Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tax & registration shite in Mass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 333, Dec 11, 2009.

1. 333

I've heard some horror stories here about trying to get a title in Mass, and about the weird tax thing where you have to pay based on some sort of bluebook thing, rather than the price you paid for the car... I just bought a car, a 39 Ford Sedan, from a guy in Illinois, and I -DO- have a title. The car won't be on the road for a year or two... How can I pay a fair amount of tax on it? I bought it for 1300 bucks. Also, does anyone know the deal on Year-of-Manufacture plates? The law says "only for driving to car shows or road testing for driving to car shows," or some such malarchy... Is this really true in practice? I intend to drive the thing every weekend and every chance I get...

2. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

send me your e-mail address and I will e-mail you the paperwork for year of manufacture plates.

3. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

I just went through this a couple of times in the past year at the Mass. RMV. You must bring your title and the bill of sale to the registry and pay sales tax based on the NADA book value. Don't wait to do this because the will go back to the date of purchase and bill you accordingly. You can get an abatement form to submit with pictures , descriptions, and receipts for parts or work you do the the car and a decision will be made to see if you are entitled to a refund of any of the sales tax or not. But it doesn't matter what price is on the bill of sale you pay book value. Also $75.00 for the title. As far as the YOM plates you have to sign an affidavit stating vehicle will be used for exhibitions, parades, and other public interest functions including transportation to and from repair facilities. You may want to check into just registering and insuring it as a regular vehicle. Also YOM plates registration must be renewed each and every year. Good Luck.

4. younggun13

younggun13

I run 66 plates on my 66 nova and have no problems as long as there not being used.

5. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

these are the same rules for antique plates. There is a cruse however every night during warm weather.Never had a problem however just don't drive it to work every day.

6. Okay, but do you pay book value based on the actual condition of the car, or book value based on someone watching too many Barrett-Jackson auctions?

7. I just went through the whole process here in SoCal w/ the DMV regarding the whole YOM Plates. They first inspected the plates to make sure they were in acceptable condition. Next they ran em in the computer, to see if they were clear. After that they photo copied them together, to send to the DMV HQ up north in Sacramento. They used to keep your YOM plates with your folder, and Sacramento would send em back to you with all your new registration. I later find out you must have Insurance on the Vehicle being assigned the new Plates. So That held up the process until I got that out of the way. So now I have the new registration slip and the cars on Non-Op, waiting for me to finish it! It took a lot longer than I anticiapated. If my car would have been done, and I was waiting on the DMV to finish before I was able to drive it.. I would have been punished for monthes & monthes. My renewal fee is $72.00 w/ the personal plates now. Not bad considering my other registration is $66.00 w/o personal plates.
    Here you can use YOM Plates anytime.. Day or Night! OOOOoooohhhHHH!

8. 333

-Which book value, actual condition, or... who knows what - That is the question, isn't it. Thanks all. Useful stuff indeed... Maybe I'll register it in Maine!

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

They will look up the NADA classic listing on the web. You can do the same, then you will know what to expect. They will try to get you for at least the middle of three categories. Try to talk them down to the lowest one which is drivable but needs a little work. Legalized extortion. ..Maine is not as easy as it was. On anything over 25 years you have to have an inspection sticker for that car to show them.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. Sacred Steel

Sacred Steel
    from Mass.

You will either pay tax on the book value or what you paid for it, which ever is higher. They will soak you for every dime they can. You don't need a bill of sale if the title has the price you paid on it. Some states such as Ma. don't have a spot on the title for the price.

11. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

A Mass. title has a box on the back for a price when an individual sells a car.

12. gonzo

gonzo

If you buy the car from a Mass dealer you pay tax on what the sale price was, do you happen to have a friend with a dealership by chance? Otherwise grab ankles and enjoy.

13. Some washington state DMV/ agents try useing the NADA thing too. But if you know the law you can get around it. Any vehicle that was in the previous owners name for more than 7 years here is assumed to have already had taxes paid on it. In this piss poor economy they are trying to soak everybody.

14. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

????? Here they collect a sales tax every time it changes owners and an excise tax every year from the current owner. And, they have decreed that the car is never worth less than 10% of its original value for excise tax purposes.

15. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

arizona is the same way. your YEARLY registration fees are based on the value of the vehicle, which is ridiculous when you consider you will pay twice the registration for a new, or almost new motorcycle than you will for an '80 chevy caprice, where as the caprice will do more damage to the roads as well as pollute more and cause more traffic congestion.

16. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

You have to have a bill of sale if the title is from any state other than Mass. If it's a Mass. title with the sales price on it that's all you need.

17. Sacred Steel

Sacred Steel
    from Mass.

You are correct. My mistake. I was thinking of Pa. titles, there is no box for the price paid. I have bought a few there. One more thing. Make sure all your paperwork is in order becasue they will not hesitate to send you on your way if a T is not crossed. Make sure you can get ahold of the guy you bought the car from incase there is a problem.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention, AVOID THE BROCKTON OFFICE AT ALL COST!

18. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

If someone gives you a good title or you give them one, you still have to
    pay for a new one. Plus the excise tax is one huge rip off.But, we take it,
    and don't fight them.Theives!

19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Now I remember why I moved away from Mass 15 years ago.

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, and I thought New York was fucked up.........oh, wait a minute..... it is!

21. 333

Hey, it's good to hear from all the other Mass. people on here anyway! Tricky stuff to deal with.... So here's another one: the title has the PREVIOUS owner's name on it - as in the guy who sold it to the guy I bought it from. Also Illinois... HIS number is unlisted, I wrote to him, but that was a month ago, and no word back. The guy I bought from does not have a bill of sale from that transaction either... I swear, if I just went to the town hall in Hollis, Maine, where my parents are, I'd just show them my bill of sale, hang onto the title, and pay tax on the $1300 I paid for the thing... Only problem is I don't live there...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  22. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Look around out in the parking lot for him, or at the coffee shop...you will find him;).

You can get an abatement on the sales tax issue. take several pictures of yours and take others that are for sale in the same condition as yours...most of the rmv workers will have a conscience and see its 'true' value. Also, just to add salt to your wounds, if you dont title it immediately(soon) after the sale date on the title you will have to pay a late fee as well!!

hey check out the Massachusetts HAMB user group...weve talked about this a few times.

23. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

We are all Massholes living in Taxachusetts

24. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

the title has the PREVIOUS owner's name on it - as in the guy who sold it to the guy I bought it from. Also Illinois............ Since they are going to whack you for the tax anyway why couldn't you present it as being bought from the guy on the title. I think that if you have a title you don't need a bill of sale. I recently titled an '89 Chev pickup with only a title. Also a '39 Chev with just a South Dakota title. If that title is dated fairly recently it should work. And, as mentioned above , if you did need a bill of sale with the first guys name on it you'll find him close by. ????

25. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

I fought and won on this very issue 12 years ago in Minnesota. The DMV was using the old price guide. Went to the attorney Generals office and filed a complaint. They can't charge you a sales tax on money not spent. You do have to have a bill of sale and a photo of the car.
    Pat

26. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

This is Mass. The have made a fine art out of legalizing extortion. The Department of Revenue makes the rules. The Registry has no say in the matter. You can file an appeal but nobody ever gets an adjustment. Taxing money you don't have is one of their specialties. The Feds do it so Mass. does it too.

27. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Threads like this make me glad I live in Wisconsin, and that it pretty sad considering how high taxes are here.

28. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

People keep electing the tax and spend libs

29. n1gzd

n1gzd
    from Acton, MA

they used to go with NADA #4 but lately they seem to be using #3 (ripoff). I got ripped off every time on the tax. My agent told me to file for an abatement (refund due to mistake). Three months later they rejected my claim. Don't bother trying. Regarding year of manufacturer plates. Don't worry about it. Just drive the car and have fun. Nobody cares.).
    Rebecca

30. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

The voters keep voting them in. They need to start voting these jerks,like Kerry out and tell these new guys if they don't get rid of some of ripoffs
    like auto excise, having to pay for anew title even though you got a good one from the seller, and other scams, etc. we will vote them out too.

I suppose I'm dreaming ,huh? Utopia, haha.