Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I never heard that about Ray Allen's chevelle. I read it was built as a race car from new, raced for one season, went undefeated than retired., I never heard of the dressing up as a '71, what power plant did it supposedly have...just curious. So should the owner...he paid what a million or a million and a half for it.

2. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

This then 13-year-old was there too, on the spectator side of the track, on Saturday of the event--at his very first drag race!--wishing he could be on the other (pit) side! :( However, the absolutely absurd "No one under 18 allowed in the pits" ruling (thanks to the N.J. State Police who oversee auto racing activities in N.J.) was still in effect.

Even still, to this very day, it was an unforgetable thrill.

Pete

3. DanW

DanW
    from Meriden

The original Dogcatcher, with the 409 has been restored by my Dad, Ray Whitney here in Conecticut, , he put half a dozen shakedown runs on it last year at Island Dragway and Louden here in New England.

4. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Bob, The T-K Chevelle (first) went to Claude Urevig ... see his1971, former Ed Franks, Junior Stocker here ... [​IMG]

... and yes, that's the roof showing of the (gorgeous)
    Mc Master & Gunning (4-dr H/t) 57 Chev pitted next to it. Watta incredible 'day at the races' that was @ E-Town, in the spring of 1971!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

We all thank you for the image 'resize' Pete.
    Now we can see the (yess!) daylight under the left front tire of "Rated X"!

6. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

"sometime in april 1971 we went to a race at raceway park in englishtown nj that weekend the track removed the concrete starting line and replaced it with blacktop."

I beg to differ. I was a regular at Raceway Park (the 2nd car to ever go down the track) and, until 1975 when I quit, Raceway Park never had concrete. I was also at that WCS meet.

Skip Asay

7. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

It was sold to Claude Urvig (sp? and Bernie Agamans friend) and ran as a 1971 model to take advaantage of the lower HP rating the low compression 454 had at that time and it was painted white. I believe Claude was also part owner in Truppi/Kling at that time.

8. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Merry Christmas Skip......I finially found the 1974 Div. 1 picture that I mentioned earlier. Damn....we look YOUNG.
    Terry

9. 442Mike

442Mike

Don't forget Tweed Vorhees! Yes I know, he wasn't a Chevy racer. ;)

10. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson

I don not remember if i was at the wcs meet at englishtown or not in 1971 i more than likley was there for the points to go to the summer nationals. The day i am talking about was most likley after the wcs meet. I was told by someone that the the starting line was replaced all i can tell you that the traction was terrible. Robert

11. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

A little more the Ray Allen car---Chrysler built a VERY illegal Hemi Superbird to knock down the Chevelle but the showdown never took place. The Superbird had a massive Stoker Hemi, hidden weight, and a slightly altered wheelbase. Jack Werst got the car(originally Petty Enterprises was to receive it) and when the time came red-lighted on purpose and had to run and hide the car to avoid tech tear-down. Eventually, Chrysler yanked the motor and the car was sold to a team in MD and sponsored by a local dealership. The car was found and purchased by a friend of mine after LONG-TERM storage. I spoke with Jack Werst at the York Reunion and he veriied everything I knew to be the truth and was surprised that the car was still around. It is now in a collection in MD. When the Ray Allen car was on the block at Barrett-Jackson the press did mention the Superbird, but at that time they did not know the whereabouts of the car. TRUE STORY!!!!! Until next time....Dave

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  12. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

"I finially found the 1974 Div. 1 picture that I mentioned earlier. Damn....we look YOUNG."

Now get that puppy scanned and post it or send it to me. I was never very much of a photographer so any and all pics from that time period are more than welcome!

Skip Asay

13. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

OK Skip......My friend said she will scann it for me tomorrow and send it to me in an email. Send me your email address and I will send it on to you as soon as I get it. You can post it on this site if you want to but my computer skills are not good enough to do it myself. My email address is [email protected] Hope you had a nice Christmas. Take care and talk to you soon.
    Terry Bell

14. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

1965 National Trail Raceway...B/S '64 Galaxie 500 sedan 427-425

[​IMG]

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

We all thank you for the image 'resize' Pete.
    Now we can see the (yess!) daylight under the left front tire of "Rated X"! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

You're welcome, Steve. Yeah, "daylight"...I was going to mention that.

I remember when Raceway Park's strip got the concrete starting line installed 'cause I was at the track one Sunday afternoon and the announcer made mention of it. I just don't remember the exact date! I'll take a guess and say it was circa 1977.

Pete

16. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I remember seeing the car run locally at Raceway Park when Urevig owned it. It was still the original blue sans Brigges Chevrolet lettering. Maybe it was repainted the original color...I dunno. I did see a photo of same car in Car Craft magazine (1974 Indy Nationals coverage) when it was repainted white but it was still a 1970 model. First I've heard it was later transformed into 1971 model with updated nose.

Pete

17. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Just found this pic in my collection:

[​IMG]

Pete

18. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

1965 Bluegrass Dragstrip Lexington KY

AA/S Hi-Riser 427 '64 Galaxies.....Dallas Kelly vs John Ulrey
    [​IMG]

B/S class run.....'63 406 Galaxie vs '65 GTO
    [​IMG]

19. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Pulled from another site...
    Sox1962ThunderinCarolinaBA2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  20. ScottV

ScottV

I just did a Google map search of the address and went to Street View to check it out. The building is still there. It appears to be a used car dealer or a detail shop ???

21. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Thanks for posting that. I"d love to learn more about the aluminum nosed Impala he was involved with.:);)

22. ScottV

ScottV

Me too, my first car was a 1962 Impala wagon.

Hey Wguy where in Central NJ are you, I was born and raised in Hamilton.

23. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Me too......I never knew he ran one. I always thought it was just the Belaire.

24. brandon

brandon

the dallas kelly car is being restored now. it was later called "high and mighty" ...has something like 1200 miles on the odemeter. and up till a couple years ago , it still had most of the original paint still on it.

25. 65deluxe

65deluxe

You referring to his 63 Impala Verne?

26. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

No, not the Z-11. It was mentioned a page ago that he had something to do with one of the B/FX '62 alum. nose Impalas. (same as Ol' Reliable III). I just mentioned my interest; I don't want the thread to stray from the "stock' theme. If anyone has any info, just PM me. Thanks;)

27. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

See if this helps! There were 4 Strickler,Proffit, Zintmaster[Dave Mason] Ronnie,s factory produced Not parts! I

think Farmer made them replace the Alum
    with steel to run SS I dont think any ran in FX at the 1962 US nationals!!

old-old timer

28. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I have a picture of Strickler and Nicholson someplace running the class final in B/FX at the 1962 Nationals in alum front end Impalas. stricklers was white and Dyno's was yellow. THey ran slower than Proffit ran in SS/S to win the 62 Nationals.

29. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Your right X-TECH, that would be at the Nationals. Nicholson beat Strickler in B/FX, 12.93 to a 12.97. At the same event they won class (SS/S) with the Bel Air beating Proffitts 12.83with a slower 12.97. The Bel Air did set low et at the 62 Winternats with a 12.55.
    I don't know about the other cars but I can't find any info anywhere of Stricklers Impala running SS/S.
    Sorry to veer off topic.

30. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

As far as I know Stricklers Impala never ran SS/S. After Indy he and the Grump took the alum. front end off and pulled the 409 then put it on the used car lot with a small block (283 or 327) at Ammon R. Smith and sold it as a used car. It has never been found.