Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build question (welding)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by ScottV, Dec 27, 2009.

1. ScottV

ScottV

Do you guys think that a flux core wire welder is sufficient enough to do frame and cage welding/fab ???

The reason that I ask is because I was just offered on free ???

Thanks Guys, ScottV

2. Algon

Algon

For free take it if you have nothing else. I bought my first stick from JC Whitney and learned the hard way with that...

Flux core welding is generally porus and more brittle. I would not suggest building much on a car this way. However many general repair welders use flux core to beat the wind and hassle of dragging a bottle around for structural repairs. Assuming you have a large enough machine to weld 1/8-1/4 steel you could make your own cheap gas line should the machine not have an internal regulator to use Argon-Co2 mix to get better welds.

3. ThingyM

ThingyM

Use MIG welding only for your car..I've built them with arc before MIG was brought out. but are brittle around the welds.. NHRA requires MIG..

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. My experiance with flux core resulted in dirty brittle welds.

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

No, I wouldn't do frame with a flux core. But I'd take the freebie and add the coins to gas it up. After all, the first part was free. Good or bad welds are more a function of the handler than the machinery, even a 120 can do frame work if it's handled well.

Thingy's right about NHRA though, mild steel gets mig or tig for them.
    Stick work doesn't have to be brittle but does take patience to do well and they've seen too much rushed work in stick.

6. ScottV

ScottV

So I guess this is WAAAAYYYYYYYY out of the question ???!!!???

[​IMG]

7. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

A alterative plan might be for you to do the fit up and tack it in place then have a certified welder finish it.the small brackets you could do with the flux.

8. esfoder

esfoder
    from Oregon

I have a flux core wire feed welder for using out side on conveyors and such. It's small enough to be carried by hand. I don't know if the welds are anyless brittle than anything else if it's done right. One thing I know for sure is that Man has screwed up many more welds than the machine thats uesd. I mean ya cant expect a car to go forward if it's put in reverse?

Dusty

P.S. I would hook it up for gas if you have a shop to use it in. Migs don't like the wind

9. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

No that's not out of the question, it'll work fine for frame work (as long as we're not sharing the track), with a chemical bond like that, you know EXACTLY how good the weld is.

Oh yeah...NEVER turn down a free welder! But as already stated, you'll need gas to correctly/safely weld a frame.

10. ThingyM

ThingyM

Scott, Look a it this way.. You can use the best materials in the world, But if it isn't welded properly. Why waste your money..Think of the guy who will be pushing the pedals on the car..You can tack your pieces together, But get a good qualified welder to "WELD" it together.. Accept the free welder, and start practicing...

11. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

:confused: :eek: :D

12. solo13

solo13
    from Holden,MO

Take it!!! Flux-core is not brittle and poris if done rite...You can use gas or with-out gas...It's not really good for body work cuz it burns much hotter and unless it's 210v then I wouldn't weld on anything more than 1/4". You can weld watever you want with aslong as it's a good, quality weld. Practice, practice some more...You can run some stringers on it should be ok...Body work mig is best,period. stick is better for heavy gauge metal.

13. ScottV

ScottV

But it has WELD right in the name !!!???!!!

14. tim stein

tim stein

take the welder for free some shops will take it in on trade towards a bigger better gas mig i traded mine in i got two hundred dollars off a new one good luck