Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Machine Shop in Houston Tx.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteDevilsCC, Dec 14, 2009.

1. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

A buddy of mine is rebuilding a motor and needs some machine work done. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good reliable shop in the area? I'm not real sure what all he wants or needs done but I am looking for a shop that is capable of handling pretty much anything. I do really appreciate any suggestions any of you might have. You can pm me with their info if you would like.

2. My buddy Jeff Gibson is a world champion drag boat racer. His father, Gary or "Pineapple" as we called him, was also heavily involved in auto drag racing, as well as powerboats. They have used Tommy Costales for many years.
    http://houstonengine.com/

3. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Thanks alot Richard D I will pass on this info if anyone else knows of a place please let me know and i will pass it on

4. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

5. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

try spillers automotive (sp) they are very heavily involved in the houston area dirt track racing scene and build some incredibly powerful engines

6. david363

david363
    from Texas

G&G Performance in Rosehill,Tx Talk to Joe & Chris 281-351-6202

7. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

8. houston54

houston54

Motor City, 10819 Barely Lane
    FM 1960 & Jones Road Area
    281 890 8968
    Ask for Chriss.

9. BBobb

BBobb

Owens in Pearland.They have been pumping out the horse power for many years.They are honest and they back up there work

10. cooger

cooger

had a pair of double hump heads worked over by Motor City--did a great job, fair price, plus Chriss is one hell of a cool dude--if you like to talk about the way things used to be--carbs, 93 octane regular, junkyard built hot rods, etc.

11. jonny rocket

jonny rocket

Griggs Performance Engines
    281-355-1320
    23307 Hardy Rd. Building A
    Spring, TX. 77373

Tim is the owner. He rebuilt my 390 motor that is in my '65 T-bird.

12. yt boy

yt boy
    from Spring,Tx

Thanks Lue! Thanks guys! I haven't had much time to get this show on the road. I'm looking to have a mild SBF built. I want it to be real "special" though. Sorta sleeper style. So far I'm in the $4k shortblock range. I called Houston Engines today. I will call more tomorrow.

Thanks!!

13. That seems like big money for an SBF. Steel stroker crank and a roller cam?

14. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

thats the problem the places hes called are wanting big money to build this motor and they arent doing anything special

15. Harris Engine and Grinding 13129 verdun Houston 281-458-7696 Great on sbc and flatheads

Bruce

16. RAY With

RAY With

I second this as to Owens and next to Owens is Custom Automotive Machine -Jeff Wahlburg on Pinemont. Either one of these shops is superior to any others period and I have used them all.

17. yt boy

yt boy
    from Spring,Tx

That was the idea but 4k isnt in the budget for this engine. The delima I have is that I want to use local talent but I found a company that will send me a 331 short block with a laundry list of upgrades for $2750 shipped.This includes flat top valve clearanced forged pistons, forged h-beam rods, fully balanced, blueprinted, studded mains, with a main girdle. The name of the company is DSS Racing.

18. yt boy

yt boy
    from Spring,Tx

Thanks guys for all the help. I am having a shop here in Spring perform the rebuild. Competition Automotive Machine (CAM). The price with american made parts is around $2200 for the shortblock. I'm not sure why some of the shops are so expensive. An unnamed shop wanted to charge me $1500 for the exact same rotating assembly that I can buy on Summit Racing for $1000. Anyways, thanks again!

19. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Most machine shops can't compete on parts with summit and jegs, their volume gets them huge pricing discounts. The problem is that a lot of machine shops also don't like customers bringing in their own parts because it causes delays. for example the block has to be measured, bored, then the pistons are purchased, then put them in etc etc. Same for bearings.

We go through the same thing at our shop. We don't have a problem with outside parts, but 9 times out of 10, it does take longer to finish the engine that way.

20. yt boy

yt boy
    from Spring,Tx

I know there are a lot of variable too. I can appreciate the honesty of these shops. CAM is truly a mom & pop shop. Willard the owner does the motor work. His wife does the quotes and parts runs and the son Troy does head work. I can't wait now. The 289 in the car is smoking pretty bad.