Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you think of Hot rod deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Master of None, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Master of None

Master of None

Either way you get a hold of a copy of TRJ their worth their weight in gold for the picture quality

2. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

You are correct sir. Calling The Rodders Journal a magazine should be a crime. Great publication and worth every penny.

3. smog7

smog7

I love HRD, but it is just so damn expensive

4. I LOVE the vintage engine build articles in HRD. I however will NOT be buying another Garage after this last one. Great art direction and what not but after seeing the Wal-Mart and HD ads and not being to interested in the writing I've said no more. I'm sticking with TRJ and my COVETED, well read copies of Hop-Up.

5. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I just picked up 2 copies of the issue with Don Prudhome's Hot Wheels Rig. One for me and one for my brother (Along with the Newest Rodders Journal and a Hemmings) in Brazil . I think it's a great mag.

6. customcory

customcory

I wish they would make magazines small again, maybe it would be cheaper to publish and there would be less advertising, just thinking about that the other day. I got the first 2 issues of HRD, then it dissapeared in my area. Only recently I have seen it for sale in the Autozone, I think they are going to carry it. Its a good magazine!

7. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Luckily they also sells Hot Rod Deluxe at newspaper stands here in norway. I guess they don't offer subscriptions because they don't know how long they will publish the magazine.... just my guess though

8. richydab

richydab
    from UK

Here in the UK I guess I'm one of few TRJ and HRD readers: they're superb publications written by people who obviously love the subject and the job they do. Compare it with the dreadful Custom Car magazine - often badly written and poorly photographed and no reflection of the UK rodding movement.

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There's a very simple reason why there are no "small books", it's called display space. HONK!, R&C, CC and a couple of other digest size books were lost on the typical magazine display rack. Less advertising equals a higher cover price!

HRD is a pure gold mine when it comes to generating income for the publisher. However, I can't remember if it's CitiBank or Chase that owns Source Interlink that used to be PriMedia that used to be McMullen-Argus that used to be Petersen Publishing and they don't know jackshit about the magazine business.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Wish they would stop using really bad full page photos, and have a little more real content. Sould not be too hard with all their resources. Less artsy fartsy, and more history would be nice.

11. if you already buy the magazine why do you need a subscription...a lack of subscription for the magazine means we wont get a thread on here in the future titled `i subscribe to HRD and haven`t had a copy for a few months, have they gone tits up`...

i like the magazine and we get it on the news stands over here in the UK which is a bonus...TRJ is by far the best hot rod publication imo but the others serve their purpose and if they`re jumping on this supposed band wagon called `trad` then hey wtf...enjoy it `til they latch onto something else...just carry on reading the HAMB...its a hot rod magazine in real time!!

12. So call the cops and put me in jail. Or better yet, just write me a ticket and I'll send the fine to Ryan. :D

13. edweird

edweird

I like it because the stuff they feature is not a junky ass pile of parts scabbed together. They show good quality traditional stuff.

14. hemi

hemi

They explained why they don't have a subscription service... It was something along the lines of if they do, the bean counters start to really scrutinize it and pack it full of ads. Then they start fretting over it like the other mags and the quality goes down.

If they do it without the subs they have more control over it and it has a better chance for survival.

The original HRD didn't pass because they were going through an ownership change and at the time the reader base was deemed too small to support the costs.

15. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I actually have the first HRD, then couldn't ever find it anywhere. I like the vintage photos from the hot rod archives.

16. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

The best is Rod and Kulture, but HRD comes a close second

17. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

the best issue of HRD is Sept. 09 the one with the ED Iskenderian article

18. Im so disapointed at most the new mags that I just stock up on old stuff I like and dont have in my stash..........gotta admit I still like Hot Rod and even car craft (wtf $10 a year) but HRD is very cool