Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing Air Bags On My '56 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Century, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Century

Century

I'm currently installing air suspension in my 1956 Buick. I've done lots of searching and was very grateful for those that posted their results, so I figured I would post my progress.

As of now, I have everything disassembled and and will soon order parts. I wanted to get everything apart first so I ordered everything right the first time. I'm in Canada, so shipping isn't the greatest.

Please note: the bricks in the pictures are not supporting the car. They are there as a precautionary measure.

Here's the compressor I borrowed from my neighbor. It's a 26 gallon Campbell Hausfeld. I'm looking for a 60 gallon for myself.

[​IMG]

Front disassembled:

[​IMG]

Front upper mount location:

[​IMG]

Front upper shock mount:

[​IMG]

Front lower mount location:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear upper mount location:

[​IMG]

Rear lower Mount location:

[​IMG]

Stock torque tube setup:

[​IMG]

I threw on a wheel and jacked up the lower A arm until the bump stop hit to see how low it will go. It doesn't seem like it will go very low at all. Any solution to this? You can also see my cramped work space in the following pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The steering was very loose so I will probably replace some of the steering components when putting it back together (I have to do the tie rods anyway since I hammered the shit out of them trying to get them out).

I was thinking of using S10 upper and lower cups for the front pictured here. They have the bolt going through the shock tower for the uppers and the two bolts where the shock fastens for the lowers.

[​IMG]

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do the rears. Any ideas are appreciated. Please note, I don't weld so I'm trying to keep fabrication to minimum.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  2. norod938

norod938
    from dallas

air ride technologies sells a kit that you can put together yourself, comes with plates and round stock.

3. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

so dose gambino kustoms

4. Century

Century

Does anyone know how to get it to sit lower without dropped spindles?

5. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

I have a 47 buick which has the same suspension, i have it laying full frame on air ride. the rear i notched the frame two inches and cut the crossmember where the panhard bar hit to get it lower the parking brake cables also had to come out. For the front i took the bump stops off and then cut our where the bump stops mounted so it sat about two inches lower. You may need to heat up the steering arms and lower them to get under the frame while its slammed all the way down. The rear springs were pretty much just replaced with the air bag. i torched a mounting plate for the top and bottom. The front i made the plates and used 3 inch diameter 1/4 tubing to lower the bag on the to the lower a arm so it doesn't rub on the spring well!! Hope this helps!! pretty easy to get a buick sitting low! good luck!!!![​IMG]:)

6. Cruiser

Cruiser

Century<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4589258", true); </SCRIPT> - Call Bret at Air Ride Technologies and they'll set you up with all you need to know. Air Ride was the first to apply air bags to custom cars and know what there doing. Check there site out.

http://www.ridetech.com/shop/

Contact
    <ADDRESS>RideTech
    350 S. St. Charles St
    Jasper, Indiana, 47546</ADDRESS>
    [email protected] Phone: 812.481.4787 Fax: 812.634.6632 <!-- BEGIN PHP Live! code, (c) OSI Codes Inc. --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://ridetech.com/live_help/js/status_image.php?base_url=http://ridetech.com/live_help&l=admin&x=1&deptid=1&text=Live+Support"></SCRIPT><STYLE type=text/css><!--#ProactiveSupport_9293153 {visibility:hidden; position:absolute; height:1; width:1; top:0; left:0;}--></STYLE>Live Support[​IMG]

CRUISER :cool:<!-- END PHP Live! code : (c) OSI Codes Inc. -->

7. mckustoms

mckustoms

I'll be watching your thread. I have a 56 Buick 2 door post. And will maybe will add air ride at a later date. Will like to see what you come up with on yours.
    Steve///

8. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Why buy the most expensive stuff out there when other companies offer products of equal or greater value for less money. Perfect example is the Slam Specialties bags are WAY better designed and built then the ones ART uses.

