Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie Icon - SLOPERS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oz40, Mar 3, 2009.

1. 68wagon

68wagon

i dont know exactly what year but from what ive been told this is a badge from a holden built buick
    [​IMG]

2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Like early Volvos,,,,,, they just seem "off a lil".:cool:

3. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Here is my American counterpart to the Aussie sloper.

Attached Files:

4. Those are good lookin cars. I'm surprised more wasn't done with them back in the old custom days.

5. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yea, just amongst the Hispanic community.

6. oz40

oz40

C'mon guys,
    Give me more pics of more slopers.
    I know there is tons of pics, in early Custom Rodder, Australian Rodding, Australian Street Rodding, Cruisin mags but unfortunately I dont have access to any here to be able to post here.
    thanks
    oz40

7. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I have to go to australia... Do they have utes and slopers in new zealand as well?

8. oz40

oz40

I just on sold my 39 deluxe sloper to a client in Italy.(32 5w coupe)
    He is looking to pass it on also.
    Its a full project , but hey look at what X38's done, this is the next candidate.

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's a 1/24th AMT '39/'40 Tudor I converted to a sloper around 25 years ago. I might build this model one day. A lot easier to do the conversion on a plastic body but I am sure it could be done to a tudor. Apart from taking pie cuts out of the sides of the body and re shaping the rear section of the body as it is brought down into it's new postion. The rear split window needed to be moved up in the rear of the body. This was all done using reference photos from various magazine and other books.
    If I was to do this body conversion today on another model I would do things a little differently.
    Another guy here also did this conversion not long after I had done mine and one of the resin casters here foffered them in resin. Not sure if they are still available.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spoggie likes this.
  10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

NICE. I like the girl too. I'd love to have a clone of this one. Gary

[​IMG]

11. No, not unless someone shipped them over.

12. Gee

Gee
    from Australia

heres my 1/24 AMT tudor>sloper conversion i gave to my dad for his 60th a few years back..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ehdubya

ehdubya

ha, yeah those kiwis are dumb enough to try and drive home, the Tasman sea floor is probably littered with them. Actually NZ would have to have more Oz cars than anywhere but Oz.

14. billygoat67

billygoat67

those aussies got all the cool stuff, slopers,utes. what else a leg lamp in every window?

15. Ah! These things are AUSTRIAN !

Post WW2 no slopers. 1945 to 1950 we got -
    -Ford V8 ute & 4door sedan
    -Merc- ditto but only 'till '48
    -Chev- ute & sedan,
    -Pontiac- ditto ( no ute )
    -Olds , BUICK- 4 door sedan only 'till '48
    No Caddys
    Dodge, Plymouth- 4 door sedan only- no Chrysler or DeSoto
    Credit squeeze killed off the imports post '48. So did the launch in 1948 of the HOLDEN.

What about that badass black NSW 39 chev sloper ( Gary Rice ?) from outta the 70's ? That looked a ripper.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  16. Mart

Mart

These were submitted to my web pages probably something like 10 years ago (gulp!)
    By Rick Lowe.
    [​IMG]

17. rusty55desoto

rusty55desoto
    from west oz

they were also reffered to as a "bussinesmans coupe" so the salesman types that needed a ute for work days (seat folds down to load your wares in) and a car for the weekends to load the kids and dog in

18. chevute

chevute

Bringin' back an old thread I know.
    Any new photo's out there????

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      12.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  19. Interesting comments from the Americans who like the Aussie body styles. And what did the Aussies want? American bodies of course.

I think they can be summed up as "The grass is always greener....."

20. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I will call it unique, we like to have something that stands out in the crowd. My UTE looks familiar to many Americans but confuses those that know about vintage cars more than those that know very little. I am sure that since the Australian market got mostly European cars and mostly sedans that they would like the 2- doors and convertibles that were not offered there. Much like the Hot Rod and custom builders like to change the looks of their cars, My Desoto is unique in this market but the factory did the work.

21. This fits..

Attached Files:

22. Wow, this car rules.

23. DougHH

DougHH

I never knew Slopers were aussie only huh. you learn somethin new every day. around the time i bought my 36 chev moredoor i was looking at buying a 36 chev sloper instead. the sloper wasnt in as solid of a condition as the moredoor (at the time an orig condition registered running 36) so i went with the moredoor but i do love those slopers..

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

40 Olds sloper.jpg 40 Olds sloper 2.jpg 1936-CHEVY-SLOPER-006.jpg 1936-CHEVY-SLOPER-006_small.jpg FMK8_080_p.jpg FMK8_092_p.jpg 1940 Olds, 1935 & 36 Chev's

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Oldsmobile Sloper 1940 1.jpg Oldsmobile Sloper 1940 2.jpg Oldsmobile Sloper 1940 3.jpg A few more

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  26. Never heard of 'em or seen one ,but they're neater'n hell! Slanted B piller is way cool.

27. RHB785

RHB785

I've just bought a 1939 6 cylinder Pontiac Sloper. It's in original condition, needs a respray and a little work on the interior. I'll post some pics when I get her home in a couple of weeks. I live in Newcastle just north of Sydney and the car is in Townsville in North Queensland. I won't be rodding her but will be doing some safety and comfort mods.

Regards,
    Ross.

28. Here is pic of a 39 Chev Sloper I took at the 1977 Street Rod Nationals at Narandera here in Oz. Wild car!

[​IMG]

29. hotcargo

hotcargo

Ha ha ha .........thats my arm hangin' on the door of Ricey's sloper

argh.....the memories.................

30. RHB785

RHB785

Hm, Narandera 1977. I was down that way in 1977, posted at the RAAF base at Forest Hill. Also good to see another Hunter Valley member on an American board.

Regards,
    Ross