Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A roadster is a roller *updated 12/10/09*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Ok, tonight I yanked the tranny and cleaned/painted it. As per JefferyJames' comment I can now verify with this painted tranny that this will be no ordinary rat rod. I also switched the front wishbone from a 32 to a 33/34. The 32 was just a little too long...wanted to but against the crossmember. I will now make a bracket that mounts the cup/ball. Will probably be a flat plate that the cup can bolt to, with a bracket on each side going to the crossmember. Axle/wishbone is mocked up now at 7 degrees...probably about were I want it, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Lookin' good Chris!! It could even pass for brand new really. Now you can get started on that tractor grille with spider web insert you were talking to me about. That should really set off the theme you're after.

3. Yeah dude, I don't want to ruin your surprise for everyone, but once your done making your 35 a highboy with wild headers, IFS because you could never get your perch pin shit figured out and an F-1 pickup grill thats been narrowed I wanna park next to you at the shows. Everyone will be amazed at our rodz...mainly yours because of all the skulls all over it and the words "BABY MAKER" across the trunk.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hittin' Switches and Impregnating Bitches is what I am going to put in front of all the skulls. You also forgot to mention that I put the body on a s-10 chassis and I am going to run 20" dodge spare wheels (painted red of coarse) with white wall low pros on it. We are going to rule Billet Proof NW next year!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I really never did get that perch bolt situation figured out.....and that makes me sad.

You just keep going on the roadster and never mind my '35. I'll be at the Roundup with the car and I will have to drive you ass around in the rumble seat because you don't want to bring yours to Austin. Hahahaha!!

6. i loved it with the banger in it and its looking even better now i'll be using this as a guide when i start slowly peicing my roadster together in the new year keep up the good work

Harley

7. I still have those two for you- DUH!

You just want me around at the Round Up so I gotta push your ass when that rolling impregnation station breaks down. I guess thats still better then leaving your car at home.....:D

8. very cool project!!my 1928 coupster is something like your project,,1952 flatty,1950 3speed trans.,1948 banjo(my is with open drive kit),flathead,trans ,crossmember ,pedal assembly,steering box and front brakes are from a f1 truck....i have 1934 grill shell,,compliments for your car man!

9. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

Chris, your Roadster is timeless,Cool. I would like to see some details on the install of the rear drums. and all the brake Plumming. Thanks again. You have inspired me to make some good progress on my A MoorDoor.

10. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Chris,

Looks great man.. I am really appreciating your series of pictures and updates and am taking notes!

Would it be possible to take a side shot from down low to show where the F-1 cross member hangs below the frame? i am curious as to how you are going to finish off this oveerhang or if you are even going to worry about it... would enjoy to hear your thoughts... thanks again for the updates!

11. Ok, worked on the wishbone mount tonight. I had a brainstorm and figured it should work. I had a couple loose 33/34 center tranny mount/wishbone locator things, so cut the bottom off of one around the wishbone cup. It has a slight dip down in it, so I cleaned it up and hammered it flat as it needs to come off the center crossmember pretty much strait. Then cut some angled supports that will go on each side. This whole thing will be cleaned up better and finally welded on. Not the craftiest thing in the world, but should work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. It hangs down a ways. I'm going to extend the side to keep tappering twards the outside of the frame. It should look pretty decent once done. I'll pot pics once I get that far.

13. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, The roadster is looking great ! I need to do something similar on my Modified. Except I am using two "A" wishbones and will have too create two pieces like you made. I am using an "A" front wishbone to locate the rear axle. Just an idea right now.

41 Dave

14. retro54

retro54
    from PA

sounds godo chris, thanks! Keep up the good work!

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thinking outside the box my man!

16. I didn't get much done today, had a lot of running around to do. One thing was to pick up my shifter from the plater. This popped my plating cherry...I have never had a thing plated in my life!! My buddy Russ helped me polish the stick, cup and inner cup at home to help save a ton of money. Plater just dipped and buffed it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. lorodz

lorodz

looks awsome ..must be nice to have a plate co .near you

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

The tides are turning Chris. I mean you and Chrome????? You may as well hand over that roadster and start building a 60's show rod my friend. You are losing your edge!!!

Just kidding, my '35 is slated to have an all black interior with only a shifter and steering column plated. This update makes me excited.

Are you just spray bombing the tranny and such or are you mixing up the paint and epoxy primer and shooting?

19. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

New dash?
    Painted gearbox?
    Plated shifter?
    Me thinks someone got a gold chain for Christmas! :D
    I'd keep quiet about your buddy 'polishing your stick'.People might get the wrong idea.LOL!:eek::eek:(surprised J.J. didn't nail you for that one!)
    Great work Chris,
    Have a good New Year,
    Mark.

20. Ted H

Ted H

"This popped my plating cherry...."

Uh Oh, this could start an avalanche. Did it come back from the plater with a couple links of gold chain?
    Ted

21. hershambob

hershambob

22. OK, got the wishbone mount all cut, ground and tacked in. I set the axle at 6 degrees laid back...sound about right? Still needs some grinding to get all angles right, then weld it up!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

CHRIS...ahh a cady. flathead and lasal trany. man that old boy will tote the mail. O my goodnes where did you find that badass intake. that was the tunnel ram in the day! HA! and i'am not kidding. YOU SIR have the MOST traditional hotrod on H.A.M.B. i'am realy looking forward to your build.i shal call you MR. TRADITION from this day on. let's see somebody TOP this old huppy...POP.

24. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Looking great, Chris! As you know, I have a similar build here in Sweden.
    Your build is a true inspiration and also good tech. I will have a T-spring in
    the rear and try to use the stock Houdaille-dampers. Also on a -39 banjo
    end with hydraulic brakes. Man, why is it so hard to find model A rear spring
    hangers with ROUND holes, ha ha... I have three sets, all oval... :D

Love your roadster and your great updates!
    Keep up the good work!

J.B.

25. I'm so proud of you Chris! Seeing you with a chrome plated part is like seeing a father take his son to into the titty bar for the first time. It's the greatest thing in the world!

Although, I do want to warn you, chrome plating is worse then trying to kick a coke habit, if around Russ or John for long periods of time. It seems like only yesterday, I was at Russ' shop and he told me "Don't worry about it, Billy. I'll just throw your shock spacers in with the rest of the parts I'm taking down to the plater."
    Four years, a couple grand, one still unfinished roadster, and a chrome plated driveline (that's was never test fit in my car) later. And I get all exciting at the thought of getting anything wrapped in newspaper and masking tape. Fuck, I'm pretty sure starting on a coke habit would have been cheaper...then getting addicted to Chrome Plating.

Welcome to the Dark Side, wait, I mean Shiny Side,:D of Thee Inland Emperors.

26. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

I'm likin this build!

27. Thanks....but you know it's a Ford mill and a 39 box, right? And I would not say most traditional, lots of guys on here "get it"

28. Finding any Model A part thats not worn out is scarce!! If needed you could bush em...just get a buishing thick enough that you don't have to use the spring hanger bushings.

29. lorodz

lorodz

hey chris what year is the motor and trans

30. Yes Billy, this I realized :D I was looking around the shop thinking "I could plate that, and that, oh and maybe that..."
    I do have a couple small parts that I wanna plate on this thing, but nothing too fancy. I want this car pretty low-key looking.