Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Save the Oklahoma City Fairgrounds Track!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brian26, Dec 21, 2009.

1. 296ardun

296ardun

Done!, and thanks for your efforts, we lost Ascot and many other SoCal tracks years ago, somehow this history has to be preserved.

2. So, when the hell did this come up??? Haven't heard shit about this! NOW what???

3. WTF!!!!!!!! I was born in Okc, Yes Im only 21y,o BUT when I was a kid I woud lay in bed at nite and lisin to the cars! I was only 2 miles away.

One time my MOM and I drove under the rope to the back side of the track in turn 1! Well we was siting there in the car and nex thing ya know there is a car flying in the air and tire flysright over the top of are car! lol We stayed tell the cops ran us off I was like 6 or 7 at the time.

4. Your a Joke!:rolleyes:

5. Ken Bonnema

Ken Bonnema

Signed it Brian, # 433. Good Luck!!

6. Abomb

Abomb

7. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I forwarded it to the President of the NSRA.....personal friend who knows LOTS of people.

Good luck, we have to make a stand SOMEWHERE, so to Hell with the naysayers.

8. Thanks guys,

these grand old style tracks are dying left and right. Ascot was a terrible loss, Manzanita, and so many others. Legendary tracks that I will never get to see at all. But now, they are coming for us and we're just not interested in lying down easily.

9. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Signed and commented on. Our local 3/8 track is at the fairgrounds, drove my first race there in 1968. Lots of OKC drivers made the trip to Enid to race and lots of Enid folks made the trip north to OKC to watch there as well. Hope the petition gets some attention.

10. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

11. Having been a racer for half my life I can relate to how a jerkoff promoter can cause a track to loose money and loose drivers BUT promoters come and go. Once the track is gone it's a Walmart store or some other such shit and it's gone forever. You're more worried about saving the local dragstrip ? Here's a thought. Start a petition to save it like guys have done concerning this track and then sign them BOTH. DO something besides sit there and whine about it. #528

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  12. not to mention where is a guy supposed to go to see redneck girls get drunk and flash everyone?? that would be a real loss;)

13. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Then you probably have never caught a guy on the back chute, stuck your nose under him as he drifted high into three, pulled along side coming out of four and took the lead going into turn one, while fighting the wheel to keep from eating the wall.

Don't do it anymore, but it sure is fun.

GV

14. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Viva la FGS!

Attached Files:

15. 4speedman

4speedman

huge fan, spent lots of time there as a kid, my grown up passion is straight line but a supporter of all motorsports...signed and will have more support coming.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I heard the mayor say he knew there was a need for the track, but just doesn't see how it can be saved.

17. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

The mayor said the next day that after there was no money that they had 4 million to do upgrades for the Cox centers "newest" yet to go bankrupt minor league hockey team to come to the city.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

19. retromotors

retromotors

I was #661 - so bump to the top!

20. jmh

jmh

Signed and have my support!! Why do they always want to elimanate history!! Johm

21. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

NO, NO, not that track! You can never replace those fairgrounds tracks. I always used to stay over the extra day while at Tinker on business to watch the Fri nite show. 15 yrs ago the stands were packed full of familys. Fast program and the Worlds best corn dogs. We lost two dirt tracks up here one 1/2 Mi and one 5/8 Mi. I feel for you.

22. Yeah the thing is these old tracks like this are getting fewer every year. We have been watching what happened to Ascot, Manzanita and so forth. It's always been like dodging the bullets of a crazy neighbor, yet you know that someday you could get hit. Now, that day is here.

We wish to fight back, push back and even if we lose, well what the hell did we have to lose anyway?

The empty talk about a "multi-purpose" facility outside of town ONLY comes up, after there is heat from the racing community here. Yet, you can tell the mayor is out of touch with the current trends of the racing community in OkC. We are not asphalt people, have not been asphalt people, nor wish to asphalt people. The shady ways they have done things this time have really put a sting in our craw.

