Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Leather or vinyl in the '61 Cadillac convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sauces62, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Leather and vinyl fabric are BOTH dyed. Both CAN be painted, but initially, they are both DYED.

2. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Hahaha, that's good because I tend to forget what I've said day to day.:D It was a brand new Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer with tan leather seats. When it peeled up, it at first bubbled, then split and flaked off like a blister. I was SO mad, I took it back in and they told me SO SORRY! Underneath that funny Ford tan, was another tan color........but it wasn't shiny like the rest of the seats.

It hurt my feelings, I sold it soon after and never looked back........altho I do enjoy the seats in Ragdoll's GMC, especially since leather seats tend to have butt warmers.

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

My vinyl trim is not dyed. It is printed. Python skin. As original....:)
    Also, I should add that it took me about six months of searching to find python patterned vinyl! Now it's available everywhere!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

TotallyCustom, I don't mean for this to get into a rant against vinyl, but I live in upstate NY and we really don't get a lot of days which are very hot compared to Southern Cal or any other sunny state. I can tell you that I have a '63 Dodge convert with stock replacement vinyl bucket seats and they HAVE burned my legs when I have jumped in the car and sat down without first throwing a towel on the seat bottom. Look around at any car show for any convert that has vinyl seats and quite frequently you will see that the seats are folded forward. I don't think that is to keep the sun from fading the vinyl!

However, as I said in my original post, it is only my 2 cents worth.

Incidentally, TotallyCustom your Muntz is spectacular. I love it...

5. DeVille Gal

DeVille Gal

It's a Caddy and deserves real leather :):)

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

First off, thank you for the nice compliment. Second, please know that I'm not trying to hijack this thread, or steer away from the original question. OK, that being said....All we can do is voice our own opinions and relate our own experiences to others, so they can take our input and (hopefully) make an educated decision. Brandy has had less than good results with leather. I've never had any problem with my Naugahyde, or being burned from the heat. These are simply our own opinions, for whatever it's worth...:)

7. Bernardarama

Bernardarama

Leather is always a great look and feeling, but remember leather also takes a lot of work to keep that great look and feel! I'd probly go with a nice piece of vinyl, or ive even seen some really cool sparklie marine vinyl, it looks super cool. I also have to say im cheap, broke, and i can't lie kinda lazy. I would want to drive my car all the time, and even more so with that top down, the sun would not be my friend and my leather would need lots of love. Honestly either way will look great!