Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Slightly OT,Rat Fink stuff,gotta ask!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BBobb, Dec 21, 2009.

1. BBobb

BBobb

Ok,

I i get the stupidest thread award for 2009 i will gladly accept.

My little girl came to me last night while i was mugging the computer and at the time i was looking at some of the old Ed Roth art work.She got terribly excited and ask if i would paint dome of the art on her walls.....Never gonna happen in a million years.Now i am hoping that with a 90,000 plus members here that maybe one of you guys might know where and if some type of wallcovering and or wallpaper could be purchased...This i can handle!!

UPFRONT THANKS!!!!!!

I put this under Art and Inspiration.Hope it hold up

2. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Ive never seen anything like that. I think you should paint it..whats the difference between wall paper and hand painting it? The effort?

3. Rex at Lowbrau Lines

Rex at Lowbrau Lines
    from Mesa, AZ

You could make your own stencil if you want to go through the trouble and paint it yourself. It will take some time but check it out. Trace the image with tracing paper. Make the outlines very dark on a second pass with a marker. You can make the image more simple that way too by eliminating some of the detail lines. Take a bright light and use the paper to project your outline on the wall. You can make it bigger this way too. Trace your lines on the wall with some pencil. Bamb! image on wall. Buy some acrylic paints from a craft store and paint by the numbers. End result? One happy kid. One proud parent/artist that can lie to all the other parents about painting it freehand.

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

If anything, you could borrow or rent an overhead projector and do it yourself pretty easy.

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I wouldn't say it's off topic, thats neat that she wants rat fink on her walls!!:D

6. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

We have a chain around here called Hobby Lobby. They sell a projector for around $40 jsut for this purpose. They also regularly have coupons for 40% off one item. We bought one to paint girly stuff on our kids' walls. It'll make your pictures as big as you want (within reason). It's pretty cool.

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here's a link to fathead, i'm not sure if they would do one of these or not, maby you could get permission for a one off. http://www.fathead.com/custom/

8. RodStRace

RodStRace

9. Sorry, I don't have a solution for you, just a comment...........

This just goes to show what a classic icon the Rat Fink is. Big Daddy Roth came up with him years ago and there are still people, young and old, that discover old art like the Rat Fink all the time. It has already been so long since BDR left this world and I think it is awesome his legacy still lives on. His art truly is a gift left for all of us. Great to see some of our young up and comers still find the old stuff charming that we had as kids and have grown to love over the years.

It's neat that your little girl has taken a liking to the ol' Rat. Good luck with your wallpaper search and hopefully you can pull it off and make her happy! E

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i wonder who owns the copyrights? if he explained what he is doing, maby they will give him permission to do one.

11. BBobb

BBobb

I have thought about one or more of the suggestion that have been made here.I have a paper hanging crew i contract out to in my business,just hoping i can take the easy way out with wallcovering,if not i will attempt to stencil it all on and paint it myself.....sometime laziness has it's benefits

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My kid wanted a Rat Fink skateboard....she got one. She's only 5. What's she gonna want when she's 16?!

13. mckustoms

mckustoms

How about just getting posters?

14. PITRE ART

PITRE ART

I agree!

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

better start building :D

here's the official site, maby they can tell who to contact for rights permission. as long as you have something that shows you have the right to do it,fathead will do anything. http://www.bigdaddyroth.com/

16. RodStRace

RodStRace

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  17. brandon

brandon

x2....then its a paint by numbers kinda deal. i've done it for customers over the years.

18. Lunchboxlbc

Lunchboxlbc

Doing a vinyl wall mural is pretty easy. You just need to find a place like Gigantic Color here in Dallas (http://www.giganticcolor.com/products/Murals.htm) They can print any size you want, cut any shape you want (similar to Fatheads). Heck you can even layer lettering on top of your images. Cost, might be an issue as one offs are rarely cheap, and you need to have rights to the images you are wanting use.

The other option would be for you to paint it smaller on board, then have a super high res scan done for blowing up the scale. Then have that printed huge. Just a thought.

Good luck!

19. BBobb

BBobb

Rat Fink on her walls....My little girl is fifteen...lol

20. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Id do the projector and then trace it, then id make her paint it in, you could even make it a paint by number.

21. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Its better than her asking for the Jonas brothers on her walls. My mom is (was) a graphic artist and she used the projector screen for issues like these. I say try it...im sure she would think its cool no matter what.

22. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Hmmmm .... How about this thing?

Brother Rat Fink Big Drape

[​IMG]

Rat Fink Grid Big Drape
    [​IMG]

"Rat Fink Big Cloth! It's HUGE! Made of towel like fabric, you can use this full color cloth as a blanket, throw rug, tapestry, seat cover, curtain, body wrap... or just about anything! Measures 225x150cm (7.3 FT x 4.9 FT) It's big! Choose between Brother RAT FINK or RF Pop Grid designs also available. Price is for one (1)."

"Our Price: $45.00"

Mooneyes has a bunch of stuff in that vein. They have some mini-posters you could put all over her walls, too.

23. great now as soon as my girls hear about it- the 8 yr old has RF dolls & posters,stickers and always has to watch the Tales Of the Ratfink dvd and uses the RatFink creeper seat in the shop

24. dayuum Shmoozo that stuff is bitchin man!

25. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

I got to admit the drapes are cool. But i'm the kind of person who loves the process. I'de go with the projector. There real cheap at Art supply stores Get the pictures you want and stick em under the projector. You can blow em up as big as you want and trace them onto the wall. Then paint it. Paint it together with your daughter....Make it a father-daughter project.

26. RodStRace

RodStRace

Cajun Kenny, Too true! Just added yesterday too!
    Now I know what I want to hang behind the seats in the van!!!!
    I agree that a father/daughter deal is better tho!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  27. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

you can go to http:www.fathead.com and upload a picture. they make it really big and it's a sticker, suppose to not mess anything up, ie, the wall. never done any business with them.

28. 454navyss

454navyss

if i ever have a kid i hope he/she asks me to paint rat fink in their bedroom

aside from the projector idea, what about hiring somebody to paint her room for her?

29. jj mack

jj mack

Yep! Thats what i did...not a rat fink pic...but Mickey and the gang!