Bottom line, they conned us, lied to us, I mean really lied, and then changed the locks on the speedway grounds.

As for the promoter, well he is a promoter yes-typical? yes. But, he was more on the up and up than they wish to prove. The ball came down the very next day after a meeting came up about a possible strike. THEN, the promoter finally lets everyone know about some of the shit he has been going through. The other side expected everyone to blame the promoter, but they were too obvious in their art of play. Con job, plain and simple. We are fighting the example it represents.

Killing old tracks like this, it's like fire that spreads. It has to be contained at some point.

23. I was talking to my dad today about this track. My dad was born in 1939 at Shawnee Oklahoma. He was telling me that he woud go to the track with his two brothers when he was 6 Years old all the way tell he was 13!

I just found out today! So now this track really has a spot in my hart!

24. I've been in Arkansas for 6 years now! But my mom and I went to every Blazers game there was! I was the lil Star that woud skate on the ice and walk aroud. THAT WAS FUN ya can be a fool and no one can see my face LOL+ get payed for it. I think that (&*&^&*% Ford Center really hurt the Team!

25. flathead okie

flathead okie

#832 ............and I don't go to races. Don't watch em on tv either, but don't want to loose the sport to Walmart target or other crap. The fairgrounds have enough entrances anyway.

26. ponchoman

ponchoman

Added my name to the petition. It seems that the powers that be in OKC, and in the state in general, have no use for motorsports, regardless of the money we can bring into the community. My friends and I have a saying. "If it doesn't have horseshit or pigskin connected, the hierarchy could care less". We lost the NSRA Nationals, a couple of drag strips (3 to be exact), and now, one of the best roundy-round dirt tracks around, due to the city fathers hatred for hot rods.
    Poncho

27. The OKC City Council, the Mayor's Office, and the County Commissioners, not to mention the Fair Board, hate auto racing and auto events of any kind. They even make it difficult for the classic auto auctions that have their sales there! The Fair Board is populated by the likes of former Mayor Humphries (who owns the land the new park-for-bums is going to be, aka the closed Downtown Airpark), the Gaylords (of the Daily Oklahoman/OPUBCO) and others (the horse people) that have a finacially vested interest in all of this. This is being done to eliminate what they believe, in their elitist snobbery, of the "eyesore" that is the FGS. They want to get rid of the affordable entertainment that is racing at the Fairgrounds. They'd rather see the Fairgrounds as a purely horse-oriented venue, period. This is wrong-minded! Remeber, folks, this is the Oklahoma STATE Fairgrounds!!! This is NOT purely an OKC issue! If you love, or even remotely care about, racing in this area, sign the petition! What these people are doing, in effect, is the very same thing as demolishing a neighborhood in the name of "progress", then bulldozing it and selling it to a private firm for development.

Destroying the Fairgrounds Speedway is wrong on every single level imaginable!

Save the FGS!
    And, when the next OKC City election comes around, vote out the mayor plus the Councilmember running for re-election! And keep voting them out until the Council's seven Wards are replaced with people that are FOR the people of this City, not in the pockets of the elitists!

28. sonahud

sonahud
    from norman ok

I live in Norman and I try to make the motorcycle circuit when it comes through every July. The Fairgrounds raceway is perfectly functional for everyone except the big money guys trying to turn OKC into a Dallas or a Las vegas. Their thinking is that without racing at the fairgrounds the road will be open for a (tax-payer funded) private track to rival the one north of Fort Worth. Such an effort will turn out to be a turkey just like our failed horse track and "Bricktown" renewal.

Okc ain't broke so why don't they quit trying to fix it.

29. sonahud

sonahud
    from norman ok

PS Yeah lets not forget the Blazers, who mysteriously disappeared recently. Funny... I hadn't heard they were losing money, but I do know that before we got a pro basketball team there was a refremdum to change leagues in hopes of landing an NHL franchise. The people of OKC voted to keep their Blazers. The big-money people moaned about how we would never stop being a backwater yada yada..