Register now to get rid of these ads!

Living Legends; most influential people in Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Dec 20, 2009.

1. The original post was about hotrodding so I skip bodymen.
    I really think that the oneas that really brought it to the masses before the Interent
    Bob Larivee
    Tex Smith
    Tom Medley (Stroker McGurk)
    Blackie Gejeian
    Spence Murray
    Alex xydias
    Ed Iskendarian
    Every list like this is too shoirt because you always leave some good guys out.
    I edited this to eliminate those that have past.
    well, Excuse me !

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. mike shults

mike shults
    from auburn ca.

have to agree with philly the greek and jeffsled. i've been lucky enough to attend the christmas party the last few years.the drive down from nor-cal is worth every mile...the whole chrisman family are simply great people.

3. Chuck Carman

Chuck Carman

My facebook buddy Jay Howell.

Attached Files:

4. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Thought the thread was about "Living" legends. Half the people mentioned although legends, are no longer with us !

5. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I was going to say Ryan when the thread first started but thought I'd sound like a brown-noser. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. :p

There are so many living legends out there, how about some of the "newer" ones, like our very own hotrod HAMBassador Denise Sheldon!

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What is about the word "living" that some of you have trouble understanding?

7. oldguy829

oldguy829

Jack Chisenhall

8. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

MAC...goodgreff how about DON GARLITS...pop.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Norm Grabowski of Lead Hill AR. One of the nicest guys I've ever met who introduced us to his Mother as she was helping him hawk his "Street is Swell" posters at the HSRA Nats back when.

Leroi "TEX" Smith whose words and photos brought knowledge and humor to the pages of many car magazines and who saw the new age of hotrodding coming and helped it along.

10. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Couldn't agree more !!!!!

11. Well, since I got called out in a pm by one of the noobs...who called me a 24k SUCKASS for suggesting Ryan......let me defend myself :eek:

The original text of the original post said "most influential". In simple term, to me, that would mean a person who influenced a LARGE group of people. The OP also mentioned "living" persons, so my original thoughts would have been Wally Parks (NHRA) or Robert Petersen (Petersen Publishing--Hot Rod magazine) Those two, through their organizations touched countless hot rodders over the years....and through the Jalopy Journal and HAMB, Ryan is doing the same.

Anybody that couldn't see that would be a total IDIOT.

WHY else would you account for the amazing number of TRADITIONAL cars built and being built in, what, the PAST TEN YEARS? It sure as hell wasn't because of Street Rodder magazine or Nascar or The Learning Channel. :rolleyes:

Sure, Ryan's a schmuck....but you can't deny he is INFLUENTIAL. :cool:

And fwiw, I don't need to brown nose anybody----especially RC. Why the hell would I want to anyway?:confused: I know him, and he ain't "all that".:p Just a regualr guy like the rest of us, just more INFLUENTIAL.

12. richie rebel

richie rebel

big daddy and tv tommy

13. 296ardun

296ardun

Agree, Garlits, Ivo, Grabowski, Art Chrisman, John Bradley, Ed Iskenderian, George Barris (the early years), Karamesines (still racing at 80, or is it 81?) and Arly Langlo (little guy who never won a major, but been here forever).....not a lot of living legends so honoring them this way is very cool.

14. Wolfie

Wolfie

I would have to say Sam and Chip Foose and let's not forget the GREAT Jot Horne.

Wolf

15. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

That dumbass sent me the same PM. :confused:

16. No need, any real HAMBer understands why you would suggest Ryan.

Yep.

OSR™:rolleyes: HAHA, nah you're right JJ & the HAMB has helped Hot Rodders from around the world in ways the old days couldn't dream of doing, instant answers and help with sourcing parts is outstanding and vital for people that can't source parts locally. look at what the Alliance is doing, it is going to be big. Ryan is the 21st century's Wally Parks.

I will put Stu Hilborn's name up, look at what he has achieved at Indy, the dry lakes, drags, boats and numerous other motor sports.

17. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Jim Womack, built injectors and blowers for flatheads, multi disk clutch's in the early 50's. Merced Ca, Was the best head worker in the valley. Crewed for him with the A altered with flat heads forever on the back. Building a nostalgic Willies PU last time we talked.

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget Dick Scritchfield, still upright at 80!!----Founder of the L.A. Roadsters club in 1957!!!-----Don

19. for me has got to be Ray Brown ive allways loved his 32 roadster and the big clincher was meeting him when i was 8 at the good wood festival of speed along with the roadster thats stuck in my brain for ever

20. BISHOP

BISHOP

BRIAN BASS

Looking at his work here on the hamb has made me step my game up. I like the fact he shows his stuff on here too.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  21. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Here are my thoughts....

Bill Campbell I think he is around 83-84 years old. He was the engineer 1/2 of Hurst-Campbell started with George around 1955.

From a strictly PR stand point crossing over to all makes & models Linda Vaughn better known as Miss Hurst.

[email protected]

Good to see Don Garlits mentioned several times over 50 years wth 144 titles to his name. He is around 77 years old. Now does the 1/4 mile in the mid to high 10 second range in his 001 Challenger Drag Pak car.....(Gets a better look at the scenery since he has slowed down somewhat)......