Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FiddyEffie

FiddyEffie

i was selling a set of chevy rallye wheels to a guy for his el-camino. when he came in he saw my 50 f-1, (definately in project mode, we're talkin no clip, no bed, just a frame, drivetrain and cab).
    so he's lookin at it and looks over and says "man i just love these ratrods!" i said oh yeah (not correcting him in hopes he'd be buying my wheels). haha it didn't really piss me off but the cab had paint, no rust...definately doesn't look RAT, i just thought it was funny how loose that term is getting.

2. SLEDRZ

SLEDRZ

An "expert" judge at our local Fall Fair car show mentioned to my wife that our '37 Dodge shouldn't be in the show because there was rust on the bumpers and the car wasn't painted.

3. younggun13

younggun13

I have a 0/t car with a fade paint job a hot shit kid came over and commented on my paint job saying it was blotchy and was an awful paint job its two colors.... he was an expert painter :) I have to admit it is fun to be at shows and go up to a car and say o man thats a sick 59 mustang civic!!! and see the owners faces turn red lol

4. Had a shop tell me I need new manifolds on my O/T because the bolts that hold the pipe on are rusty and snapping off leaving the end in the head. $800+ bill. No one drills them out anymore, he says.

I found a guy who will blow out what's left of the bolts with a torch (I don't have one, and that's why I had it at this shop in the first place), for like a $20, if I take them off. The manifolds are iron, there's no reason to make a headache out of it.

5. 19swinger70

19swinger70

My '70 Dart Swinger has been accused of being a Nova a few times.

6. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

Does it have a Hemi?
    Is that the Christine car?
    It has a Chevy engine?

7. Rusty52

Rusty52

I had a guy walk up to my car, not realizing it was my car, says to his buddy "Too bad the guy was too cheap to plate the grill, otherwise it's a nice car."

Mind you, I bought the car in the condition it's in, and plating the grill of my car is probably gonna be around $2000. Did he really think I opted for a silver paint instead of chrome when everything else is done?? Some people are stupid.

8. kruizin

kruizin

I have had people look my Flatty and say ..Look son see theres a hemi motor their the only motor that has the spark plugs on top and when I say its a 255 mercury flathead, they say I know they made hemi flatheads too!!! Or the best one is when someone says I have one just like it for sale and when I get there its a Stude or Dodge or Chev and its a wagon. This one is good too..I had on just like that!!

9. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

During the build of me and my dads 28 roadster. One guy that my dad knows asked me.
    "What kind of engine are you going to run it it?"
    I said Flathead Ford"
    He said "Those things are water boilers they always run hot"
    I said "Have you ever owned a flat head?"
    He said "No"

He never even owned one and is going to help me out.

What a dick!

10. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

i like your beetle van......(splitscreen)

11. daddyo

daddyo

Is that a kit car? (ANSwer Yeah let me see yours with 65,000 Miles On it) DO you Really like driving it that much!! Uh Yeah!!

12. My wife was in a Texas Walmart parking lot and a Cowboy asked her if her husband was the guy from California that builds those T bucket Roadsters. When she said yes, he said, those are the most worthless pieces o shit I have ever seen.
    His buddy asked her does it plow? Does it harvest? What good is it? I wonder if those two ever had any FUN in thier lives....

13. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

i had a guy come over to look at a car i had for sale and he noticed my '49 Plymouths sitting there too. i stayed in the house because as soon as i saw him coming i wanted nothing to do with him. anyway, my wife goes out to show him the car, which is O/T for here but a Toyota Starlet project with an engine swap. he starts telling her it was a waste to swap in the engine i did because the original one made more power and was used as a "racing" engine, whatever. anyway he then starts telling her how the '49 Plymouths came with 426 Hemi's from the factory and how those must be some real wild cars. she tells him no actually they came with flathead six engines and that the coupe now has a Chevy engine in it. again the "expert" tells her that was a waste putting a Chevy in there to replace the Hemi because Chevy's are junk. mind you he showed up to look at the Toyota driving a busted Chevy S-10. i guess he was a Mopar man stuck driving a Chevy he hated. no idea why he came looking at a "tuner" imported Toyota.

Dave

14. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

More than one guy has said ''I've seen these 3dr's in mexico as taxi's''.
    I've never seen a picture of one, seen one, and i made mine myself.

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      240.3 KB
      Views:
  15. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

Also i heard more than once '' My dad, uncle had a 59 chevy just like that''
    Sometimes ''57 chevy... cool''.