For the original person posting. Do not use the S-10 cups. They might fit but they will not sit in the pocket the right way which will cause premature wear and failures. You are better off calling Gambino or someone else who has the experience making the right ones or get the DIY kit.

9. Century

Century

I'm going with an Air Lift kit from kustombuilder here on the HAMB. I'll most likely be going with Dominator 2500 bags all around, any objections?

I decided to make my own cups with a DIY kit. I'll see if a buddy can weld them up for me.

10. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Post some pics when you get going on it.

11. southern iron

southern iron

i would go with 2600's all the way around ... 2500 is more for the front of mini trucks..it would take more psi to lift that heavy beast and will ride super stiff ..if i was doing the set up i would build upper cups and plate the lower arm ..no need for a lower cup

12. Century

Century

I would go with the 2600s, but I don't think I could fit them. If you look at the pic below, the distance between both ends (where the rivets are) is about 7.3". There's not much I can cut there, so it will barely fit the 7" bag.

I'll update when I get this thing going.

13. Grunion

Grunion

Here is mine. I offer a direct bolt in cup for the front let me know if I can help.
    [​IMG]

14. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Here is my Olds I did years ago. All I did for the front was removed bump stops and mounts, trim spring pocket in frame for bag clearance, make upper and lower cups, and relocate the shocks outside the frame. The rear on mine was originally leaf springs, so I made "truck arm" style arms and stepped the frame. It would lay frame all the way around with no dropped spindles.

Attached Files:

15. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

Working on a '55. Thought you might like to see how I'm doing it. Mocked up the front, working on the rear. First try at Air-ride.

Attached Files:

16. Century

Century

Nice shock mount relocation. Great idea.

17. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

call Gambino! Alex is awesome, knows his shit! I bought my stuff from him and he answers his phone personally if you have any tech questions! And there isnt a nicer guy out there!

18. Century

Century

What is the best way to go about slicing up the 5" OD tubing to make the mounting cups?

19. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cradled it in my vise, used a cutoff wheel, its easier to mark your line (triple check to make sure it where you want it) and the score the line several inches at a time.. as in work the cut all the way around the pipe so the depth is the same all around. It works better for me than plunging the wheel all the way through in one spot at a time.. you end up with a cleaner cut..

I hope that made sense, Im pretty deep into the painkillers right now after my surgery...

20. hackery

hackery

Century, you get any progress on bagging your Buick? I will be starting mine in a couple of weeks as well and if yours is finished, any tips and triks would be appreciated, thanks.

21. Century

Century

The projects been put on hold for the winter, but the weather is warming up so I'll get back on it soon.

I just have to make the cups and run the lines. I did notice that the passender side exhaust pipe hits the axle and doesn't allow it to get low, so that will have to be rerouted. Other than that, it seems pretty straight forward.

I'll get you the measurements for the cups and whatnot once I get those done. Have you ordered a kit?

22. hackery

hackery

23. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

Hackery requested a pic, so here it is. Here's a pic of the lower mount. I welded a stud for the rear, and used the front a arm bolt.

Attached Files:

24. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Looking forward to this install.

25. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

I took the body off the frame today, and I'll be welding in the 4-bar this week. I will post progress pics if anyone is interested.

26. hackery

hackery

Definitely, post your progress. I'll be posting mine as well in a couple of weeks.

BTW, regarding the font setup. Did you remove the link kit that connects to the front sway bar? Is that needed in order to get it down low?

27. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

Yes- The geometry changed. I will install another swaybar, maybe a thicker one. maybe overkill.

28. bonesmsd

bonesmsd
    from Redding Ca

Made a little progress over the weekend. Thought you Buick guys might be interested. Keep in mind, this is my first attempt at air ride/ 4 link suspension. Got the body off the frame, and got everything measured and tacked in the bag supports and upper bars. Everything is just mocked up.

Attached Files:

29. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I see you wrote 4 link and "upper bars". I ass u me the lower ones aren't mocked yet. Looking real nice, keep em pics coming!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.