Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carburetor CFM

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbking, Dec 14, 2009.

1. granny

granny
    from WA state

I have a car that runs a carter 625 on a performer rpm. I keep the carter because its easier to get races when i tell them it's got a flat top 350 with a carter 625 and a performer intake. What i don't tell them is that it's got brodix heads and a .650 lift solid roller.
    In today's world of 950hp Holleys and race demons, who could be serious with a little carter carb? the car runs 6.40's in the 1/8th on a poor track.

2. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Thanks for that.

I have ditched the Holley Pro-jection & fitted up a pair of Holley 390s. The tunnel Ram is a Weiand 5988? street manifold and the engine is an early 70s style 302. Probably around 220hp when new. I have a decent ignition

Can you offer advise on jetting for the carb etc and any suggestions regarding timing/plugs that may differ from factory.

Your help is much appreciated.

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I should avoid this, but I have to ask why. Why do you have brodix heads, 650 solid roller and choke it off with a perforer rpm and 625 cfm carb? If you do not want to share with the world what your complete package is, would you at least pm me with some more details. This I would like to know.....

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Gassertodd...PM sent.

5. granny

granny
    from WA state

It really doesn't choke it that much, but most people think it would. My focus is hooking up on really poor tracks (street racing) with a manual trans. I can set it off at 1800 if i need to and it pulls smooth and hard without any traction killing power surges. Having a little carb/manifold helps with an underdog image too, as i really like taking down pro-street and blower cars.

Right now, the 95" wb car is getting a 10" engine setback. Maybe i won't need to set it off at 1800 any more. Might even be able to take some lead out of the rear bumper...or maybe not...pulling the front tires on the street might be fun for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Spike58

Spike58
    from DFW

i have a 429 V8 for my cadillac coupe deville and it has a rochester qudrajet that should be getting in the range of 750-800 cfm's. is that right?

7. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

when someone commented on the dominator on my sbchevy
    my return>''my sbchevy at 10grand thinks it's a fucking bigblock!!!''

Attached Files:

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

I am a less is more kind guy on carbs (race or not) .I am running low 7's in the 1/8 with a 750 Demon on a mild 408 cubic inch small block.I know a guy that is running 6.90's with a slightly hotter 410 cubic inch and a 750 BG carb in a 3200 lb street strip car.IMO the root of alot of problems that people have on race and street cars is way too much cam and carb for the application ,but every application is different.I rely on reading plugs to see where im at as far as carb size and jetting goes ,not what people tell me is the right size carb for the application ,but to each his own...

9. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

if all else fails follow the damn directions

Attached Files: