Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

A few quick bits on the Faw Ranger, that I hope are correct.

It was running about '65 and was at the Minnesota State Fair, but had engine oiling problems and did not qualify.

It went to California with Marv at some point and was repowered with a (Chev?) V8 and the frame shortened and nose changed at that time.

3-5 years ago supposedly it was listed for sale in Vintage Oval Racing and at that time had a Flat head Ford V8 in it, how unlikely does that seem?

It is thought that someone had been running it in vintage meets in California.

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Ask and ye shall recieve...... eventually. This was just posted in the 'Pictures from days gone by' thread.

Attached Files:

• a353.jpg
      a353.jpg
      File size:
      90.8 KB
      Views:
  3. [​IMG]

This just showed up on the main board, so I stole it !
    I'm all out of my own pics,But I'm still in the cheap seats watchin'.
    You guys sure are puttin on a GOOD show!

4. Josh, per Gordon White, KK 2000, #328a (?). Built for Bill Schoof.
    1951 thru 1954, Lee Elkins McNamara #73.
    mlight9.

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sorry Mliht9... I'm not sure on your answer... Your saying the #73 McNamara Lee Elkins car is number #328a built for Bill Schoof?

Sorry, I just wanna be sure.

Thanks, JD

6. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

According to Gordon White, the Bill Schoof/Lee Elkins Kurtis didn't have a chassis number. As a speculation, it may actually have been #329, which White assigns to a second Gil Pearson chassis, but I don't know if that was actually built. Kurtis may have assigned the number to the Pearson project, but then changed it to the Schoof car when funds ran dry after building #325 for Pearson. Alas, I don't know if it really happened that way.

7. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

I, thought Shoof made his cars, back in the 1940s , I, seen him crash when his steering wheel came off. I, think he quit driving after that.I, was there with my dad, long time ago!! :rolleyes:

8. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

more pictures of my new toy

Attached Files:

9. Buildy

Buildy

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. Mitch G

Mitch G

Had to take a whack at Josh's offer to color one of his wonderful drawings.
    Here's a phantom car, I'm not a real artist but grabbed some cheap colored pencil's and pens and had at it, hope it's o.k.[​IMG]

11. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Hint,what is white and orange,had the number five and was sponserd by Autolite. This car raced from 1961 till 1984.

12. metal bender

metal bender
    from texas

can you do lettering on a car , may need you to do my box ???

13. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Ah yes, the Hopkins Meskowski! I forgot that one because it's a Kuzma in the Harms database, but the tubing in the engine bay identifies it as a Meskowski.

I was now thinking of the Gerhardt #45, and where it went. Still haven't got a clue! :(

14. baldtireman

baldtireman

15. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Mitch, didn't I see somewhere where your Father did some art work for a speedway program cover? Maybe it is just in the genes - Dan and Josh Shaw, Mitch and ???

Blacki-Suede

16. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

#19 Clyde Gutzwiller's Cincinnati based USAC sprint car ???? Maybe Stan Bowman behind the wheel??? Bowman lost his life at Terra Haute in '62 in Clyde's #19 car.

Blacki-Suede

17. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

All I can say is WOW!!! Nice work.

Blacki-Suede

18. Mitch G

Mitch G

Metal Bender, I have only done very basic lettering on a few cars, and helmets, I only wish I could letter like Josh, his dad and other really amazing painters. Blacki, on the autoracingmemories site they did a great bio on my dad, John Guttormson, he did many program covers and advertising illustrations for many tracks and racing clubs, he was a illustrator at Martin in the late 50's to early 70's. Here's one he did when, as kids we used to bug him, "Hey dad draw a picture the time you flipped your coupe at Lakeside Speedway", so he did this one back in the mid 70's. He actually raced a green and white striped coupe, in the mid 1950's!

Attached Files:

19. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Buildy,
    I think the 24 car is Earl Steffens Hilly, probably with Hank Rogers on board.
    Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday!

20. Buildy

Buildy

So It is Probably Stan Bowman #19 and Hank Rogers #24.

Thanks Wynn`s and Blackie-Suede.

Happy Holidays to my friends here at the HAMB,as well!

21. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

22. bobjeffreson

bobjeffreson

Mitch,
    Mate, I have a 1/4 scale sprintcar body that shape, on the way from California. I plan to build it into a RC car. That scheme is so nice I just might use in...if that's OK?

23. Josh, Michael is right. On page 29, the sequence jumps from #328 to a "no #"(Schoof car) , then to #329.
    In the 2nd numerical listing in the rear of the book, Gordon lists it as #328a, built for Schoof & then evidently sold to Elkins by 1951. Shown as Elkins thru 1954.
    mlight9.

24. jimg12

jimg12

I agree with SteveE. Bowman won at Eldora in the Beck Sprinter [someone correct me if I am wrong]. I know that Hugh Randell drove the 19 at Salem, but that is not him in the picture as Stan was a lot taller than the driver in the picture.
    Merry Christmas everybody,
    Jim Graybeal

25. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

The think about Bowmans win in the Beck car was that he was using the 220 offy, against the bigger offys and the bigger chevy powered cars in the first USAC sprint race ever held at Eldora. I think Stan lived exactly one month after his only USAC win.

26. Bob Coutts

Bob Coutts

Here is some more about the Vermeil Offy Sprint Car. It was built in 1959 by George Shilala. First driven by Jim hurtbise and later sold to Lou Vermeil. Billy Anderson drove it in 72-73. Rich Gentis drove the car in 75-76-77 the only times he did not drive it in thoes years is when he had to honor his commitment to Art Shanoian to drive his midgets. Vermeils only ran the car at Calistoga except for once aat Altmont as Stan @ Lou felt it was not a good short track car against the Chevys. Vermeils ran the car one more year with several different drivers and then parked it. And it was later sold to Australia.Rich Gentis lives in Portland, Oregon and won the Oregon dirt midget championship in my car in 2003. Heraced a couple years after thatandis now Race Director for the Northwest Wingless Tour (traditional sprints @ midgets. Labor Day weekend 2009 at Calistoga Rich drove Del McClures vintage 6cyl. Chevy sprint carto wins both nites in the WRA vintage program. McClure had not been to Calistogasince July 4th 1952 when with Len Sutton driving his sprint car they won both days of racing.

27. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

As far as I know, Rogers didn't drive for Steffen anymore in 1962, he was with Sab Venezia in a new Shilala that year. Maybe Lou Johnson?

I'm sure #19 is the Gutzweiler car, not sure about the driver, though. I thought of Leon Clum, but I think he was already out before the WG races.

28. Mitch G

Mitch G

Mitch,
    Mate, I have a 1/4 scale sprintcar body that shape, on the way from California. I plan to build it into a RC car. That scheme is so nice I just might use in...if that's OK?

Bob, Be my guest, I'd be flattered.

29. Okay, dumb question here-

Did Lloyd drive for you in '61? Or did you just like the name?

30. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Update on one of the "Shaw Spl's" KITS that I've sold. This guy put a quad 4 in his.

Attached Files:

• ss1.jpg
      ss1.jpg
      File size:
      288 KB
      Views:
    • ss2.jpg
      ss2.jpg
      File size:
      382.3 KB
      Views:
    • ss3.jpg