETY!! You will not be disappointed!! Paint..... One Shot doez it for me. But..... I have used Rustoleium and it rolled nice.... took longer to dry though..... B)> But the end result was NOT disappointing. WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION!!!!

15. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I know this is an old thread, but I searched and even asked this question over on the Garage Journal because it is about Tools-of-the-pinstriping-trade. so, here is the question;
    What are the tools you strippers use to assist with the striping you do.
    I recently unearthed my tool box of striping stuff in an attempt to see if I have any skills in this area. My initial attempts look better than what I remember as a young man, but I feel I could benefit from some better layout skills.

So;
    Tool box style?
    Do you make patterns first?
    What kind of paper do you make your patterns on?
    Frisket paper?
    Pounce wheel? Where do you get them? What surface do you wheel on?
    Pounce chalk holder?
    Steady stick?
    Dixie cups work OK? Unwaxed of course.
    Can I keep the low odor turpentine in plastic squeeze bottles safely? I use plastic squeeze dish soap bottles for lacquer thinner. I keep my paint stuff in metal cabinets.
    I see lots of stripers using a coil spring to separate their brushes. Where do you come up with a good version of spring (one that will stay stretched out).
    Recommend your favorite masking tape, widths and where you buy it.
    Wipe down procedure. Is wax and grease remover good enough?

My main striping goal. Pulling a long straight and even stripe. Your suggestions please. Photos of your gear would be nice. There are plenty of discussions about which brush to use. I am curious about all the other stuff you use.
    Thanks.