Attached Files:

16. hemi46

hemi46
    Member Emeritus

My 55 Chev sedan delivery has been lowered, and I've been asked how much I've chopped it and shortened it. Also been asked why I painted the windows in my Nomad. My brother has a 56 T-bird, people wanted what year his Studebaker was.

17. ardyboy

ardyboy

I was sitting in the pits one day between rounds and a young father walked up with his son of about six years. He said " Look Jamie, another Corvette. We don't like Corvettes do we?" When I told him it was a Buick he argued for five minutes on why it was a Corvette.

Attached Files:

18. Laurent

Laurent

Funny to read all these story!!
    I heard many time the same story, But I thought it was because I'm living in europe and the people don't know many things about American cars and even less hotrods and Kustoms.... I'm lil bit surprised to see it's the same in America.
    Keep this thread alive, I like it :)

19. kiotes

kiotes

What do you want for the NOVA?
    What nova i say.
    well the one you have in the back. (then he turn to his buddy and said he has no clue what he has, ill get it cheap.)
    Its not a nova i say again.
    it sure is, that is a 65 nova i can spot one of them a mile away.
    ITS NOT A NOVA i say for the third time. go back and look at it
    He comes back with a puzzled look and askes me what a rambler is
    I tell him its not a NOVA and he leaves all in a huff.
    STUPID PEOPLE MAKE THE WORLD FUN!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  20. I was registering at a car show, and tried to get my '56 Cad in the modified class. The Turd who sorts out the cars refused and told me my "1958" Cadillac is bone stock and will go with the classic cars! After arguing with him, I told him that if I go in the classic cars section, then my friends, who own Leadsleds, will park right next to me! He said "no they won't"....yes they did.

21. Darn kid ruined that 37 Ford, they didn't know i was standing there. I said I'm no kid and that Ford was not a antique when it was chopped in 1948. They both shut up and walked away.

22. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

I've heard:

-- "Couldn't afford the fenders?"
    -- "When you gonna paint it?"
    -- "I used to run those 'purple hornies' on my jeep"
    -- "Give it a little more timing and it won't sound like that"

My absolute favorite: "Is this hot? Ahhhh!" lol

23. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

I recently rode my bike to the hardware store and your classic Harley guy walks up in his HD shirt HD jacket and HD hat and asks me "How do you like your Twin Cam?" and I go on about how awesome it is and he procedes to tell me many of the facts that I would know if I rode a Harley. I'm in retail so I see it all but this guy was pretty out there. Oh yeah, its a Yamaha....
    [​IMG][/IMG]

24. prost34

prost34

i remmember my father just finished his 1940 plymouth coupe in the late 80's went to a car show and everyone was asking him if it was a kit car?:confused:

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to a car show in the late 70's with a mostly stock & mostly original '37 Chevy sedan. One yahoo came up to me and said it was a pretty good match. I asked him "What match". He said, Well, they got it right from the cowl on back, but the front clip is wrong". I asked "What the fuck are you talking about ?" He said "The fiberglass bodies never have the cowls right." I told him he had caught me and really knew his cars. He walked away smiling and I broke up laughing.

At the same show, a guy that was blind was led up to the car and asked politely if he could touch the car. I told him he could and he put on a pair of thin cotton gloves and went around the car, feeling the body as he went. When he got all the way around, he thanked me and told me all about the car, make, model, body style - everything except the color and asked me if he was correct. I assurred him he was 100% correct and he smiled and thanked me again and went on to another car. Best guy I ever met at a car show.

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

Are you serious? That story is just about one of the neatest car-related stories I have ever seen! A blind fellow "read" your car with his fingers? Damn!!!! That is flat-out bitchin'! :cool::)

27. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

a few years ago at york,had some stock car expert trying to impress his girl and buddies that the street&performance 3 piece quick change cover (swap meet special to hold me over til i can do the swap)argued with me that the 3 piece cover was real and i didnt know what i was talking about when i told him it was a fake & covering an 8 inch ford

28. sr

sr
    from Monterey

"Is that a 1932 Ford Mustang?"

29. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

no its a 32 granada.

30. bigs merc

bigs merc

I'm at a local car show and I'm sitting with my buddy when half way through the show a really scumy guys pulls in in a mid 80's buick rent-a-car. The scumy guys begins to tell us about a 70 camaro he has that can go 180mph. shows us a picture of it (has flats, broken windows andlots of rust). as soon as he walked away, my buddy says "that thing wouldn"t go 180mph if it was falling off a cliff!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.